Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Head

What's your favorite packing methods?

Question

My styles are pretty standard but I have tried a lot of different ways, for nakhla I'm always trying to find the perfect way but since that brand is really versatile it can be pretty interesting mixing up the method. I only really smoke nakhla out of a standard Egyptian or the shika bowl, just because its so wide and I find nakhla favors that, I've never tried the traditional packing methods for it though I'm scared, the furthest I went was the reverse hole pack in an alien with double apple and it didn't work well for me, dense pack in shika or dense donut pack in egy for me, how high I pack it doesn't seem to matter. Lately for modern brands like AF I find it most convenient to just do a semi dense with the lotus and call it a day, or semi dense donut in the egy, but I tend to pack starbuzz and those brands lighter. I've gotten away with just packing Tangier's only to the spire in an alien pretty tight and just throwing a lotus on, or poking holes in the tobacco before hand but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. With foil I'm still trying to find the right way but whether I use a tooth pick or fumari poker or whatever doesn't seem to make a huge difference, seems to smoke fine as long as its packed well. But I don't know if poking holes all the way through isnt the best way to do it so I'm gonna try just poking through the foil next time I feel like doing it

4 answers to this question

For me it depends on my mood but most of the time I poke the holes all the way through till I touch the bowl, but I only do that with nakhla or al fakher. With anything super wet I just poke the holes on the foil.

Does using a lotus work for you and tangiers? I think it was @dudewheresmyhookah that mentioned tangiers and lotus don't play nice. With tangiers being so finicky I would hate to experiment when I get it.

For me it depends on my mood but most of the time I poke the holes all the way through till I touch the bowl, but I only do that with nakhla or al fakher. With anything super wet I just poke the holes on the foil.

Does using a lotus work for you and tangiers? I think it was @dudewheresmyhookah that mentioned tangiers and lotus don't play nice. With tangiers being so finicky I would hate to experiment when I get it.

I mean tangiers and the lotus works but I get farrrrrr better clouds, taste, and longevity with foil. If I have cane mint I do the lotus but every single other flavor is my tangiers small or 80ft bowl and foil.

It seems to work fine for me at least if I use the alien, some flavors I feel are too sensitive to get away with it though, like prince of grey hasn't faired well with the lotus to my experience but cane mint, mimon, peach iced tea, and k peach all did fine, however I'm liking the Tangier's small more and more lately, and I think I get a good two rounds out of it

I usually go for a medium dense pack, although I exclusively use a phunnel even for drier tobaccos like Nakhla. If the pack is really dense then I push through until touching the bowl like DD said. Wetter tobaccos can go for a not so dense pack. It also depends on my mood as well, sometimes when I feel like smoking like a chimney I just grab my large phunnel and pack it as densely as possible.

To be honest packing the bowl has become such a second nature to me that I can do it without looking(albeit with a mess :p).