Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoGeTa

Coal Question

Question

I basically need a how to. I've only smoked hookah twice, but I love it. However, I have a heck of time wih the coals. I'm just not sure what to do with them to be honest. The first time I smoked my hookah, I used quicklighting coals that the people gave me when I bought it. I immediately decided I hated the flavor it imparted on the tobacco. So I took an hour drive to the nearest hookah bar (which I didn't even know exsisted!) and bought olive wood coals. I'll just break my questions down:

1) Best way to light the coals. Butane torch isn't cutting it.

2) How many do you light at one time? Won't they burn out and waste if you do more than you need?

3) How many coals do you actually need anyway? I was using about 1 inch sections of the olive wood coal.

4) Is there any reason for me to order japanese coals or lemon wood coals now that I have the olive wood coals? In other words, would I notice a difference? I'm thinking no.

Like I said, a how too lol. Thanks for any help!

11 answers to this question

1) Best way to light the coals. Butane torch isn't cutting it.

Light it with a lighter, hold it with the hookah tong and move it up and down in the air to help it light faster and better (until it becomes red)

2) How many do you light at one time? Won't they burn out and waste if you do more than you need?

I usually only burn one, but it depends on how fast you want your hookah to burn, and how much smoke you want,

3) How many coals do you actually need anyway? I was using about 1 inch sections of the olive wood coal.

I usually end up using 3 coals for my hookah

4) Is there any reason for me to order japanese coals or lemon wood coals now that I have the olive wood coals? In other words, would I notice a difference? I'm thinking no.

Honestly I dont even know what it is

Thanks for the reply. That clears things up a bit. What kind of lighter do you use? Regular flame or butane?

Also, I noticed that I was having to play with the coals alot to keep them hot enough to make sufficient amounts of smoke. Is this normal?

Guest jwjoe

Never heard of them but they sound like natural coals. I use a small propane backpacking stove to light my natural coals.

Guest jayson

The lemon wood coals are supposedly the "best". Unfortunately I can't verify this since I haven't smoked two hookahs side-by-side, one with lemon wood coals and one with other natural lights or quick lights.

Needless to say, the quick lights definitely do add a strange taste if you don't allow the quick-light agent to burn off before putting it on the bowl.

Some sites sell propane stoves to heat the coals, but I find a $9 hot plate from Wal-Mart works the best (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5871070 this is actually an $18 one, but every wal-mart DOES have a $9 hot plate when you go there in person... it's not on their site strangely enough). If you don't want to put the coals directly on the plate, you can use a host of different metallic containment devices, or use tin foil. Definitely worth the $9, and the coals are far better tasting, and I think far better for you without the introduction of flammable chemicals.

Guest jonnE

i had trouble at first lighting the coals: the way they usually do it at hookah bars is via butane torch....i've found that if you don't have that, then putting them on the stove burner on medium heats the coals up within 2 minutes.

Guest fineout

get a small camping stove with the screw in propane, or you can use an electric stove

Guest GreenTeaPirate

I use a small butane torch to light my lemonwood coals, it just takes awhile to get them fully lit. Using an electric stove sounds pretty good too, I'll have to try that one. I'm not sure if it's the butane or the coal but I actually dislike the taste of the lemonwood more than the quick lights. I suppose it's just the butane.

Guest vincent09
I use a small butane torch to light my lemonwood coals, it just takes awhile to get them fully lit. Using an electric stove sounds pretty good too, I'll have to try that one. I'm not sure if it's the butane or the coal but I actually dislike the taste of the lemonwood more than the quick lights. I suppose it's just the butane.

It's the butane. I used to light my coals the same way until I discovered an amazing thing called an electric stove. My lemonwood coals have no taste at all.