porisdeniro

New hookah not smoking/working well

Question

Hi guys! This is my new hookah I bought few days ago.Smoked it,tried it and SHIT! Im not beginner cuz I worked in hookah bar in Europe for a whole year and then came in Canada blahblah..Worked with Amy Deluxe hookahs,but this one is smaller,and they were amazing.I used that amy deluxe bowl,3 coco nara flat coals,hot screen/foil and some new flavours (subzero,white gummy bear,safari melon,guminati).Well,theres not enough smoke ,not even close as I would usually get smoking some km's and other egyption hookahs back home.(first I thought cuz this one is small,but then I remembered that I had one small beast in hookah bar and it smoked WOW).Then I thought okay maybe theres not enough smoke cuz these coals are flat,cuz I always smoked with cube ones.Then I though maybe its up to amy bowl.Water level is as usually 1-1.5 inches .. When I take a puff I can hear ball moving and making sounds which i never heared before.And when I blow in to get rid of bad smoke inside the vase its not getting out everything.My bowls are packed a lil bit over half good enough not to burn quickly.3 coals on the edge so it doesn't burn and other stuff but still not getting more thick smoke.GUYS THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY PLEASE HELP ME SOMEHOW ??????? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Hookah.org

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

There is no picture provided.

If your hookah can be disabled and isn't one piece make sure everything is screwed in tightly. Also remove the hose port and see if there is a ball blocking the connection. This is called auto seal which sounds like what could be happening if you have a hookah that can be taken apart.

With auto seal you can not purge the smoke from the vase and pulling from the hose will be quite restricted which sounds like what you're going through.

Please attach some photos and I will gladly be able to help you more in depth!

• Like 1

d3b07050f6ad7295e5362ee50d135667_thumb.jpg this is the hookah and if u need more pictures let me know please .I really need help cuz this is first time happening to me.Thanks

That looks like a modern hookah that will unscrew. So make sure everything is tightly assembled and check the hose port and see if there is the ball inside if there is get the rid of it! Hahahaha

Also that bowl with the wind screen needs more heat than three coconaras. Coconara is considered to be one of the worst and inconsistent brands on the market. I would try at least 3 cubes with that one based on the tobacco you are using.

If it still persists I'll need some more pictures hoping this will do the trick!

• Like 1

I took that one ball from the hose port cuz if I blow in nothing would work and smoke would not get outside.Even tho when I blew in the vase first time I felt air going out so I sealed it around with silicone so now air is not going out.But when I blew in a stem I felt a liiiiil bit air coming out where I screwed it(but Its screwed tight,cant do more and I dont get it how air can come out when its screwed tightly).

...still dont know why a ball is moving when I take a puff cuz then air will come in and out when ball moves?

Back home when I worked with cube coals they would get that metal screen really hot and bowl would be heated really good,but these coals and getting really small after 5 mins and bowl and metal are not even close to hot.

Everyone likes fumaris white gummy bear ,haze subzero...but after I smoked them on this hookah I would feel not a burned flavour but reaaaaally kinda dry,instead of juicey flavour so I felt so bad and I felt that taste like whole day and I was about to throw up haha

I see a lots of people packing bowl with a fork and packing it really full,which I dont .I do sprinkle tobacco and never pack it up to the top .

One more time I dont know what to do anymore cuz when I blow in not all of the smoke is coming out and im getting more pissed.

Im just sureeeee that even tho this hookah is small I should get more smoke and really thicker cuz this what I see now is POOR and im about to CRY hahahaha

help maaaaaaan u r my last hope before getting more pissed and throwing that garbage outside(SPENT ALMOST $200 CAD on it)

• Like 1

I took that one ball from the hose port cuz if I blow in nothing would work and smoke would not get outside.Even tho when I blew in the vase first time I felt air going out so I sealed it around with silicone so now air is not going out.But when I blew in a stem I felt a liiiiil bit air coming out where I screwed it(but Its screwed tight,cant do more and I dont get it how air can come out when its screwed tightly).

...still dont know why a ball is moving when I take a puff cuz then air will come in and out when ball moves?

Back home when I worked with cube coals they would get that metal screen really hot and bowl would be heated really good,but these coals and getting really small after 5 mins and bowl and metal are not even close to hot.

Everyone likes fumaris white gummy bear ,haze subzero...but after I smoked them on this hookah I would feel not a burned flavour but reaaaaally kinda dry,instead of juicey flavour so I felt so bad and I felt that taste like whole day and I was about to throw up haha

I see a lots of people packing bowl with a fork and packing it really full,which I dont .I do sprinkle tobacco and never pack it up to the top .

One more time I dont know what to do anymore cuz when I blow in not all of the smoke is coming out and im getting more pissed.

Im just sureeeee that even tho this hookah is small I should get more smoke and really thicker cuz this what I see now is POOR and im about to CRY hahahaha

help maaaaaaan u r my last hope before getting more pissed and throwing that garbage outside(SPENT ALMOST $200 CAD on it)

Some hookahs are designed in such a way that the smoke will never be fully purged. That's the least of your worries I can tell you that much.

Really it sounds like the purge needs a larger ball to block it. This would explain the airy hit, lack of smoke, and poor air circulation. Look to replace that and if necessary you can make a whole new purge at home that will seal it.

Why are you using flat coals that are known to be bad if you had great results with cubes? Flats only put out consistent heat for maybe 40 minutes especially coconara where you would need at least 4 and a overpacked bowl to get any sort of thick clouds.

So this time try:

1.replacing your purge ball

2. Not using flat charcoal but cubes

3. Packing your bowl higher

• Like 1

ccc8bcd9ec4aabd8782fdc581a98e68f_thumb.jpg

When I blew through a stem I saw small bubbles wheres that gromet part screwed over tray...and then I moved smaller gromet that was under tray and I put it after I put tray and now when I suck in (after I put only water in the vase) theres no any kind of leak.

So what about getting a new bowl something like alien phunnel or something similar??

It should work now if I try with 4 flat coals on metal screen or 3 coals and foil( + overpacked bowl) ?? I still can hear BB kinda moving when I suck in but suction is really good when I put my hand wt the top of a stem where bowl goes..

So no leaks,suction is really good so the only thing It could be is not enough coals or not fully packed bowl ?

• Like 1

ccc8bcd9ec4aabd8782fdc581a98e68f_thumb.jpg

When I blew through a stem I saw small bubbles wheres that gromet part screwed over tray...and then I moved smaller gromet that was under tray and I put it after I put tray and now when I suck in (after I put only water in the vase) theres no any kind of leak.

So what about getting a new bowl something like alien phunnel or something similar??

It should work now if I try with 4 flat coals on metal screen or 3 coals and foil( + overpacked bowl) ?? I still can hear BB kinda moving when I suck in but suction is really good when I put my hand wt the top of a stem where bowl goes..

So no leaks,suction is really good so the only thing It could be is not enough coals or not fully packed bowl ?

Okay one step closer to getting is working!

If you want to upgrade your bowl it can't hurt but the one you have now should be fine. But yeah packing a bit higher and more heat since coconara suck should solve the clouds being thin.

• Like 1

I'm at a loss here and can't really think of a solution.

You mentioned 1-1.5 inches of water. Is that from the bottom of the base or from the bottom of the stem?

• Like 1

56681be6a912a01d0a093cbc6de0eb65.jpg

this is what I meant :)

I didnt really try other ways to pack a bowl except sprinkling tobacco trying to make better airflow cuz I only worked with Al Fakher and I dont have any experience with Fumari and Haze(that I bought recently to try,cuz I havent had chance to try it in Europe until now) .. so maybe my packing is not that good cuz I never put tobacco really full all the way up to the rim.I saw lots of people overpacking and It probably worked (with a phunnel bowl) but every time I packed a bit over tobacco would start burning no matter where I move my coals ..

• Like 1

I would say try a different bowl but al faker works great with any bowl specially with the Egyptian bowls.

I can really relate to this because of all the trouble I had starting out and would persist for the longest. You said bubbles were coming out of the stem when you purged? That probably means you're using too much water for that hookah to handle, unfortunately modern hookahs can be designed in strange ways and can be difficult to work with if you're used to something as tried and true as a KM, I generally don't recommend getting modern hookahs unless you really know what you're doing and what you're getting, but yeah try a lower water level, less water=less restriction. Try keeping it in the half an inch to an inch level, with bowl packing.. I have to say I especially relate to this, most of my experience up till not too long ago was only with AF, and to this day I run into problems with the really juicy stuff like haze or starbuzz and fumari, I can say you never want to pack your bowl only halfway, that's a really bad idea and in my opinion is just lounges being cheap, it doesn't really lead to a good experience. I don't know what kind of bowl that is, so I don't want to tell you how to pack it, all I can recommend is get a large or medium sized Egyptian clay bowl, they're really cheap, $7 generally, they work way better than standard bowls that come with modern hookahs and do half the work for you, and in my opinion are just as good if not better than the average phunnel bowl, if you buy one of those then I can say sprinkle pack with everything just up to the rim or right below, besides haze, sprinkle it just over the rim and gently glide it to the rim of the bowl, also I'm biased but I hate metal screens, try using some aluminum foil, if you get regular aluminum foil (like I do) use two layers of it, wrap it around the bowl tightly like a drum and make sure its sealed on there good, and just make enough holes, btw, if you do get an Egyptian clay bowl, when you put your tobacco in use your hole poker to make the center hole completely clear, it just makes your life so much easier. Hopefully that will help you out, like DD here said al fakher works extremely well in an Egyptian clay bowl, and IMO it works the best with it

• Like 2

Hey all ... i can see your problem up there on the top ...

Just like minthead said, ditch that metal screen ... and use double layered foil ...

nd yeah, get a large egyptian bowl just for testing (easily available around 5 - 6$) ...

Sent from my  DrSatwinder's iPhone using Hookah.org mobile app

I can say that, coz i have the same metal screen too and its been sitting in my drawer for over an year except with fruit bowls ...
This thing is great with fruit bowls ... but with any other, get kaloud (even can buy knockoff kaloud from aliexpress, about 7$) ... or use foil and then try your hookah ...
It should probably work ...

Sent from my  DrSatwinder's iPhone using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 2