Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kingofkingsxxl

Hookah In The 'News'

Question

Guest kingofkingsxxl

"Want to put away the cigarettes and talk with some interesting people? Go to a hookah bar, says Aaron Alu as he takes a leisurely puff from a glass water pipe at the Mirage Coffeehouse and Hookah Lounge in Long Beach, Calif.

Apple-scented smoke drifts in the air as the police officer looks around genially. "I get to talk to people here that I otherwise wouldn't ever get to know." One patron looks up from her laptop and nods in agreement. "I'm sure it's not great for you," Alu adds, "but it got me to quit smoking cigarettes." "

View Full Article Here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/5324617.html

1 answer to this question

Thanks for the article...

Its another article writing about hookah dangers

A WHO advisory issued in 2005 reports that during one 40- to 45-minute hookah session, a smoker could, in theory, inhale the equivalent of 100 cigarettes. A study in the July issue of Pediatrics found that carbon monoxide concentrations in the blood of hookah smokers was quadruple that of cigarette smokers. And in a 2004 review of hookah studies, lead author Thomas Eissenberg at Virginia Commonwealth University reported that hookah smoke generated by a machine appears to contain substantial amounts of nicotine, arsenic, cobalt, chromium and lead.

I'm not saying they are lying, but it would be good to see some proof just once.

While not disputing the dangers of hookah smoke, Chaouachi notes that many statistics cited about hookah smoke are based on studies conducted using machine-produced smoke, which isn't consistent with the way hookahs are actually smoked. In addition, the studies vary in the types of tobacco tested, the temperature at which it's burned and the type of charcoal used to keep the tobacco lit, all of which can affect results greatly. Consequently, there's a discrepancy in findings.

Burns, a contributor to the WHO advisory panel, is equally worried about the inconsistencies and overall lack of data on the effects of long-term hookah smoking. "We know very little about the outcome of that behavior, whether people develop substantial levels of disease from use," he says. "We're quite concerned at this point in the social history" of the hookah.