Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Skitlz

HookahCompany.com scoop

Question

Guest Skitlz

So I just got my hookah from HookahCompany.com. With much excitement, I opened the box. I pulled off the packing popcorn, totally excited.

And then I unpacked the vase... and the paint job looked like a nine-year old with bad vision painted it.

Disappointed, I continued unpacking the box, and found the clay bowl. I realized that the glaze covered only about half of the bowl, leaving most of the inside of the bowl bare.

To test the seal, I put together the hookah, covered the top with my finger and inhaled. Turns out that my finger didn't seal it well enough since the gasket is ragged, so air went through--picking up salty dust particles with it and straight into my lungs. When I used the palm of my hand, the seal worked, so at least that's okay.

I've yet to smoke it, because my very artsy girlfriend is attempting to make it look decent. She says I should line the bowl with foil so I can actually clean it.

Using my girlfriend's sister's hookah, we smoked some of my delicious smelling pomegranate ma'sal. And now we all feel much more lightheaded than usual. I don't know if something's wrong with the ma'sal or if the hookah is too small and letting the carbonmonoxide build up, but it didn't happen with any other ma'sal we have used. To give it credit, it did taste good.

So overall I'm quite disappointed... though as they say, you get what you pay for. I got a 30 dollar 21" hookah, while my girlfriend's sister paid 35 dollars for a very short one. And I got the cheapest ma'sal off the site. So I don't know if it's because it was the cheapest, or if all of HookahCompany's products are this shoddy.

8 answers to this question

Guest Skitlz

Aww crap! I posted this in the wrong forum. : ( I'm really goofing this up.

eh, you do get what you paid for... but thanks for sharing your review with us

Actually, I've heard unglazed bowls transfer heat a lot better than glazed bowls. They just seem like they'd be hard to really clean out, so I wouldn't smoke multiple flavors from them. Whatever you do DO NOT LINE THE BOTTOM WITH FOIL. You will create for yourself a mini oven in which the charcoal will actually begin to cook itself into a crisp -- at which point you can say goodbye to the flavor (and your lungs) within about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, even hookahs of the best quality seem to come in terrible paint jobs. You use the same description I do. I have had hookahs where it seems like the craftsman put all of his heart and soul creating this masterpiece of a hookah with an alluring shape, quality function, and just a work of art in general... then he let his 3 year old loose with some glitter glue.

Why the companies do this, I do not know. It seems that if you're going to put that much effort into it, you should finalize it with something beautiful. The icing on the cake. But, no.

Oh, and, by the way, I bought some unglazed bowls when I was overseas, but I haven't got a chance to use them. When I do, I'll post a review (in the reviews section). But I suggest you try your bowl out. Just don't switch flavors. Use a flavor you really like and stick to it, because I feel like those bowls are easily stained.

What Layla said makes perfect sense in my opinion. When you smoke out of a regular tobacco pipe (Made from briar wood or meesham stone) most people tend to say with one type of tobacco in them. One of the reasons is that the stone and wood is porous to a certain degree. Because of this, it trap the scent, and therefore, the flavor of whatever you smoke in it. Clay is a fairly porous substance, so it only makes sense that it would hold onto whetever flavor you put in it.

Guest ChronicHookah
Whatever you do DO NOT LINE THE BOTTOM WITH FOIL. You will create for yourself a mini oven in which the charcoal will actually begin to cook itself into a crisp -- at which point you can say goodbye to the flavor (and your lungs) within about 5 minutes.

I came across a shisha brand, I belive it was called puffpuff, that actually came "prepackaged" for a bowl, meaing you take it out of the box and drop a ball of shisha completey wrapped in foil right into your bowl. You need to poke holes all the way through to make it work. I tried it, it was ok, but noting special, I wish I had read this post before I tried t so I would have paid attention to how the foil affects the flavor and longevity of the shisha.

Speaking of unglazed bowls, I have a couple for persoanl use that are brand new, only, the are "male" meaning most of today's hookahs won't work with it. It's completely unglazed in and out and I wish I could use it.

Guest mehrdad
or if all of HookahCompany's products are this shoddy.

Not us though.

I was just wondering, we do have online shopping here, don't we?

Why don't you try our shop next time?

Not us though.

I was just wondering, we do have online shopping here, don't we?

Why don't you try our shop next time?

:):):D I agree!