Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mister Thrice

HJ Bowl: Ferris Bowl

Question

Sooo here's another bowl...

Thoughts, anyone?

I got one, and only one:  Why the F is it $40?!?

When did a ceramic bowl with a logo and a gimmick end up costing more than entry level hookahs!?!?!  Why are ALL his other bowls $20-$30 and this one is now $40!?  

I'm pretty pissed off about the price.  I refuse to buy this bowl until I can get it at Harmony prices... especially since I have a Harmony, and the Lotus works just fine for that bowl... and my 80feet... and my alien... and my egyptian bowl...  sigh...

Normally I'm an HJ supporter, but this just ruffled my feathers.  Absolutely absurd.

16 answers to this question

I got that bowl earlier this week. Works great. Yeah the price is steep, but at the same time stonefit charges the same price for the same exact design. I'm sure the price will go down after a while though

Sooo here's another bowl...

Thoughts, anyone?

I got one, and only one:  Why the F is it $40?!?

When did a ceramic bowl with a logo and a gimmick end up costing more than entry level hookahs!?!?!  Why are ALL his other bowls $20-$30 and this one is now $40!?  

I'm pretty pissed off about the price.  I refuse to buy this bowl until I can get it at Harmony prices... especially since I have a Harmony, and the Lotus works just fine for that bowl... and my 80feet... and my alien... and my egyptian bowl...  sigh...

Normally I'm an HJ supporter, but this just ruffled my feathers.  Absolutely absurd.

Answer is simple: because it's HJ and he can get away with it. He acts like he's gods gift to hookah and I truly hate his demeanor. He will never see a penny from me and I will never use his merchandise.

Isn't it a lot harder to get the stonefit bowls though? I mean from what I hear they are as common as phunnel bowls used to be way back, if that's true I don't see anything wrong with him mass producing them, unless he's breaking some kind of copyright laws

Isn't it a lot harder to get the stonefit bowls though? I mean from what I hear they are as common as phunnel bowls used to be way back, if that's true I don't see anything wrong with him mass producing them, unless he's breaking some kind of copyright laws

The design is not patented so he's not doing anything illegal. He's simply taking advantage of the fact that he can supply the demand better than stonefit. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I'll tell ya what's wrong with it!!  It's $40 friggin' dollars man!!  That's unreal!!  I am happy with a classic egyptian bowl, $4.99...  the Kaloud Lotus fits nicely on those (usually).  Plus, when I break them, my wallet doesn't cry as my heart breaks (cue (I just) Died in Your Arms by Cutting Crew)...

Sorry, I am just violently against $40 for a stone-ish bowl.  Give me Egyptians, Shika's, or if you have to go with HJ then Aliens.  Tangier's phunnel bowls are probly still better though, and, NOT $40.

HJ is not doing anything illegal. I did notice he goes around "shopping" for ideas from companies that specifically don't have a patent and blatantly copy their bowls and calls it his own. I hate that guy, I truly do. Two of his newest bowls are a blatant copy of the shika sandstorm and the OG Rook. unfortunately he's a well known brand so whatever he steals people will lick it up because of who he is and he will be able to charge whatever he wants because people are oblivious and think whatever he throws at them is an HJ original.

Ok I got sidetracked and went on a rant. so yeah his bowls are too expensive and no, I won't pay that price but then I won't pay that for the Stone fit or tangiers either. I'm happy with a cheap Egyptian or funnel that does the same job. 

Thank you DD, I don't think I could've said that any better, even if I revised it...

Yeah, I have fallen from my HJ wagon...  I am now going to pick up a few OG bowls, all of which are $30 or less, and all are also available unglazed, which, I am going to be getting into pretty heavy for 2016, as, I am ordering a boatload of all of my favorite shishas this year, instead of trying a hundred new flavors like I did for 2015...

Egyptian Bowl Love!!

13 minutes ago, Mister Thrice said:

Thank you DD, I don't think I could've said that any better, even if I revised it...

Yeah, I have fallen from my HJ wagon...  I am now going to pick up a few OG bowls, all of which are $30 or less, and all are also available unglazed, which, I am going to be getting into pretty heavy for 2016, as, I am ordering a boatload of all of my favorite shishas this year, instead of trying a hundred new flavors like I did for 2015...

Egyptian Bowl Love!!

You should check out the og bowls egy, it's a fantastic product. I recently reviewed it on my channel if you want the full in depth description. It is harmony sized but in a good way, plus it has a raised center that keeps the juices baking instead of just seeping down.

13 minutes ago, Mister Thrice said: Thank you DD, I don't think I could've said that any better, even if I revised it...

Egyptian Bowl Love!!

You should check out the og bowls egy, it's a fantastic product. I recently reviewed it on my channel if you want the full in depth description. It is harmony sized but in a good way, plus it has a raised center that keeps the juices baking instead of just seeping down.

I'd rather just get that personally, I don't even own a lotus lmao

On December 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Mister Thrice said:

Egyptian Bowl Love!!

LOL sometimes I go on rants and they may or may not make sense. 

I always like trying new things so I don't know if I'll just go with what I know and I like or I'll keep playing around and confusing my taste buds. 

On December 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM, DudeWhere'sMyHookah said:

Dammit dude!!!! now I can't stop laughing and picturing you saying "Eggy" when you talk about that bowl. ROTFLMAO

On December 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Mint Head said:

I'd rather just get that personally, I don't even own a lotus lmao

No worries, I don't have a lotus either and I still refuse to bite into the hype, HOWEVER, I do own the minzari gold crown and I just LOVE that bowl. I guess because the design just makes sense to me. heat rises so with the coals on the bottom I get a much longer session with less shisha and precise heat control. Maybe I shouldn't knock the lotus until I try it I guess. 

That's fair, I'm sure the lotus is good, eventually I'll probably get one but I've just been really cheap about it. I don't really want to buy anymore Hj bowls, I broke my harmony the day after I got it, the alien I have is good and made pretty thick, 80ft is good too but on the thin side, I'd rather branch out for something new and more affordable when looking into a new bowl, also the oblivion has been put out of commission since it decided to start chipping on my from the inside, as if the charring of it ruined the bowl, its weird. When I tried to scrap the gunk off the bowl itself started to chip, too paranoid to mess with it lmao.

6 minutes ago, Mint Head said:

That's fair, I'm sure the lotus is good, eventually I'll probably get one but I've just been really cheap about it. I don't really want to buy anymore Hj bowls, I broke my harmony the day after I got it, the alien I have is good and made pretty thick, 80ft is good too but on the thin side, I'd rather branch out for something new and more affordable when looking into a new bowl, also the oblivion has been put out of commission since it decided to start chipping on my from the inside, as if the charring of it ruined the bowl, its weird. When I tried to scrap the gunk off the bowl itself started to chip, too paranoid to mess with it lmao.

oh man really? The oblivion was one of the bowls that I had in mind to purchase along with the sandstorm. I really like those two not only because of the shape but also because they are clay bowls. Well, the sandstorm is sand and clay which I find very interesting. I might just order it anyway just to say that I tried them. 

6 minutes ago, Mint Head said: That's fair, I'm sure the lotus is good, eventually I'll probably get one but I've just been really cheap about it. I don't really want to buy anymore Hj bowls, I broke my harmony the day after I got it, the alien I have is good and made pretty thick, 80ft is good too but on the thin side, I'd rather branch out for something new and more affordable when looking into a new bowl, also the oblivion has been put out of commission since it decided to start chipping on my from the inside, as if the charring of it ruined the bowl, its weird. When I tried to scrap the gunk off the bowl itself started to chip, too paranoid to mess with it lmao.

oh man really? The oblivion was one of the bowls that I had in mind to purchase along with the sandstorm. I really like those two not only because of the shape but also because they are clay bowls. Well, the sandstorm is sand and clay which I find very interesting. I might just order it anyway just to say that I tried them. 

It could of been my own fault, it was only until recently I stopped putting my bowls through thermal shock from being piping hot and washing them straight under cold water, not one of the issues I find people ever really mention, or it could of just been a bad bowl, I mean my standard Egyptian is holding up just fine. I've thought about getting the sandstorm for double apple myself, my only gripe with the oblivion outside of that would be that since its so wide, depending on how you like to do things you may need 4 coals to get it going, I always used 4 titanium's and found that you could manage to get away with three if you use a windcover though.

6 minutes ago, Mint Head said: That's fair, I'm sure the lotus is good, eventually I'll probably get one but I've just been really cheap about it. I don't really want to buy anymore Hj bowls, I broke my harmony the day after I got it, the alien I have is good and made pretty thick, 80ft is good too but on the thin side, I'd rather branch out for something new and more affordable when looking into a new bowl, also the oblivion has been put out of commission since it decided to start chipping on my from the inside, as if the charring of it ruined the bowl, its weird. When I tried to scrap the gunk off the bowl itself started to chip, too paranoid to mess with it lmao.

It could of been my own fault, it was only until recently I stopped putting my bowls through thermal shock from being piping hot and washing them straight under cold water, not one of the issues I find people ever really mention, or it could of just been a bad bowl, I mean my standard Egyptian is holding up just fine. I've thought about getting the sandstorm for double apple myself, my only gripe with the oblivion outside of that would be that since its so wide, depending on how you like to do things you may need 4 coals to get it going, I always used 4 titanium's and found that you could manage to get away with three if you use a windcover though.

Oh yeah that will do it. So I guess they are good bowls if I don't shock them with extreme heat/cold. :)