Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Genie

Hydro Herbal's Flower Power (Sweet Rose)

Guest Genie

Using ZookahHookah's reviews as my guide, here's my go at a first ever review.

Brand/Flavor:

Hydro Herbal Molasses

Flower Power (Sweet Rose)

Methodology:

--Bambino Hookah w/stock hose and combo wind cover bowl w/screen

--lightly iced water

--1 Shishaco coal, halved, one on each side of screen

--wind cover closed and only mostly latched, didn't lock it

--smoking on my own

--homemade diffuser using an emptied and rinsed Mighty Leaf tea bag (it worked GREAT).

First Impressions:

Upon opening the package I found about what I expected. Wet, sticky, what looked like shards of bagasse. Purpley-red in color, like blackberry juice. I expected a better smell but it smelled kind of sicky sweet, less like rose and more like... imagine rose candy. Although a couple of hours after having opened the package, the smell improved greatly.

The experience:

AH-MAZE-ING! My first rose shisha experience was with Al Fakher. This was every bit as good but slightly different. Al Fakher's rose numbed my tongue a bit like szechuan pepper. Hydro's rose occasionally created a bit of tingling, but it wasn't nearly the same. The taste was better though. It was really really good. Like roses but sweet, sweeter than Al Fakher's rose but not crazy sweet. Smooth, non-irritating, and absolutely full of wonderful sweet rose flavor.

I had hoped it would be good, it far exceeded my hopes. The smell in the house was incredible as it smoked. I think it would have smoked a bit better but I was fiddling with the coals and bowl quite a bit, trying to get it right so I can't say much for the clouds at the moment, although they weren't bad. This was my first ever home hookah experience. I think I'll have much better clouds next time. It was improving considerably until I got too coal happy and burned the shisha. But I'd been smoking for over 30 minutes in by that time--the coals were doing just fine, I shouldn't have added more.

Post Mortem:

This shisha wasn't so wet that it dripped down the bowl. It stayed put quite well and was easy to clean out, even though I'd burned it!

Pros:

Incredible smell in the house during and after.

Incredible taste, lots of flavor, doesn't taste like "decaf."

But it's definitely "decaf," there's no buzz in herbal shisha, which is a pro for me.

Cons:

No buzz, good for me, probably not so good for most of you.

I can't think of anything bad to say about it. It was really good. I've tried two other Hydro flavors that I'll review soon and I've got several cons about them so don't think I'm some Hydro-Pollyanna.

Conclusion:

Even the tobacco shisha loving hookites will appreciate this (if they like rose smell/flavor). The flavor and smell is just that good. Unlike the other two Hydro flavors I sampled tonight, this one isn't missing anything except, if you must have it, the buzz.

A+ for me because it was exactly what I've been looking for, an amazing and fragrant smoke without nicotine. I'm stocking up!

338_hookah.gif

Guest Genie

Ooops, sorry I didn't see the thread for Hydro reviews. Please move this thread there?

I'm starting a Saalaam Review thread, let me know if that's a problem.

Guest kadeer

thanks for the review! i really liked it and i cant wait to try out this flavor

Guest Genie

So far, I'm finding that the Sweet Rose mixes well with several flavors. I don't like mint, but I mix this stuff with other shisha like other people mix mint in everything. Okay, I haven't tried it in any coffee or chocolate flavored anything, but it seems to blend well with fruit flavors and especially well with Earl Grey.

I also like mixing it with AF Rose, dilutes the buzz and sweetens the flavor.

Guest Genie

Brand/Flavor:

Hydro Herbal Peach

Methodology:

Me and my KM Kafae with Phunnel bowl, two layers of wrinkled HD foil, and three Shishaco coals.

First Impressions:

Smelled okay out of the box. Not a crazy scent of peach but sweet and peachy. Typical Hydro, sugarcane pulp and syrup but not overly moist.

Post Mortem:

Haven't seen it yet but typically Hydro always does the same thing. I've never burned a bowl, it just gets drier and drier until all that remains is slightly sticky bagasse shards and some color.

You can keep smoking it for quite a while past when it's "done," but all you'll really be getting is glycerin.

Pros:

- Flavorful! Best Hydro I've had next to their Sweet Rose. Doesn't taste artificial, just tastes good. Does it taste like a peach? Well... it tastes peachy.

- Great clouds

- No buzz, which is the point of smoking an herbal shisha.

Cons:

- Gotta be careful with the heat or you'll be tasting more glycerin than flavor

Conclusion:

Fantastic clouds, Hydro always has great clouds. Taste was actually really really good. Tasted better than it smelled. Have been sampling so many regular shishas recently that I'd all but forgotten my stockpile of untested Hydro. This was a very pleasant smoke. Got it a little too warm at one point and it went from peach taste to glycerin taste. Got the wind cover off, adjusted the coals, and once it cooled off a bit it was back to pleasant peach but I'd already overheated it so the glycerin taste lingered stronger than I'd have liked. Lesson learned, heat management important with Hydro! Don't let it get too warm.

I'm still smoking it after about 35 minutes. The peach taste is still there, not very strong but still pleasant. The glycerin taste is returning in full force as the peach flavoring has pretty much been smoked out of it. Knowing now that I'd better not let it get too warm, I suspect future bowls will be better--I'll be able to have a little bit more control over that glycerin jumping out at me.

B