Sign in to follow this  
DudeWhere'sMyHookah

Tangiers: Birquq Mimon

Hello all, this is Rob aka DudeWhere'sMyHookah bringing you another Tangiers Birquq review this one on the flavor Mimon.

In case you have been living under a rock with a certain starfish for almost a decade, chances are you have heard the name tangiers come up in your hookah circles. This is a special modern tobacco that uses old world production with new age chemistry to bring forth flavors that were unheard of prior to their debut. This tobacco is known as black style molassal as it features black molasses mixed with high nicotine black leafs. There are several lines of this tobacco which consist of Noir the original, Lucid a discontinued line, F line based with caffeine, Birquq known to be less nicotine, and Burley the highest nicotine blend possible. All of these need special treatment when packing as well as opening them which is known as acclimation.

Today I'm smoking Birquq which I find to be easier to manage than the other lines. I feel as though the flavors are a tad more pronounced, the packing is more forgiving, the heat management is simple, and the acclimation is far more timely. I can enjoy it to it's potential due to the nicotine level being significantly lower as well. That being said if you a smoking birquq anytime soon you should have water, tea, or a snack ready to ease yourself into the nicotine as it is nothing to underestimate.

The flavor I'm smoking is Mimon. This is almost a play on words as it combines the words "mint" and "lemon" together. As the name suggests it is a mint and lemon blend. Upon proper acclimation you should be smelling a candy lemon similar to lemon heads or lemon drops and a natural mint smell. This isn't going to be a menthol or peppermint type of smell but more like a real mint leaf as the earthy tones of the tobacco do come through fairly strong.

The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. You get a nice lemon up front that is quite candy followed by a nice throat and mouth feel of coolness. The tobacco notes do come through into  the smoke so if that's not your thing I suggest a more modern form of washed tobacco lemon mint such as fumari or starbuzz mighty freeze. As the bowl cooks you will get a conflict of what is coming through more, which is nice as it keeps you on your toes. At the start it's definitely a 50/50 but more towards the middle you get lemon. Near the end of your coals you will get a minor lemon taste with more mint. The second round of coals the cooling is the more pronounced note without a doubt.

All in all I'm pleased with this flavor but I am wanting more out of it. I feel that although the conflict of the blend is nice and keeps you guessing I'd like it to be more balanced meaning I'd like the mint to be stronger on the first round of coals. For mixology almost anything will go with it except spice in my opinion. I do like to mix it with pinepas tangiers so keep that in mind if you are making an order for some.

I rate this a 7 out of 10. I do like the tobacco notes but sometimes they can be a tad overwhelming which results in the conflict of what flavor is coming through more.

EQUIPMENT:  Hookah John 80 feet bowl, Khalil Maamoon Kamanja, Fumari Base, 2 rounds 3 cocobuzz flats, and a dream hose with a tonic acrylic tip.

• Like 2

I wonder if the noir version of this may be a little bit better cuz I know I really enjoyed it a lot and I would really like to order some more I haven't had it in a long time

• Like 1

I wonder if the noir version of this may be a little bit better cuz I know I really enjoyed it a lot and I would really like to order some more I haven't had it in a long time

I say go for it. Post your findings here I've only had it in birquq each time but I did have lemon lime noir and that was so tasty.

• Like 1