Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Tweakin

Everything to know about Coals

Question

Guest Tweakin

Noticed there wasn't one of these so I figured I might as well try my luck

Coals: There are many, many different types of coals out there, but there are main types

1. Quick light(discs)

Pros

*These are great for situations where you don't have a constant source of heat to light them up, all you need is a lighter

*They do not produce an extreme amount of ash

*They do not go out on their own

Cons:

*They really don't last as long as others

*Don't smoke untill they stop smoking because they're layer in black powder and you will inhale the smoke, and it is by far the worst experience in the world(speaking from experience)

*Because they're wrapped in black powder they will explode from time to time

*All quick lights will have a slight after taste

2. Quick Lights (sliver blocks or Japanese style)

Pros:

*By far the best types of quick lights, normally come in 2 brands. Diamante(red Box) or the Japanese style char coal(black box). The black box one's are much more uniform in shape and are easier to break apart

*They do not produce an extreme amount of ash

*Do not go out on their own

Cons:

*If they're not fully lit they will leave a bad taste in your mouth, though no as extreme or hazardous as the discs

*They do take longer to heat than the discs so a stove or tourch is nessesary but not needed, you can use a light if you are patient enough(just light the corner and give it 5-10 min)

*Some people get a headache from them(I personally don't but a I have a friend who does)

All quick lights will have a slight after taste

3. Wood (2 types here)

Type 1: Compressed wood coals

*There are many different brand out there but to my experience Diamante makes the best

Pros

*No bad taste even if half lit

*Wood charcoal does not alter the taste of the tobacco what so ever

*No exploding coals

*Will not go out on its own

Cons

*Take forever and a day to light unless you have a stove or torch

*They ash like no other

Type 2: Real wood

*There are many different brand here as well

Pros

*They do not alter the taste what so ever

*No exploding coals

Cons

*Take the longest to light out of everything(you will need a stove or bbq, if you are using a torch, MAPP gas is HIGHLY recommended)

*They will go out if half lit, or even mostly lit, or hell even if fully lit if you get a bad batch

That pretty much sums up the coals that are out there, I personally have used them all, I started with the discs, then made the switch to the silver quick lights, then to wood(both types) then back to the silver quick lights

Guest vincent09

Well,

1. Quick Light's produce just as much ash as naturals.

2.Quick lights are not "layered" in black powder, the whole thing is black "powder," it's called CHARCOAL. ;)

3.You should never use a half-lit coal whether it be quick light or natural.

4.No hookah charcoal will alter the taste of your shisha unless used improperly, (i.e. %90 of hookah bars use quick light disc's, but the hookah tastes fine.)

That's my $.02 for the day.

Happy Smoking

-vince

Guest Tweakin

just something from my experience

out here Only 1 uses quick lights

wow

Thanks to both of you. I will create a page out of this so more people can learn from it.

Cheers

Guest roka_zulu

clearly, vince is the resident smart-ass.

but good tips nonetheless on both parts :)

Guest vincent09
clearly, vince is the resident smart-ass.

but good tips nonetheless on both parts :)

"Smart" is the key word there.

Guest roka_zulu
i think hes going to have some compition then

not if you keep spelling competition like that :P

Guest vincent09
not if you keep spelling competition like that :P

Haha...true story there.

Guest kupp

what about the coco nara coles that are coconut what do yall think of those

Guest kalutika

Coconara are great but expensive. Chronic hookah coals are just about the same but are cheaper and can be bought in a QL form.

Guest kupp

they sell them at alot of the shops out here in cali where im at im sure they can be found online somewhere i like them and use them alot.

A few things I want to add quickly about the real wood coals.

I've used these things before, and if you can get them to work, they're amazing.

That said, its incredibly difficult to get them to work. You're right about the light time. We were lighting them on an electric heat coil, and it still took quite a while.

Another issue is the irregular shape. I like the disc coals because the shape is regular and I know how the coal is going to light, glow and ultimately hit. The naturals? No such luck. Each piece of coal I broke off of the main piece was irregular and I had literally no idea as to how it would work.

Finally, the charcoal leaves a fine white ash that, if even looked at the wrong way, takes to the air.

But if I could get natural wood to work regularly, It'd be quite wonderful.

I smoked a quick light the other day after going through about 2 boxes of coconaras. It was HORRIBLE. Seriously, I'm scarred for life.

That's how good coco's are. And, I'm sure, the other coconut based coals are just as well.

They seem to ash less, but the scientist in me says this is unlikely ;)

They burn longer. Period.

They have NO flavor. The best part.

Guest roka_zulu

I hate coconut.

But I'm willing to test these out and see what's up.

Guest Genie

I'm no coal expert. I've only used two so far. Shishaco and Coco Nara.

I prefer the Shishaco. It seems to burn longer and it doesn't seem to take as long to light.

I've been sticking to the coconut coals simply because I feel like it might be, however microscopically, better for the environment since it doesn't require any trees to be cut to make it.

Unfortunately, most places don't seem to carry the Shishaco, frustrating.

They produce plenty of ash as far as I can tell. A hookah session for me always ends with plenty of ash in my tray and on my hookah table. Advertising for both of these two coals promised less ash than other coals. I shudder to think how much ash wood coals produce if this is the case!

Guest Genie
The naturals? No such luck. Each piece of coal I broke off of the main piece was irregular and I had literally no idea as to how it would work.

The naturals I'm using (Shishaco and Coco Nara) come in neat little squares, no breaking off of pieces. I didn't want to have to mess with breaking up logs of coal and getting irregular pieces.

Guest Galapogos

I have no idea what coal i used. I purchased mine from turkey. I imagane they are quick lights. Sometimes the will start sparking like fireworks if i leave them heat for too long. But seem to be fine if i just slowly heat them with a lighter.

So i heat them up unitl they are grey. Then put them on. how long should i leave them on until i start to smoke? And how long should they last?

Guest Genie

Another note on naturals. They are chemical free, unlike quick lites. I don't like to think I'm smoking something that has had chemicals added to it to help it light faster.

I finally got a box of AF natural coconut coals and I don't like them. They're irregular in shape and they burn too fast. I had hoped better from AF.

I've got some Chronic Hookah naturals coming in soon, looking forward to comparing them with my beloved Shishaco coals.

As to cutting coals in half, I've never found that very useful. They burn too fast and I don't find they improve how my bowl burns. In the beginning, I always halved them thinking to get more even heating around the bowl. I'd take them, lay them on a good cutting surface, and use a large blade (like you'd use to cut up a head of lettuce) set the point on the cutting surface with the coal tucked under the blade, then, with leverage and caution, slice down through a cold coal. Trying to split a hot coal is danger in the making.

Guest Sparkywoof

I have a question about coals and figured this would be as good a place as any since its an "everything about coals" topic :P

I was wondering one night while watching my coals glow in the dark. is there more heat coming off of them if you leave the ash collected on it or if you knock it off?

I'm using the quick light discs. the things really do burn through quickly...

Can someone please tell me the best way to position/move a circular quick light charcoal for optimal heat management?

thanks in advance

Natural wood coals like exotica/fantasia for example produce more carbon monoxide than most other coals which can sometimes lead to headaches and light headedness. I stick with coconut coals. AND QLs definitely taint the taste of the shisha...

wtf natural coals are by far the best (coconaras even better) and do not ever light a quick light on ur bowl as it will affect the taste of the tobacco since it leaves toxic residues when its lighting