Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Head

My thoughts on starbuzz and the general idea of how to prepare it.

Question

I don't really understand why people in videos and such say that when preparing star buzz, use less holes and small ones at that, some people go as far to pinprick a bunch of holes over the foil. I don't understand this at all. I packed more in there than what's recommended. Its barely below the rim but fully filled with a fluff pack at the point where I'd have to actually dense pack if I added any more. I did use small holes but I don't understand that either because all that ended up doing is making me need to apply the coils directly over the tobacco in my 80ft bowl rather than hang off the edges like normal. That tells me it wasn't getting enough heat, to be more specific I did 4 rings of holes with a fumari poker just barely going over tip deep, not pin prick size small but yeah. And if memory serves me nobody in videos who smokes starbuzz say to apply the coals hanging over at all. I mean this is working just fine now but why is this viewed as a brand that needs only a small amount of heat and to be delicate with the amount you pack? I don't understand that at all, it can take heat almost as good as haze, definitely more than AF if you want any flavor or cloud output. Just doesn't make sense to me. A little bit of starbuzz goes a long way? I don't think so. I can never get it to smoke without really putting some in the bowl. Any thoughts on this? Am I just crazy?

PS: I find that social smoke operates in a similar fashion and needs more heat, honestly I almost feel at this point, the wetter the tobacco, the more heat you'll need, and to my experience with standard nakhla which is quite dry in comparison, is far easier to burn

3 answers to this question

The only brand I've noticed that benefits from under packing is social smoke. It smokes well even if you skimp on it.

Everything else though I fluff pack to the rim and pat it down nothing special with holes or anything. Starbuzz is just like any other brand pack it the same way.

The only brand that's different is tangiers, which requires a very dense pack.

I don't really understand why people in videos and such say that when preparing star buzz, use less holes and small ones at that, some people go as far to pinprick a bunch of holes over the foil. I don't understand this at all. I packed more in there than what's recommended. Its barely below the rim but fully filled with a fluff pack at the point where I'd have to actually dense pack if I added any more. I did use small holes but I don't understand that either because all that ended up doing is making me need to apply the coils directly over the tobacco in my 80ft bowl rather than hang off the edges like normal. That tells me it wasn't getting enough heat, to be more specific I did 4 rings of holes with a fumari poker just barely going over tip deep, not pin prick size small but yeah. And if memory serves me nobody in videos who smokes starbuzz say to apply the coals hanging over at all. I mean this is working just fine now but why is this viewed as a brand that needs only a small amount of heat and to be delicate with the amount you pack? I don't understand that at all, it can take heat almost as good as haze, definitely more than AF if you want any flavor or cloud output. Just doesn't make sense to me. A little bit of starbuzz goes a long way? I don't think so. I can never get it to smoke without really putting some in the bowl. Any thoughts on this? Am I just crazy?

PS: I find that social smoke operates in a similar fashion and needs more heat, honestly I almost feel at this point, the wetter the tobacco, the more heat you'll need, and to my experience with standard nakhla which is quite dry in comparison, is far easier to burn

I find it to be the exact opposite. I've never burned nakhla even the standard line. Whereas starbuzz I've burned it with foil all the time I'll admit it lol. Starbuzz is a tad different for me, I get okay results with foil but with the lotus I feel like I'm living in clots city with Lando haha. Social smoke is pretty sensitive, at first to start it you'll need a lot of heat but once it's going you can't push too much I've got close to burning it before but it recovers really fast unlike starbuzz. That being said I do like them just as equally!

The only brand I've noticed that benefits from under packing is social smoke. It smokes well even if you skimp on it.

Everything else though I fluff pack to the rim and pat it down nothing special with holes or anything. Starbuzz is just like any other brand pack it the same way.

The only brand that's different is tangiers, which requires a very dense pack.

That's pretty much true, you can tweak each tobacco a bit but that's all you really need to do

I find it to be the exact opposite. I've never burned nakhla even the standard line. Whereas starbuzz I've burned it with foil all the time I'll admit it lol. Starbuzz is a tad different for me, I get okay results with foil but with the lotus I feel like I'm living in clots city with Lando haha. Social smoke is pretty sensitive, at first to start it you'll need a lot of heat but once it's going you can't push too much I've got close to burning it before but it recovers really fast unlike starbuzz. That being said I do like them just as equally!

I can't really enjoy starbuzz unless I'm almost burning it just because the flavors are so light for me. I like a bigger punch lol