Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Genie

Saalaam Natural Molasses Shisha Reviews

Guest Genie

Starting with.....

Brand/Flavor:

Saalaam Natural Molasses/Tiramisu

Methodology:

--Bambino Hookah w/stock hose and combo wind cover bowl w/screen

--lightly iced water (later changed to room temp water in hopes of enhancing the flavor, it didn't work.

--1 Shishaco coal, halved, one on each side of screen

--wind cover closed and locked

--smoking on my own

--homemade diffuser using an emptied and multi-punctured Frizz Ease bottle with homemade saran wrap "grommet" to seal it.

First Impressions:

The smell of the raw product was wonderful. Subtle, mildly spicy and nutty, sweet. Moist (not WET), sticky, what looked like shards of bagasse. Bagasse IS on the label, by the way. Color a rich brown, almost molasses colored.

The experience:

Entirely unsatisfying. Okay clouds, but flavor was unimpressive and too mild. Many hits seemed entirely without flavor. I expected much more based on the reviews. It really did smell promising right out of the box, the taste just didn't deliver. After about 40 minutes I finally just dumped the bowl and started with another flavor.

Post Mortem:

No problem with it dripping down the bowl's stem. It stayed put and washed out of the bowl easily.

Pros:

Incredible smell as packaged.

Organic.

Nicotine free.

Cons:

No buzz, good for me, probably not so good for most of you.

Entirely unimpressive flavor while smoking it, there was only the barest hint of the tiramisu flavoring.

Conclusion:

Waste of money.

Final grade:

I'd give it a D except that there was no harshness and it wasn't unpleasant, just unremarkable. So I have to go with a C-

Guest Genie

Brand/Flavor:

Saalaam Natural Molasses/Spiced Chai

Methodology:

--lightly iced water

--wind cover locked

--smoking on my own

--homemade diffuser using an empty and heavily punctured Frizz Ease bottle held tight to the downstem with a homemade saran wrap "grommet."

First Impressions:

Wet,sticky, full of bagasse shards. Out of the package the smell was very good, it didn't smell fake or artificial. It smelled very much like cinnamon and/or Christmas Tea.

The experience:

Underwhelming. I expected more. The reviews were so good. But despite the incredible smell of the packaged product, the smoke had very little flavor at all. I honestly felt like I might as well be smoking straight bagasse. Great clouds.

Post Mortem:

No problems with it dripping down the bowl. There is some burning/blackening to all the herbals I've used so far, but it hasn't affected their taste. The Spiced Chai stayed put quite well and was easy to clean out.

Pros:

Incredible smell right out of the package.

Good clouds, easy clean up.

No nicotine, great for me.

Cons:

No buzz, good for me, probably not so good for most of you.

No flavor in the smoke.

Conclusion:

Waste of money, the flavor was just too subtle, it was unsatisfying and uninteresting.

C- It wasn't harsh or unpleasant. Just unremarkable like the one I just reviewed above this one.

Guest roka_zulu

--homemade diffuser using an empty and heavily punctured Frizz Ease bottle held tight to the downstem with a homemade saran wrap "grommet."

LMAO.

and so apparently..saalaam sucks. :)

LMAO.

Macgyver much?

Guest Genie
Macgyver much?

Well, my lipstick diffuser was too long for the little Bambino's vase. Would have fit without tape or a homemade grommet though, totally ticked me off.

Was really surprised at how well it worked, but someone else somewhere suggested an emptied Mighty Leaf tea bag and that worked even better. I guess any piece of organza would do.

Yes, I Macgyver much, but usually badly.

Guest Genie

Brand/Flavor:

Saalaam Natural Molasses/Cherry cola

Methodology:

--plain, room temperature water

--wind cover closed and locked

--smoking on my own

--homemade diffuser using an emptied and multi-punctured Frizz Ease bottle with homemade saran wrap "grommet" to seal it.

First Impressions:

The smell of the raw product was interesting. If you've ever hooked up a fountain drink dispenser than you know that the soda syrup is one tank and the co2 dispenser is in another tank--when you push the button under your preferred drink you are getting product from both tanks. You can drink the co2 mix alone and just get glass of bubbly water. I can SMELL that co2 stuff in this shisha. I can't explain it, but I can. I guess you could say that it smells fizzy. It was pretty wet when I first opened it but the next morning the raw product wasn't nearly as wet and gooey. I couldn't really detect the cherry much, just an unidentifiable sweetness. As for the cola smell, mmm, it was very subtle. Overall it was a pleasant smell, unusual, but pleasant.

The experience:

Unique. Good clouds. That fizzy taste was prevalent, the cola and cherry taste were too subtle for me. It wasn't an unpleasant smoke, but it wasn't especially enjoyable.

Post Mortem:

Minor dripping down the stem. Washed out easily.

Pros:

-Interesting smell as packaged.

-Organic.

-Nicotine free.

-Would be a fun novelty smoke with soda loving friends.

-Unique flavor, something worth trying just because of its uniqueness.

Cons:

-No buzz, good for me, probably not so good for most of you.

-Not a very flavorful smoke.

Conclusion:

I'm glad I tried it for the novelty, that cola/co2 taste is very interesting, but not especially flavorful. I wouldn't smoke it again unless I had cola addict friends over and wanted them to try it for grins.

Final grade:

Not harsh. Not irritating. Unimpressive yet unique. C-

Guest Genie

LMAO.

So far! Hydro has proved itself much better--at least the rose has. It's downright amazing. Still have a flavor or two to try in the Saalaam though.

Guest Genie
Are you sticking to non-tobacco flavors?

-Andrew

For the most part. No interest in getting addicted to nicotine again. Although I do have a small stash of tobacco shisha for special occasions.

For the most part. No interest in getting addicted to nicotine again. Although I do have a small stash of tobacco shisha for special occasions.

Thass legit.

-Andrew

Guest Genie
Thass legit.

-Andrew

We don't let people smoke in the house. But hookah doesn't stink like ciggys. I can hardly wait to offer a smoking guest a hookah WITH nicotine for their smoking pleasure.

Although cig smokers inevitably still gotta have a cigg at some point during a hookah session.

We don't let people smoke in the house. But hookah doesn't stink like ciggys. I can hardly wait to offer a smoking guest a hookah WITH nicotine for their smoking pleasure.

Although cig smokers inevitably still gotta have a cigg at some point during a hookah session.

yeah that's usually how it goes for some reason...never could quite figure that one out to be honest.

Guest Genie
yeah that's usually how it goes for some reason...never could quite figure that one out to be honest.

I think it's like offering a coffee drinker tea in the morning. It still has caffeine in it, but it just isn't the same.

Guest roka_zulu

I agree with all these posts.

As an epic failure at life who dabbles in the cig smoking..

this is true =_=

Guest Genie

I've been unimpressed with all the Saalaams I've tried so far, but a couple of the Hydros have been really good, the rose in particular is amazing. I had a whole group of hookah fiends smoking not one but two bowls of Hydro rose with me Saturday night and they all raved about it. Except for one lady who just doesn't like rose flavored/scented anything. None complained about the lack of a buzz either.

I've been unimpressed with all the Saalaams I've tried so far, but a couple of the Hydros have been really good, the rose in particular is amazing. I had a whole group of hookah fiends smoking not one but two bowls of Hydro rose with me Saturday night and they all raved about it. Except for one lady who just doesn't like rose flavored/scented anything. None complained about the lack of a buzz either.

yeah sometimes its just fun to play with smoke and not have to worry about a general inability to stand afterwards.

Guest Genie

I had a friend over and she wanted to try Saalaam Spiced Chai.

I still don't like it at all, but she was in heaven. I've learned how to prepare the bowl much better and was able to set her up with a very flavorful and good smoking hookah. I just flat out don't like the flavor. Pretty much let her smoke the whole thing.

Guess that means if you like Chai tea, then you'll probably like Saalaam's Spiced Chai. I hate Chai tea, but it's my friend's fave.