Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TwoDog Brewery

Hi I'm pretty new to hookah and have some questions

Question

For the moment I just have a little cheap gstar hookah off amazon and it's ok I will get a better one soon. I also got a nammor hose from Texas hookah and it came in today and I was surprised to find part of the tip that goes into the hose port is flat. Is this common or did I get a bad hose? It also is to big for the cheap gstar hookah and I'm not really surprised but I thought all hoses and hose ports were the same size so it confused me? Any help is appreciated

9 answers to this question

Oh no all hose ports are different. Especially Chinese hookahs like you have. Generally you will need small hoses like the nuhose, thunder hose, or even maya hoses. When you upgrade to a good hookah you will be able to use virtually any hose. As a rule of thumb I tend to avoid eBay or Amazon since you really have no good basis of comparison.

Try online hookah vendors like texashookah, hookah-shisha, hookahjohn, and 5starhookah. These places sell products that are reputable and guaranteed to be useable. Anyone can put anything on Amazon.

Yeah you can get a cheap, good, washable hose for like $4, like the nuhose mentioned and such. If you're gonna get a bigger hookah then everyone will tell you that a km is basically what you wanna look at in terms of quality, reputation, and price point. If its gonna be awhile before you get a new hookah then I'd say get an Egyptian clay bowl for now. They're like $4-$6 and work 10 times better than the hollow ceramic bowl you get with a Chinese hookah. I'm not sure what you smoke but if you don't want to spend too much money you can't really go wrong with some citrus or Curtis with mint or straight mint flavors from Al Fakher. Some of the cheaper stuff out there, easy to work with and competitive prices, and from what I hear anything in the nakhla mizo line is good and those have slightly better prices as well. If you decide to get a Km (Khalil mamoon) then just be prepared to dish out at least around $100. I know a lot of people in person who want to get into hookah but just don't wanna fork over the extra cash. But anyone with experience will tell you its worth spending $100-$150 on a good quality long lasting and great smoking hookah than like $20-$70 on most of what you'll find out there. I convinced my friend to get himself a km when his Chinese hookah broke down and he was skeptical but he thanks me for it since the quality in smoke is so noticeable. For coals I'd avoid quick lights. Personally I'd rather not smoke at all if I have to use them since they taint your flavor. Anything coconut will do. Cocobuzz, titanium's, coco mazaya, ecocha, whatever. They're all usually priced the same, they last long don't taint your flavor and are priced the same as quick lights if not cheaper. Just be sure to cook them on a stove or hot plate, and don't do what my friend did and only cook them half way. They need to be completely covered in ash or at least red hot all around. Its a lot of info but when it comes to hookah its important to know what you're doing going into it. There's a lot of crappy products out there because most people don't know the difference so people can get away with selling junk. For example my local hookah store only carries Chinese ceramic junk bowls and a good stock of bad hookahs, only a couple good ones. I see it everywhere and its a shame.

I'd also like to note that the size of your hookah doesn't really matter as long as its a good one. There are some decent/good Chinese hookahs out there but if you're just starting out and already own a Chinese hookah than I'd skip the gamble and just get something safer. I should mention if you do get a Km that the hose you get isn't washable so only use it for one type of flavor since flavor likes to stick inside your hose. They're great but you can't wash them, they come with an Egyptian clay bowl as well and you can't go wrong with those. For other brands to look at feel free to check out shika, the hookahjohn inspiration hookahs, magdy zidan is good too if you can find anything. Km is a safe bet since they have a huge selection on any hookah vendor. Also look up videos and guides on how to clean your hookah if you haven't already since Egyptian hookahs like to come in with metal shavings and dust.

When you do go to buy a hookah I would recommend buying an Egyptian hookah in as long as its not a name brand you can usually find them for a really good price and they're usually the best quality that way almost any hoes that you decide to buy will usually fit in it and any ball and there's not really any issues when it comes to that plus they look really nice and their authentic as well so far less reasons when you're looking eventually to buy a nicer hookah I would definitely recommend buying an Egyptian if possible I would say you want to get a km hookah or even an af hookah. Different reason you want to stay with a Chinese hookah Mya hookahs are very nice as well

Thank you for teh advice. I ended ordering a KM mini and it has been just perfect and the perfect size, i also started using native coconut coals and they were better than expected. also i got a egytian clay bowl and voltage from social smoke. 

Thank you for teh advice. I ended ordering a KM mini and it has been just perfect and the perfect size, i also started using native coconut coals and they were better than expected. also i got a egytian clay bowl and voltage from social smoke. 

I love voltage. It's such a crazy unique flavor. You don't need a phunnel in my opinion, many users agree that a egy clay is the best bowl available. I've been through about 6 but I'll always buy a new one when it shits on me.

I find most phunnel bowls are either too deep or too shallow for how I like to smoke, when I first started out I had no trouble getting the hang of things out of an Egyptian, but that one was pretty deep and I didn't know how to use it efficiently so I ended up getting an alien mini phunnel, which was more trouble than it was worth in hindsight, it took a lot of time for me to figure out how to get it working right for me. I got the 80 feet bowl after several months and that was a pretty good bowl, well they both are but I just found myself going back on Egyptian clay bowls, as of now the only phunnel I've been using is the shika oblivion since its really just an Egyptian with a phunnel. I gave my old Egyptian head to a friend and got myself two more, first one was a lemon but this new one is great. I guess the main downside to those bowls is they're inconsistent and let juice drip down making a mess at times. But they just work so well and are a dime a dozen

I think they take and manage heat better as well personally.

When it comes to final bowls I have to say that I've always really enjoyed most of them and I like how they save a lot of the juice, but when I first started to smoke hookah I always use an Egyptian label and I def have a fun place in my heart for them and wildlife you use them I used them depending on the type of tobacco then I'm smoking I noticed that each bowl definitely has its own perks and works best for certain kinds of shisha I think it's all about kind of finding out which one works best for you