Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest thundermango

Citrus Wood Charcoal

Question

Guest thundermango

how long do these coals stay lit and hot, as compared to 3 king large which is 45-60 min

13 answers to this question

hmm...they're decent.

I think they last a bit longer than your typical QL coal, however the problems with these natural wood coals don't come from heat or longevity. Mostly they come from shape. Most natural wood coals are very irregularly shaped and break in weird ways. So unless you're committed to sitting there with a small saw of some kind and TRYING to cut each one into a regular, uniform disk, you might just wanna look elsewhere.

They also produce a very fine white ash that, when looked at the wrong way, will blow everywhere and make a huge mess.

That said, this is about as natural as you can get, so if you're still wary about coconut coals like CoCo Naras or Chronic Hookah coals or what have you, then they are the way to go.

Guest thundermango

awesome u confirmed my thought ,thanks

i was affraid they were similar to my japanese natural coals

with the silver coating?

Nah they'd be closer to CCNs in terms of how they light, but really there's no popular coal analog to these things. If you wanna try 'em out, I'd say go for it. Its an experience either way lol.

Guest Genie

I've got a big ol' bag of the natural citrus wood coals to try next. Haven't felt like tackling them yet due to the irregular shapes and sizes. Will review them soon though. Got some Vivi naturals too, they are shaped quite oddly as well.

The citrus wood coals look like someone threw a tree in the fire, twigs and all, then broke it all up and bagged them up once they were coal. The Vivi's are shaped quite differently, but still very irregular.

Guest Genie

Not ready for an actual review on these yet, want to try them again, but had an absolute FAIL with them tonight.

Pulled out two large chunks and set them on the coil. What a pain they are to light! And it's hard to tell when they're fully lit because they're these chunks of wood, right, and wood isn't naturally smooth and consistent in shape. Finally got them lit and put them on the bowl and after 15 minutes I still wasn't getting any smoke at all. ??? So weird. Don't know if they just weren't producing enough heat or if their odd shape kept them from making enough contact with the foil.

Tried breaking one chunk after heating it, won't do that again, went everywhere. High danger factor with these! Lots of sparking and noise while they were heating up, had me nervous.

Next time I try them I'll see if I can break them down into chunks with at least one smooth side that will rest flat on the foil.

Gotta say, they're really cheap. If I could master them and if they are as clean burning as they're advertised to be, they'd save me a ton of money. Was tempted to rip the foil off the bowl and just lay them on the shisha, but only for a moment.

a moment of insanity perhaps Genie?

That's exactly my point about the natural wood coals.

For anyone who watches No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain, I refer here to the episode where he goes to Cairo.

In this episode, he smokes hookah with a buddy of his, and they used the natural wood coals. And what it looked like they did was first, poke large holes in the foil with the tongs (Not the poker...the tongs...) and then PILE a ton of natural coals on top, such that it resembled a small smoldering campfire.

Now while my description here does contain some embellishments (which should be rather obvious to you if you are reading carefully), what I say is mostly true. They piled a ton of coals on top...this was not the method I used when I had my experience with the natural wood coals, but there you go...apparently that's how they do it in Egypt.

Guest Genie
a moment of insanity perhaps Genie?

I'm just bound and deteremined to try all the nats I can. And they were so cheap, so why not?

For anyone who watches No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain, I refer here to the episode where he goes to Cairo.

I saw that episode but it was before I started smoking hookah so it didn't occur to me to pay attention to the set up. I mostly remember that he'd just quit smoking and was looking at the camera and talking to his wife (I think) and saying something like, "Sorry honey, it's my job. What can I do?" And then he blissed out.

In this episode, he smokes hookah with a buddy of his, and they used the natural wood coals. And what it looked like they did was first, poke large holes in the foil with the tongs (Not the poker...the tongs...) and then PILE a ton of natural coals on top, such that it resembled a small smoldering campfire.

Dang, now I totally want to try that. The campfire coal method, that is. Not too keen on the giant holes in my foil thing.

Now while my description here does contain some embellishments (which should be rather obvious to you if you are reading carefully), what I say is mostly true. They piled a ton of coals on top...this was not the method I used when I had my experience with the natural wood coals, but there you go...apparently that's how they do it in Egypt.

Might try it this way, but outside! I shudder to imagine my hookah campfire sliding off onto the floor.

Why not try, I've got the coals. They're just wasted otherwise. If I wait until winter (might be waiting a long time, this IS southwestTexas and freezes are few and far between) I can light the coals in the fireplace, probably easier that way!

Guest Genie

I got to thinking about you mentioning Anthony Bourdain. See the episode where he eats all the durian fruit? See the Bizarre Foods episodes of Andrew Zimmern NOT eating durian fruit because he can't handle the stench?

Wonder how long it is before someone tries to make a durian fruit shisha!

Okay, did I just jack the thread by going OT? Just delete this if you like, I won't fuss!

Guest bigtoepfer

Thanks for mentioning that episode. I just watched it while bored at work. It was awesome. Now after watching that and understanding what you said about the coals. Everytime i've seen videos or pictures or people with natural coals thats what its always looked like.

I got to thinking about you mentioning Anthony Bourdain. See the episode where he eats all the durian fruit? See the Bizarre Foods episodes of Andrew Zimmern NOT eating durian fruit because he can't handle the stench?

Wonder how long it is before someone tries to make a durian fruit shisha!

Okay, did I just jack the thread by going OT? Just delete this if you like, I won't fuss!

I've had Durian a long time ago...I'd be willing to try it again, but back when I was a kid, that stuff just smelled way too bad....I couldn't even be in the same room...lol

and I did find it hilarious that Andrew Zimmern of all people couldn't handle it.

Guest kalutika

Durian is not too bad. It smells terrible and tastes funny if you associate the flavor with a fruit. It's kind of like eggy and oniony cheese. I have NO interest in a durian tobacco. Lol.

Guest Genie
I've had Durian a long time ago...I'd be willing to try it again, but back when I was a kid, that stuff just smelled way too bad....I couldn't even be in the same room...lol

and I did find it hilarious that Andrew Zimmern of all people couldn't handle it.

Yeah, when Zimmern can't take two bites of something, you know it's scary. But it was weird to see Bourdain diving into it like it was, well, he was at least acting like he was near ecstasy eating it. Maybe he was just trying to out-do Zimmern! I know Zimmern doesn't drink, wonder if he'd smoke a hookah. Hope so!

Guest Genie
Durian is not too bad. It smells terrible and tastes funny if you associate the flavor with a fruit. It's kind of like eggy and oniony cheese. I have NO interest in a durian tobacco. Lol.

That doesn't sound so awful. But, what, is it like a Limburger cheese smell or something? I mean, they have durian-free zones in places where it grows because people find the smell so unpleasant.

Smoked Layalina Mangosteen last night, ugh, might as well have been Layalina Durian. It was nasty. They should have called it, "Three Day Old Wet Dishrag."