Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Elektrobot

Cloud 9 in Fort Wayne Indiana

Guest Elektrobot

Well, I never knew my city had a Hookah Lounge until last weekend.

Cloud 9 is a coffee shop / head shop / hookah lounge that takes up 2 spaces in a small plaza. One side is a coffee, sandwich and ice cream shop, the other side is a straight up head shop-nothing very cool about it, seems like they cater to meth and crack heads. They do have some hookah stuff up front....but not more than 7 cans of Starbuzz and 3 or 4 hookahs. Thats it.

They have the back half of the head shop curtained off and setup as a hookah lounge. Nothing fancy, just some grungey furniture and nasty ceiling tiles.

I've been there twice so far, last Saturday and then last night (Friday), both times there were about 10 other people in and out of there during my 3 hour stay.

The people that work there are really nice and share duty between running the coffee shop, head shop and setting up hookahs, so they are busy.

First the good- The coffee shop is great, they have really great coffee and ice cream treats. They also have a list of over 50 loose leaf teas and they will bring anything from the coffee shop to the hookah lounge. Being able to sit down with a hookah and order a pot of tea is great, I seem to order a different pot of tea for each bowl. The coffee shop is obviously the anchor of the operation and is top notch.

The bad- Well, the hookah side just seems filthy and nasty. It could really be a gem if the owner put some effort into it, but right now its the type of place that you don't really even want to sit on anything.

Their equipment sucks. The hoses and grommets are worn and leaky and you are always having to fuss with something on it, and they don't know how to pack a bowl. I mean its so bad that the metal screen they use on top does not sit flush with the bowl because it's packed so full. Maybe they view this as generous.... but it just burns the shit out of the tobacco and does not draw or taste right. They also do not allow you to have a set of tongs so you can't fix it after they leave. (I think they had a problem with people using the tongs to remove the coals and screen and put their own "stuff" in the bowl)

If they just cleaned up the place and had someone train them on how to pack a bowl and got some new hoses and grommets, it could be top notch.

So, I will continue to patronize them in hopes of helping to grow their business so maybe they can make some improvements.

its a shame to see so many of hookah lounges using crappy equipment... its really not expensive for them at all to buy the good produts (comparing to their huge profit margin on hookahs

Guest Philosoraptor

My thoughts exactly Nima. A solid, good smoking setup is what $150 at the absolute max? Even if you're stocking 20 of those setups, it won't take long to make back the money when you're charging $15 to $18 per BOWL (20g at most) of smoking. Throw in the markups on reselling shisha and coals as well as light food service and there's no reason any hookah lounge can't use the good stuff!

I visited Cloud 9 one time and it was the worse experience of my life! The staff didn't know what they were doing... they sell out of date shisha, and the place is dark and dingy, much like an opium den. I will spend the extra $12 for postage and order all my shisha (50 % cheaper than that dried out grass cloud 9 sells) and hookah needs.

Thats sad that they dont take care of their customers well

I agree. That is why I am taking a spare bedroom in my house and designing my own hookah lounge. Lots of pillows on the floor for people to set. Just bring their own setups and it will be good to go.