Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Elektrobot

Screw Top VS. Grommet Vase

Question

Guest Elektrobot

I've noticed a few vases have a threaded insert at the top for the stem to screw into. Are these any better in the long run over a grommet/friction fit setup? Do they smoke any better?

Thanks for any input.

10 answers to this question

Guest Philosoraptor

I believe those are Mayas that have the threaded screw-in stems... (someone back me up on that). I haven't every tried one or set up one myself, but I get the feeling that it could be at least longer lasting (if not more airtight) than grommets.

Input from someone who has experience with them is probably more accurate though =D

hahahaha

and that's my cue!

Yes the more expensive Mya hookahs have a threaded stem and base.

As for smoke, there's really no noticeable difference. The Mya we use smokes just as well as the KM and the AF that we own. It all comes down to personal preference. On the one hand, the threaded stem is MUCH easier to remove from the base, whereas with my KM, I have to wrestle with it for a while. On the other hand, if you cross the threads and strip them, your stem is done for, whereas with the KM, you just buy a new grommet.

So yes it could be longer lasting, but you have to make sure that you don't mess up the threads, which means you have to be careful when assembling your hookah.

Guest Deadlegend

its not just mayas cause my ballerina stem screws into the base. Theres still a grommet in there too though. The only thin i can think of is that it may make it more air tight.

I know its not just Myas. It seems to be a feature adopted by most modern type hookahs. However the only modern type hookah I would ever readily suggest anyone buy is a Mya. I have dabbled (and paid the price) for using cheaper modern style generic hookahs. And while I don't know about your personal experience with the ballerina or any other kind of generic modern hookah, I can say that my modern hookah fell apart.

Guest Deadlegend

well mines rather new and i can say i hope that doesnt happen!

though i dont plan on using as much as my smaller ones. I plan on getting a small mya gellato ( i believe thats what there called) just for my personal every day use

Guest thundermango

i have both and after about a year of screwing and unscrewing (hahahaha) it will be striped anyhow and ruin the hookah , but one of the best and sturdiest i ever had was a screw-top

i have both and after about a year of screwing and unscrewing (hahahaha) it will be striped anyhow and ruin the hookah , but one of the best and sturdiest i ever had was a screw-top

well that's IF the hookah stem (threads especially) are made of poor quality metal. the Mya has lasted quite a while now and doesn't show any signs of wear or tear.

Guest thundermango

lol it was the gf, she couldt screw right always line it up first and reverse till it resets itself then screw it in . she didnt grasp that idea of engineering

Guest Deadlegend
she couldt screw right

damn man, hope you found a girl that can...;)

Guest thundermango

lol no complaints with love man, she just needed some practice haha ;)