Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustinBoBustin

Keeping Coals Lit

Question

Had an overall decent session this afternoon with my regular old MYA bowl and a Kaloud Lotus, but had a tough time keeping my 2 Titanium coals fully lit. Never went out, but black spots galore and heat management was difficult. Ended up throwing a 3 Kings on just to get the thing going, and got a touch too hot. Advice?

5 answers to this question

3 titanium's do the trick in the lotus. Do coals go black on the side that's not touching the lotus? If so you either got a bad batch or you're not fully lighting them on the burner. I've never had a problem with titanium's before.

Had an overall decent session this afternoon with my regular old MYA bowl and a Kaloud Lotus, but had a tough time keeping my 2 Titanium coals fully lit. Never went out, but black spots galore and heat management was difficult. Ended up throwing a 3 Kings on just to get the thing going, and got a touch too hot. Advice?

Try lowering you heat on the burner. I've had problems with coals going black because the inside wasn't cooked. I would do it on high and now slightly over medium is the ideal heat for me to cook them. Flip them every half hour or so in the lotus and stoke them by blowing on them

Andchit, I think you're right! Would you say the same across the board for different bowls? I heard two coals for a smaller bowl, but even fully lit it seems like two might not be enough.

Dude, that is a very intriguing idea! I was actually concerned my burner wasn't hot enough - they're definitely not cooked inside. How long do you cook them on medium-ish heat?

Andchit, I think you're right! Would you say the same across the board for different bowls? I heard two coals for a smaller bowl, but even fully lit it seems like two might not be enough.

Dude, that is a very intriguing idea! I was actually concerned my burner wasn't hot enough - they're definitely not cooked inside. How long do you cook them on medium-ish heat?

Basically until they are completely ashed over. Usually when flames develop between the two (I always leave them close together with a flat coal on the side next to them) I will take them off, heavily stoke them when they hit the lotus and get clouds within 3 minutes. I always use 2 cubes and a flat coal. Always. Always. Always. I buy cheap coals like charco flare and leonara to offset the price.

The only flats that generate enough heat for my taste are cocourth then I will use 3 flats and no cubes. But for the same price I can get charco flare and leonara from 5star and get around 45 bowls out of the boxes combined.

I usually leave the coals on the burner on high until they flame all over then I wait for the flames to subside and I take them off the burner. Never failed me yet.