Mint Head

Really good Nakhla DA method I've found

Question

So I've mentioned in the smoking now thread how I've been trying double apple with the Egyptian and lotus with an over pack and clear center hole, every single time I've tried this its been what I'd say is a success, its a lot like the traditional heavy over pack with foil where you sear it, but I find this to work out a lot better overall, better flavor, less robust in feeling but still intense with the flavor, and better with heat resistance. In the traditional way I find that the second round is almost not worth doing because it gets too hot to my experience, BTW, I've been using the same principles applied to the fletcher haze overpack with the alien and lotus. This time around I've added more tobacco, I did a pretty heavy fluff over pack, cleared the center hole, moved the tobacco around to get it a little more together and in the bowl, added some more, cleared the hole again and pressed the lotus down on it the tobacco was almost overfilled for the lotus and I ended up with a bit more of a restricted draw, but I have to say, its worked out even better than before. The flavor was so strong that first round, heat management was a joke, I use 3 titaniums and drop a coal once the smoke got going and just added it when I wanted more heat, I'm currently on the second round of coals and its nearing the end of the session, the second round is also holding up slightly better. The smoke volume has been crazy for nakhla the entire time (for ms) and it was very easy to keep it feeling and tasting smooth without getting harsh, I can't say it didn't get harsh at times, or that the second round of coal is perfect, but this is probably the best experience I've had with double apple, I strongly encourage anyone who likes nakhla double apple that has an Egyptian clay bowl and a lotus to give this method a try, its nearly impossible to screw up and I haven't had a bad session with it yet, its extremely consistent. And for me, getting bad sessions is more common than I'd like so I'm really happy with these results, I figured I'd make a whole post about it since it was going to be long winded. To recap, intense flavor and generally smooth smoke provided you manage your heat well, which is already on the easier side of things considering its a lotus set up. Same idea as the Fletcher alien/haze/lotus overpack. I wouldn't be surprised if its nothing new but I haven't heard of anyone try this so I figured id put it out there, give it a try its great.

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

3 hours ago, Mint Head said:

So I've mentioned in the smoking now thread how I've been trying double apple with the Egyptian and lotus with an over pack and clear center hole, every single time I've tried this its been what I'd say is a success, its a lot like the traditional heavy over pack with foil where you sear it, but I find this to work out a lot better overall, better flavor, less robust in feeling but still intense with the flavor, and better with heat resistance. In the traditional way I find that the second round is almost not worth doing because it gets too hot to my experience, BTW, I've been using the same principles applied to the fletcher haze overpack with the alien and lotus. This time around I've added more tobacco, I did a pretty heavy fluff over pack, cleared the center hole, moved the tobacco around to get it a little more together and in the bowl, added some more, cleared the hole again and pressed the lotus down on it the tobacco was almost overfilled for the lotus and I ended up with a bit more of a restricted draw, but I have to say, its worked out even better than before. The flavor was so strong that first round, heat management was a joke, I use 3 titaniums and drop a coal once the smoke got going and just added it when I wanted more heat, I'm currently on the second round of coals and its nearing the end of the session, the second round is also holding up slightly better. The smoke volume has been crazy for nakhla the entire time (for ms) and it was very easy to keep it feeling and tasting smooth without getting harsh, I can't say it didn't get harsh at times, or that the second round of coal is perfect, but this is probably the best experience I've had with double apple, I strongly encourage anyone who likes nakhla double apple that has an Egyptian clay bowl and a lotus to give this method a try, its nearly impossible to screw up and I haven't had a bad session with it yet, its extremely consistent. And for me, getting bad sessions is more common than I'd like so I'm really happy with these results, I figured I'd make a whole post about it since it was going to be long winded. To recap, intense flavor and generally smooth smoke provided you manage your heat well, which is already on the easier side of things considering its a lotus set up. Same idea as the Fletcher alien/haze/lotus overpack. I wouldn't be surprised if its nothing new but I haven't heard of anyone try this so I figured id put it out there, give it a try its great.

I haven't had nakhla in a good while but I definitely have to try it your way. I usually make the hole in the middle whenever I use my egyptian bowls and it works great, I just don't remember if I've done that with the lotus. Usually is foil.

• Like 2