Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Mold :[

Question

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Has anyone else had mold grow in the base of their hookah? Do you know how to fix this? I don't know if it's dangerous to keep smoking with mold but it can't be healthy. I don't clean it very often because I'm busy and hookah is my lazy, relaxing time when I definitely don't want to clean, haha. Also the hookah I usually smoke from is fairly large and kind of a pain in the butt to clean.

18 answers to this question

Guest vincent09

For one, CLEAN YOUR DAMN PIPE lol. and for 2, mold will not hurt you, but it is pretty gross.

Guest Whoswho

idk about that vincent lol. I would totally give your hookah a total wtfcleaning.

a mix of lemon juice, baking soda, warm water to clean the stem with a nice pipe cleaner.

Im pretty sure having mold in the base is not a good thing, cause well...you're smoking what comes out of that you know. just fill the base with a lemon juice bakin soda mix to the very top, and leave it in there over night. I usually add a shot or two of vodka will clean it all up no worries.

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Speaking of the stem, that reminds me... When I do clean the stem the water comes out a blueish green. Do you know what that could be? Some kind of rust or something?

Seriously..., How often do you clean the poor thing?

Guest vincent09

How bout you clean it after you use it? lol

Guest trapman

i just read this for the first time and i think i cryed

send it to me!

ill make it non moldy and stop the bad colors ='[

it can totaly not be healthy for you lol

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Not nearly as often as I should. :[ I'll start taking better care of it. It's really a beautiful, old hookah. I should post pictures of it.

Guest Whoswho

go to lamp repair store/ have them cut a brass stem for you. (same diameter/metal) / replace the poor stem/ dig grave for old stem/ give last rights/ burry the old stem.

theres a thin red line between healthy and you are smoking asbestos...if you dont want to buy a new stem (2-3 dollars at a lamp repair shop cheaper than at a tobacco/hookah supply). get some uber pipe cleaner, get cleanser that foams when used, add baking soda to the cleanser, seriosly soak it over night using the pipe cleaner. take it out, drown it in water/ rinse/ drown again/ repeat. make a solution of baking soda/ lemon juice, pour the solution downt he stem, holding one end so it stays in; use a clean pipe cleaner, clean. rinse with water.

CLR works against rust, that might work, but i would just rinse it out carfeully...but then again, i think it would just be safer/cleaner/healthier to jst buy new stem custom fit to the old one. pics pweeaaaseee

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Oh geez. I couldn't replace the stem, it's far too beautiful. It's built with three glass bulbs that look like they've been hand painted. I'll try the CLR and stuff for sure, though. Thanks. :]

Guest vincent09
Oh geez. I couldn't replace the stem, it's far too beautiful. It's built with three glass bulbs that look like they've been hand painted. I'll try the CLR and stuff for sure, though. Thanks. :]

I'm sure he didn't mean the shaft. The actual stem is what he is talking about. Depends on if your hookah has an internal stem like most syrians or if it is basically just hollowed out like most egyptians.

Guest Whoswho
I'm sure he didn't mean the shaft. The actual stem is what he is talking about. Depends on if your hookah has an internal stem like most syrians or if it is basically just hollowed out like most egyptians.

Indeed :) i wouldnt suggest something if i wouldnt do it myself. my hookahs all have internal stems, so thats what i've done before

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Oh, do you mean the kind that screw on and off at the bottom? I have one of those but unforntunately this isn't one of them. Plus, I'd still have to clean the top half of the stem... Still I wish it did do that because this thing is giant and I have to clean it in the bathtub.

Anyway, I just bought some Draino and poured it in. It's too big to fit in any of the sinks so I couldn't soak it. Instead I wrapped a disposible rubber glove around the bottom and secured it with a rubber band. It's sitting up right and rust colored foam is spewing from the top. It's really cool, haha.

Guest GreenTeaPirate

Fuck, I can't believe I used draino instead of rust remover. I don't know what I was thinking. I just poured it out. It took off a tiny bit of the paint. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Guest Whoswho

draino is worst that mold in my opinion lol. all the chemicals in that are seriously bad for mojo and your health.

I'd get some rubbing alcohol, lemon juice, baking soda, and pour that mix down the stem. buy a pipe cleaner, and go at it

Guest GreenTeaPirate

I know... I was using it for the rust. It was right next to the CLR and Lime Away in the grocery store so I just grabbed it without thinking because it said "Gel," and I thought "Oh, gel that will be good." Hahaha. Then after I had it sitting in the stem for awhile I realized what a big mistake I made.

Guest Whoswho

yeah, i mean, it just means you have to clean it more thoroughly. what kinda metal is it again??

Guest GreenTeaPirate

The stem looks like it's made of copper...

Guest Whoswho

wel...dont forget that when coppper naturally oxydizes....it turns green : / kinda like the statue o liberty.