Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZookahHookah

Romman Shisha Reviews

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Mint

Methodology:

-Approximately 50 hits/person across 35 minutes

-3 individuals in the circle

-33mm Golden coal, offset holes, foil rotated every couple minutes

-22" generic 1-hose hookah

-Vase filled with cold water

First Impressions:

VERY sticky, lots of molasses, but not unmanageable, slightly stemmy, all typical for Romman. Aromatic but not overwhelmingly so. Professional-looking tin with a zip lock pouch within. Zip lock pouch is fairly useless, leaks molasses rendering tin rather disgusting. (Shisha was transferred to a jar earlier this week, more details to follow on that technique.)

Post Mortem:

Almost cooked all the way through. Only about 10% retained any kind of moisture.

Pros:

-Decently thick smoke, quite usable for rings, french inhale, etc.

-Consistent smoke

-Significant buzz

-Natural mint taste for the majority of the bowl

-Strong menthol coolness

Cons:

-Mildly stemmy

-Slightly metallic aftertaste towards the end of the bowl

Eric's Thoughts:

Mint isn't my favorite flavor to smoke on its own. I've had mint mixed with many different flavors in the past from fruit to chocolate, and to be quite honest, I don't really like the mint on its own. I feel that mint is better suited as an enhancement for other fruit flavors and should really rarely be smoked alone. I felt that the flavor didn't have anything beyond the menthol's cooling sensation, which really cannot be held against it as it is advertised as a pure mint flavor. Overall, good smoke, wouldn't do it alone too often, but the flavoring is certainly as advertised.

Andrew's Thoughts:

First 20 minutes were spectacular. Natural mint flavor with powerful cooling that opened up my chest and lungs (I'm asthmatic). The metallic taste kicked in about two thirds of the way into the bowl, but was much like that of organic toothpaste–probably the result of a menthol overdose. The nicotine rush was so strong that I had to lie down only 10 minutes into the bowl, and was physically uncoordinated until a full 15 after we had put down the hose. Overall, the experience was quite enjoyable (as a mint-lover, admittedly), if quite intense. In my experience, the mint also mixes quite well with other flavors (berry, chocolate, etc.), so I honestly don't see how you can possibly go wrong with this shisha.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline)

I agree with Andrew--the mint completely cleared out my sinuses, which was nice.

Conclusion:

Honest and intense, Romman Mint is perfect for any mint-lover, though it might be a bit strong for the rest of us, not to mention a bit pricey ($5/50g, $12/125g). However, mint's natural mixability makes this shisha a difficult one to pass up.

EDIT (4/06/09): After nearly an hour of debate, we've decided to change the grade to B+/A-, as I (Andrew) strongly believe that Romman Mint is a run-out-and-buy shisha, whereas Eric finds its overwhelming flavor when smoked on its own to be too negative a quality to warrant an A of any kind. We are both very opinionated (as advertised!).

B+/A-

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Cappuccino

Methodology:

-20 hits/person over 30 minutes

-2 people in the circle

-40mm Golden centered on foil

-22" generic 1-hose hookah filled with ice water

First Impressions:

Not the juiciest by Romman standards, but still very juicy. Box is simple and descriptive. A few stems, but typical of Romman tobacco. It smells strongly of coffee and mocha, great smell.

Post Mortem:

Cooked completely through, only about 5% retaining any kind of moisture at all.

Pros:

-Thick smoke

-Nice, complex flavor

-Decent flavor retention

-Good buzz

Cons:

-Flavor weak at times

-Seemed to burn easily

-Actual flavor is difficult to distinguish from that of burning shisha

Andrew's Thoughts:

Spectacular aroma that made me think of hot mochas from Rao's or Starbucks. Good, tasty hits, but the flavor faded in and out, and the tobacco, though juicy, came to a burn within a few minutes and required constant attention. Might be worth trying again with a Vortex bowl, though we have no personal experience with them.

Eric's Thoughts:

This flavor was a bit underwhelming to me. That's not to say it was a bad flavor, it certainly tasted as advertised, the flavor could have just been a bit stronger. The smoke was good and thick, typical Romman tobacco and the smell is reasonably strong and pleasant and lasts quite a while. Its got a good buzz, again as is typical of Romman tobacco. All around, a good complex flavor, not terribly strong, and thus, not the most enjoyable smoke, but its definitly not unpleasant. I wouldn't say don't buy it, but I'd say that you shouldn't expect any kind of intensity from it.

Conclusion:

Pleasant and smokeable, I would probably buy this again, but especially with Romman's price increase, the occasionally disappointing flavor and frequent burning might not make this shisha worth it for everyone. Not terrible, but not great, only alright at best.

B-

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Chocolate Strawberry

Methodology:

-20 hits (Eric), 10 (Caroline), and 5 (Andrew) over 30 minutes

-3 people in the circle

-40mm Golden centered on foil

First Impressions:

Standard for Romman: juicy, slightly stemmy, and smelling delightfully of real strawberries dipped in chocolate. The smell is absolutely mouthwatering. Packaging was the typical new Romman design, black and red with a pictured depicting the flavor within.

Post Mortem:

Cooked (or "donezo", as Eric so eloquently put it). Very little moisture remaining. Again, typical for Romman shishas.

Pros:

-Thick, malleable smoke

-Significant buzz

Cons:

-Flavor was not strong AT ALL

-Buzz bordered on sickening (at least for Andrew, but then he smoked way too much anyway)

Andrew's Thoughts:

Smell: orgasmic. Taste: spectacularly disappointing. I really could barely taste anything, although what flavor I did notice was quite similar to the scent. Still, while the smoke itself was good, I would not personally purchase this again.

Eric's Thoughts:

This was a grade A disappointment in my book. Everything leading up to the smoke hitting my tongue led me to believe that this flavor would be absolutely incredible. And in the end, all I could come away with was a resounding "eh". The smoke was thick, as is typical with Romman tobacco, but the flavor, which we at first classified as "subtle" quickly turned to "weak" or "nonexistent". Perhaps it is due to the massive expectations I had going into this review, but I cannot now say that this flavor was in any way good. If you're looking for a smokable tobacco, you can certainly do a helluva lot worse than this, but if you're looking for a good flavor, you'd be far better off buying something else.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline) I was quite excited when we bought this one, and even more so when we opened it up: the smell is amazing--just like fresh strawberries in chocolate. However, once we started smoking, I was horribly disappointed. The flavor is anything but intense; merely a hint of strawberries and chocolate. Interesting, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Conclusion:

Great smell and great smoke thickness. But these attributes do not make up for the almost entire lack of flavor. Its not the worst thing in the world, but there are many brands/flavors out there that significantly eclipse Romman Chocolate Strawberry ($5/50g). In the end, would not buy again.

C+

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Rose

Methodology:

-20 hits/person over 27 minutes

-3 people in the circle

-40mm Golden somewhat off-center on foil, rotated every few minutes

First Impressions:

Typical Romman cut (so slightly stemmy), but juicier than most. Delightful rose smell is strong but not overpowering.

Post Mortem:

Thoroughly cooked, only very slightly sticky at the bottom.

Pros:

-Strong sweet rose flavor that doesn't overpower

-Solid buzz

-Delightful smoke

Cons:

-Burned a little quick

-Flavor could have been a little stronger

Andrew's Thoughts:

Rose has always been one of my favorite shisha flavors, and the Romman Rose delivered on most, if not all, the criteria I have for good rose tobacco. The flavor is strong, pleasant, and natural, while avoiding the overpowering nature of some of the other roses I've sampled.

Eric's Thoughts:

I like rose, I've always liked rose, and Romman does it very well. Admittedly it wasn't as strong as some of the rose shisha I've smoked in the past, but at the same time, this isn't a bad thing. Previous bowls of rose have been overpowering. Romman's rose is most certainly not overpowering, rather it is present without overstaying its welcome. The smoke thickness wasn't great at first, but after a while it got going quite well. Typical Romman smoke, typical Romman buzz, nothing new there. Bottom line is, it was quite good and I would absolutely buy it again.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline) Rose is hands down my favorite flavor. It smells absolutely beautiful and is generally a nice break from the usual sickly-sweet fruit flavors. Produces a decent amount of smoke, as well as being quite calming. I think this could be enjoyable even for someone who doesn't like rose or other more herbal flavors.

Conclusion:

It seems that as we smoke more and more Romman, we start to lose sight of those qualities that make it great. We've begun to take the accurate, natural flavor, thick smoke, and strong buzz for granted, and as a result this review was somewhat hard to write. Although we couldn't find really anything wrong with it, it somehow seemed less exciting than an "A" shisha ought to. However, taking into account Caroline's opinion and my own memories of the first time I smoked Romman, this tobacco really is up for an A, held back only slightly by minor complaints regarding flavor and duration.

A-

Stickied it for you :)

Really nice reviews, I'm using you in my tutorial :)

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Apple Cinnamon

Methodology:

-20 hits per person over 35 minutes

-40mm Golden coal, off-center holes with a larger ventilation hole opposite

-Foil rotated every minute

First Impressions:

The box is the new Romman design, red and black with a picture of the flavor inside. Incredibly intense smell, very sticky shisha. Typical Romman cut, a couple of stems. The shisha smelled strongly of hot cinnamon

Post Mortem:

Only about 50% of the tobacco was black by the end. A good portion of it retained the original color, though very little of it was still sticky.

Pros:

-Accurate cinnamon with noticeable apple flavor

-Thick smoke

-Strong buzz

Cons:

-Cinnamon frequently overpowers, sometimes to the point of unsmokeability

-Apple flavor could be stronger

Andrew's Thoughts:

When first smoking this, it was almost intolerable. While the flavor itself was delicious, tasting strongly of cinnamon yet retaining undertones associated with apple crisp, the cinnamon "burn" was just too strong. However, especially in other bowls we've smoked (all generally with the above methodology), I have enjoyed this shisha, though with a caveat: you absolutely cannot hit it too hard, nor can you allow it to burn. Given the chance, this shisha will incinerate your lungs. Other than its dangerous cinnamon flavor, the Romman Apple Cinnamon was quite tasty, with excellent smoke and buzz, and I would probably buy this again (though not any time soon).

Eric's Thoughts:

The first time I smoked this flavor (40mm center coal), it was far too intense. I went into this expecting a sweet cinnamon and was met with a Big Red cinnamon kick to the throat. The flavor is quite imbalanced in my opinion. The flavor is dominated by the cinnamon, and the apple is only a mere afterthought. I'm not entirely sure if that is what Romman was shooting for, but I feel that a more balanced interplay of cinnamon and apple would have been more enjoyable. Some may think that there is no such thing as too intense when it comes to shisha. But if ever there was a shisha that was unenjoyably intense, this is it. There were times when the tobacco wasn't even harsh, yet we were coughing because of the overpowering nature of the cinnamon. Making this flavor more balanced, and thus less intense, would make this flavor far more enjoyable and accessible for everyone. Now while I'm harping on how unbearable the flavor is, understand that it is not that the flavor is always unbearable. Rather, with this flavor, you have to make many changes to how you typically smoke hookah. We found ourselves poking what we would normally consider unnecessary holes in the foil in order to let some clean air into the stem. Once that happened, the flavor became not only bearable, but enjoyable. Bottom line is, don't expect to be taking huge hits because the cinnamon burns.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline) Despite its harshness, I enjoy this flavor. It is extremely strong, but if you're careful with it, or even mix it with something else to tone down the spiciness of the cinnamon (something we haven't yet done), its definitely worth trying. I had best results when I inhaled slightly less than I usually do.

Conclusion:

Frequently harsh and overpowering, the Romman Apple Cinnamon should be approached with caution. However, when set up correctly, this shisha can reward you with thick smoke, a strong buzz, and a rich flavor. We might buy this again, but not without careful consideration.

B-

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Grape

Methodology:

-20 hits/person across 30 minutes

-40mm Golden coal offest holes with a ventilation hole opposite

-Foil rotated every couple hits

-Ophelia filled with ice water

First Impressions:

New Romman box design, red and black with a picture of a bunch of grapes on the front. Typical Romman cut with a few small stems. Shisha is very juicy and smells strongly of grapes, not a perfectly natural smell, more like grape Jolly Ranchers or grape jelly, but a bit less sugary (a bit like wine).

Post Mortem:

Cooked all the way through, only 5% retaining any kind of moisture at all.

Pros:

-Decent smoke

-Moderate buzz

-Flavor matches smell

Cons:

-Flavor is unexpected, not very sugary sweet

-Flavor is not incredibly strong

Andrew's Thoughts:

I picked this up at Trade Roots (the local head shop) on an impulse, but I've always wanted to try grape shisha, and Romman is a consistently solid brand. From a distance, the shisha smelled good, like Welch's mixed with Manischewitz. Up close, however, the smell was overpowering and somewhat unpleasant. The taste of the smoke was quite similar to the smell, a somewhat bitter grape jelly. Though the smoke was thick (we even blew some smoke bubbles), I really wasn't satisfied with the flavor. I had hoped for something sweeter and more obvious, and while the grape wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Eric's Thoughts:

I've been wanting to smoke a grape flavor for a while now, and while this wasn't quite what I was expecting from a grape flavor, I did enjoy it. I feel that the slight lack of flavor and lower density of smoke might come from the fact that we had a hole opposite the coal pattern, thus diluting it all. So I feel that this flavor, when smoked with a more airtight seal, will probably yield a better result. The grape as stated above isn't an insanely sweet sugary grape, but rather a tart grape flavor. It has great depth and I would definitely continue smoking it.

Peanut Gallery:

The grape was…decent. Nothing incredibly special, but it wasn’t bad. The flavor was not as strong as I had hoped, nor as sweet as I was expecting; rather, it was mild and a bit on the bitter side, in a good way. We likened the flavor to concord grape jelly. Interesting, subtle, and something I will probably smoke again.

Conclusion:

While this flavor might not be what one would expect out of a grape shisha, it's hard to say that it's bad. It is an accurate grape flavor, subtle and deep. If you're looking for a sugary-sweet grape, this isn't it, but Romman Grape is unquestionably grape flavored, and a solid smoke to boot.

B

Guest roka_zulu

These reviews are pretty badass--

Very detailed and descriptive.

good work zook ;]

Thanks a lot Roka.

We're trying to bring the most comprehensive reviews of Shisha to the web. So far what I've seen, nobody else goes into the kind of detail that we go into, because there are so many variables and factors that contribute to the smoking of hookah, that our way, while best in our mind, might not work for others. So to generalize by saying that a shisha IS a certain way is to provide false information. So we try and give you as much info as possible about how we smoked it and then allow you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions.

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Sweet Start

Methodology:

-30 hits/person over 35 minutes

-40mm coal offset holes rotated every few passes

-Ophelia filled with ice water

First Impressions:

Typical Romman thick cut, slightly stemmy with a couple larger stems, very sticky. Sweet, subtle scent with mildly chemical undertones.

Post Mortem:

Thoroughly cooked, only about 5% retaining any kind of moisture.

Pros:

-Thick smoke

-Subtle but sweet flavor

-Solid Romman buzz

Cons:

-Flavor could be stronger

-Flavor dies out in the last 1/3 of the bowl

-Slightly chemical/metallic aftertaste in the back of your throat

Andrew's Thoughts:

Having smoked sweet start about a year ago, I had a couple of preconceptions coming into this review. I expected a solid smoke with a slightly chemical but quite sweet taste, and that is precisely what I got. Though its underwhelming was somewhat disappointing, I honestly enjoyed this shisha. Its natural subtlety make it an obvious candidate for mixing, especially since "sugar" is a flavor that works in almost any mix. In fact, I'm probably going to try some "sweetmint" now.

Eric's Thoughts:

I'm going to preface this section by saying that I am, at the time of writing this, incredibly congested thanks to Hay Fever (hoo-friggin-ray). So, please take that into consideration while reading my thoughts. This isn't the first time I've smoked this flavor, and that said, I definitely remember this flavor being stronger. Whether that's a change on Romman's part or on mine, you can be the judge. That said, the flavor is still an indescribable "sweet" flavor. There's very little else to it. I don't think I, or anyone, could put their finger on exactly what it is this shisha tastes like. But it is enjoyable and not overpowering. The smoke was thick and the buzz was significant. Beyond that, there isn't much else to say. All told it makes for a nice breakaway from the typical fruity flavors without venturing into the somewhat scary realm of spicy flavors like cinnamon or clove.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline) This flavor is pretty weak, especially when compared to regular mint, and isn't all that exciting on its own. By the end what little flavor there was completely gone. Its probably best to mix it with something.

Conclusion:

Though this shisha is a little weaker than others, it's hard to imagine a strong yet purely sweet flavor that isn't overwhelmingly chemical. Romman Sweet Start isn't something I would immediately pack to show off our fancy hookah to a group of hot chixx, but it certainly isn't bad, and I can't imagine anyone really disliking it. That said, if asked, you WILL NOT be able to describe its flavor as anything but "sweet".

B

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Berry Breeze

Methodology:

-24 hits/person over 40 minutes

-4 individuals in the circle

-2 Coco Nara coals, offset holes, rotated every few minutes

-3 hose Mya staff filled with cold water, small Heba defuser attached

First Impressions:

Typical choppy Romman cut, very moist and sticky. Aroma very sweet, like mixed berries. Not too many stems.

Post Mortem:

Almost cooked completely, very little moisture, about 5% with any color.

Pros:

-Sweet flavor

-Thick smoke

-Good buzz

Cons:

-Strange aftertaste, kinda soapy

Andrew's Thoughts:

Romman Berry Breeze was an extremely strange experience. I remember smoking it last year and even last semester, and it was delicious. Very much a "berry" flavor. However, while this pack looked and smelled like a strong, berry-flavored Romman shisha, it acted quite differently. On the very first hit of our first bowl (not the one described above, and one Eric was not present for), I got an overwhelming taste of bitter soap. While I could discern the familiar berry-ness behind it, it was completely unsmokeable. Thinking I had somehow packed it wrong, we cleaned out the bowl, even washing it with hot water, and redid the foil with some new tobacco. However, the exact same thing happened: whatever berry flavor present was eclipsed by a mask of soapy toxicity, and we put the hose down after only 3 hits.

Thinking of Tangiers (an unwashed tobacco), which needs to be acclimated before smoking, we tried leaving it out for a few hours. After three, the shisha still smoked poorly but was noticeably improved, so we decided to leave it out overnight. The next evening, in the session described above, the tobacco was much better than it had been before. The berry flavor was now prominent, and we actually had a chance to see how the smoke and buzz were. While the smoke wasn't spectacular, it was average for Romman, which is always quite good. I also felt a significant amount of nicotine in my system, but again, nothing unusual by Romman standards. The biggest problem with this tobacco was the soapiness. Even on that final bowl, I could still taste it a little, and as the berry flavor faded it become increasingly prominent. Moreover, our friend who bought a pack of Berry Breeze at the same time and place that we did also had this problem, so it wasn't isolated to the pack. This could just be a bad batch, but as we grade on the experiences we have, the soapiness was a major setback for this shisha.

Eric's Thoughts:

We've smoked Berry Breeze before, but this batch was a little stranger than previous bowls. Couldn't tell you what about it changed, but something had changed. The shisha smelled strongly of mixed berries and was very sweet. The flavor was very close to the smell, though there was something a bit off. Andrew and company described it as somewhat "soapy" though I didn't quite get that impression. However I do agree that something wasn't quite right with the flavor. Still though, for the majority of the bowl, the flavor to me was quite good. Smoke was thick, buzz was strong, and flavor was, for the most part, reasonably enjoyable. Its not the berry breeze from my memory, but it was still a decent smoke.

Conclusion:

Romman Berry Breeze is a solid tobacco with some serious consistency issues in production. Grading from memory, this shisha could easily be a B+ and possibly and A, but this batch was simply too flawed. While the flavor was good for much of the session, it took a lot of work to get it that way, and it never quite lost its soapiness.

B-

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Cola

Methodology:

-4 people in the circle

-24 hits/person (3 people), 9 hits/person (the other guy), over 40 minutes

-2 Coco Nara coals, offset holes, rotated every few minutes

-3 hose Mya staff filled with cold water, small Heba defuser attached

First Impressions:

Sticky Romman tobacco in a pretty Romman box (ie, the usual). Smells strongly of Coke, but far more herbal, as you might expect a cola shisha to.

Post Mortem:

Dry and crusty on top, a little moist on the bottom, but overall fairly well cooked.

Pros:

-Thick smoke

-Strong buzz

-Delicious, accurate cola flavor

Cons:

-Herbal nature of flavor might be unpleasant to some

Andrew's Thoughts:

Dear god it took us a while to finish this review. I suppose we ought to begin with the usual Romman routine: good buzz, good smoke, blah, blah, blah... Flavor! Here it gets interesting. This shisha mells and tastes like essence of cola, and is quite pleasant for it, though you might not like the sharpness of its herbal-ness (but, of course, I do). The idea that Coke-flavored anything doesn't have to be obscenely saccharine is refreshing, and even Caroline, who hates Coke, loved this flavor. It's strong but not overpowering, and it's quite easy to imagine mixing it with a variety of flavors (vanilla, cherry, etc.). Damn do I love this shisha.

Eric's Thoughts:

First and foremost, if you're looking for a shisha that tastes like Coke, go elsewhere. Now that that's out of the way, on to the reviewing. The smoke was thick as is typical of Romman tobacco, and the buzz was strong, also typical of Romman tobacco. The flavor was absolutely incredible though. When we first bought this a while back, we were expecting it to taste like Coke. Boy were we wrong about that. In fact, calling it Cola flavored was probably the best idea overall, as it tastes far more herbal than Coke or Pepsi taste. Simply put, it tasted exactly like how I would imagine the cola plant would taste or smell prior to any industrial meddling. And still, despite its herbal nature, this is still a very sweet shisha. Not as sweet as Sweet Start is perhaps, but still quite sweet and strong. Overall its an excellent flavor and a great smoke.

Conclusion:

Another solid showing from Romman, Cola is a delightful flavor that can easily be mixed or smoked alone. For us, it's certainly one to keep in stock. While its strong herbal flavor might repel some, everyone should at least give it a try.

A-

Brand/Flavor:

Romman Double Apple

Methodology:

-22 hits/person over 35 minutes

-2 CoCo Naras, offset holes with 3 small vent holes opposite, foil rotated every few minutes

-3 hose Mya Staff filled with ice water with a small Heba diffuser

First Impressions:

Typical choppy Romman cut, very sticky and moist. This batch was a bit more stemmy than those past with at least one very large stem. Smells strongly of anise (kind of like black licorice) with a vague hint of apple. Very herbal.

Post Mortem:

Cooked almost all the way through, less than 5% moisture retention.

Pros:

-Reasonably thick smoke

-Strong buzz

-Strong anise flavor

Cons:

-Anise completely overpowers the apple

Andrew's Thoughts:

Double Apple is one of those flavors that every hookah smoker has tried at least once. Nearly every brand has one, and it's usually one of its top sellers. That said, I only recently discovered what Double Apple actually is, at least according to Sonthert over at Tangiers (he actually makes the stuff, so I'm taking his word for it). Apparently Double Apple is made with apple, anise and rose oil, and that is what distinguishes it from normal apple flavors. I was therefore a bit more forgiving when I took my first hit and tasted nothing but anise. However, the same went for my second, third and fourth hits, and indeed throughout the entire bowl I could taste nothing resembling an apple or even rose-like flavor. As a licorice-lover, I do enjoy anise most of the time, but this was just too much. It was sharp, herbal, and overpowering, and beyond practicing my smoke rings I really had very little motivation to keep inhaling. If you really really like anise, you'll probably like this shisha, but everyone else would probably be better off looking elsewhere for their apple fix.

PS. Eric says this tobacco is for licorice lovers. I disagree. I LOVE Romman Licorice, which tastes like licorice. This tastes like anise. Anise is a lot less sweet, and any real licorice fan can readily distinguish the two. If you hate licorice, however, they probably both taste the same, and you probably ought to stay away from this stuff anyway.

Eric's Thoughts:

I'm personally no fan of black licorice, so I will admit I'm a wee bit biased against this flavor. But here goes. The smoke was thick and fun to play with and the buzz was strong. Not pass out strong, but strong. That said, from my understanding of Double Apple, the Anise flavor should balance with the apple flavor. Romman doesn't quite get that though. In fact, I could honestly barely taste anything resembling apple whatsoever. Each hit I took was simply anise, anise and more anise. The smoke and buzz were both good enough not to make me want to stop smoking it, and the Anise flavor wasn't nasty enough to make me gag, but as far as apple goes, there really wasn't anything going on. So if you're looking for something that tastes like licorice, Romman Double Apple is great. If you're looking for a proper double apple, I suppose you could do a helluva lot worse than Romman, but not by much.

Peanut Gallery:

(Caroline) I was excited to try Double Apple, because I love apples and anything apple flavored, but was sorely disappointed when I did. It's like Apple Jacks—it doesn’t taste like apples. Except, unlike Apple Jacks, it doesn’t even taste like sugary, delicious cereal, either. The flavor is more along the lines of burnt Italian cookies combined with old black licorice and despair. Anise was the dominant flavor, and there wasn’t even a hint or an aftertaste of anything that remotely resembled apples. Not a flavor I would willingly smoke again.

Conclusion:

The usual Romman strengths of buzz and thick smoke couldn't save this shisha from its lopsided flavor. Recommended only to anise-lovers and those who care only about nicotine and smoke.

C+

Guest MrMister

Methodology:

-45 minutes

-1 person

-2 x 1/4 Exotica Fingers

-1 Hose Mya QT

Pros:

-Reasonably thick smoke

-Mild buzz

Conclusion:

I acquired this in a clearance bundle from HookahShisha along with Honeydew and Bubblegum, it is no secret now as to why it was less than two dollars for a fifty gram box. It smells like a licorice potpourri in the box but does break up well little with few stems being present. The first few initial hits resembled bittersweet chocolate with very mild vanilla extract and after that it was pretty much downhill from there. I don't know banana splits taste in Jordan but they don't taste like this here. Hopefully the honeydew and bubblegum change my mind about Romman.

D-

yeah generally the clearance flavors aren't good. I've tried banana split before...it actually kinda tasted like a banana split, but there wasn't enough flavor for me. But that was quite a while ago...

Guest josh_holaday

After reading this i went out and bought some of the mint. I loved it! thanks for all the awesome reviews!

Guest TheRingKing

Flavor: Romman Chocolate

I'm a die-hard Starbuzz and Al Fakher fan, so at first I was skeptical of Romman. Until I tried Romman chocolate.

Setup:

Hookah = Mya Petite

Bowl = Mya Saray Petite (I've also used the standard mya bowl)

Hose = Washable all-plastic

Foil = Reynolds HD

Coals = Starbuzz 35mm (sometimes I use 33mm GoldenCoals for second and third coals because they are smaller than the Starbuzz counterparts)

Pros:

--Excellent cut

--Very thick smoke

--Average buzz

--The TASTE...it's heavenly

--Flavor lasted very long, even in my little Mya Petite bowl

--Shisha in the 250g tin is divided into 2 separate pouches to keep it fresh, very good.

Cons:

--Very stemmy

The tin I had must have been from a bad batch, because it was one of the stemmiest tins I'd ever seen (of any brand). The cut was impressive, very small pieces. Probably the best cut I've seen yet. Usually when the cut is very fine it ends up as a mushy paste, but that wasn't true of the Romman at all. Nice and juicy, what I expected from a top-shelf shisha brand.

The smoke got thick pretty quickly, rings were very easy. The buzz was nice too. Flavor lasts as long as any shisha I've ever had. It's a very deep, warm flavor, but not overpowering. Mixes well with mint also, though it might take some practice.

Conclusion: I LOVE this flavor. From the first time I hit it, I was a hooked. If you like warmer flavors like cola, cardamom, or cinnamon, run out and buy it right now. They really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Grade:

A

Guest onotole

Where can I find Romman hookah in NY? I want only to taste it, maybe you know some hookah bar with this type of hookh?

Romman Good Times

Hookah: Mya Cono

Hose: Nammor with Mystique Ice Tip

Base: Cold Water

Bowl: Alien Phunnel

Coal: 3 Coco Naras

Smoke: Dense and Bountiful

Buzz: Oh yeah!

Cut: Medium shred

Wetness: Wet, but not thick or sticky. Definitely very juicy

Smell: Citrusy and menthol tones

Taste: Cool, sweet citrus with lots of menthol

Opinion: Well I'm gonna cut right to the chase... I smoked Newports for years and this shisha was absolutely delicious. It felt like a more clean and complex relative of my old standby. The taste is great with a good aroma and after taste, the cooling chill during the inhales was remarkably refreshing. I had no idea what I was ordering when I decided I'd try "Good Times" I just knew for my first Romman purchase I wanted a flavor offered only by them. This shisha keeps a trucking for 2 hours although the flavor dies down by the second round of coals. The thick smoke is very pleasant and cooling which is further enhanced using an ice hose if you like that sensation. With no doctoring this flavor has now placed itself on my "must have a supply of" list and am very delighted with giving it a try. I've never had menthol like this, this is very enhanced with the fruity/zest tones!

Overall 10/10 *note bias toward menthol to be completely fair*