Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest MrMister

Howdy Doody (I just said doody)

Guest MrMister

Name: Chris

Hookah: Mya QT 14"

Bowl: Mya unglazed Ceramic

Coals: 33mm Golden Coals/Exotica Square Fingers

Favorite Shisha: Fantasia Purple Haze (So far, still only 3 days into this hobby)

I think that's enough to make me look like a jackass for now, well and this :infinite-banana:

Hey there chris. Welcome to the boards. Hope you find everything you need here. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask and we'll give you whatever help we can.

Guest MrMister

I'm sure I will be flooding the forums in the next few weeks with questions for you all as I still think I'm missing out on something here in the preparation process. ANY POINTERS ARE WELCOME!

Mythbusters + shisha = good times.

heh well I am in the process of writing a thing about hookah preparation (with pictars). IDK where that'll end up, I can only assume it'll be somewhere on this site, so once that's up, you can see how I prep my hookah.

Guest MrMister

Zookah, I was just reading your flavor reviews on the Romman section. You would be an EXCELLENT sommelier, too bad I'm not in the restaurant business anymore or I would call upon your services during tastings!

THIS SITE PWNZ MEH!

Guest mitchard

Welcome!

Ditch those golden coals. :) Though the exoticas aren't my favorite, they will serve you much better!

Guest MrMister

Thanks for the advice Mitchard, can you (or anybody else) give me a brief synopsis on how to light Exoticas in a pan on a glass stove?

Guest Genie

Welcome! I was born in Mississippi, but was only six weeks old when I left. Many hookah lounges around there?

Guest mitchard
Thanks for the advice Mitchard, can you (or anybody else) give me a brief synopsis on how to light Exoticas in a pan on a glass stove?

DO NOT light them on a glass stove. I have heard stories about it coals splitting the glass due to heat. I haven't tried using a pan, but I also haven't heard any success stories about it. :)

Is there a walgreens near you? You can pick up a single coil burner for around ten bucks. If not, places like amazon.com have them. They work amazing for nats. The exoticas light exceptionally fast on them.

hah thanks for the compliment.

As Mitchard said, don't light them on a glass stove. In fact, don't light them on your normal cooking stove period. I would suggest that, regardless of what kind of stove you have, to go out and get a portable single coil burner for a couple reasons.

1. You don't get ash and other crud all over the coil where you cook your food

2. If the coil is cheap enough, it would have any of that fire safety temperature regulation nonsense and it'll just burn hot (Which is what you want)

I picked mine up at Rite-Aid for 20 bucks and it lights Coco Naras in 5 minutes.

Guest MrMister

I ran across one at Rite-Aid for 19.99 but the wife said she doesn't "trust" those appliances. I have to agree they do kind of scare me. :P Is it possible to light them on a propane burner with some sort of grill to hold them in place outside?

Guest mitchard
I ran across one at Rite-Aid for 19.99 but the wife said she doesn't "trust" those appliances. I have to agree they do kind of scare me. :P Is it possible to light them on a propane burner with some sort of grill to hold them in place outside?

Yeah, but you are wasting time and effort. The coil burners are fine. They even turn off when they reach a certain temperature.

I agree with that. coil burners are the way to go for lighting most coals. I use coconara's and it only takes about 5-6 minutes to get them red.

hahaha I'm not saying I wasn't scared plugging that thing in at first. I was the guinea pig for this burner...but once Andrew saw how well it worked, he went out and got one as well.

Guest MrMister

I think along with the burner I'm going to purchase a fire extinguisher. I tried to fire up a bowl last night using some Pharaoh QLs to no avail. Two red hot coals weren't enough to keep the bowl hotter more than 10-15 minutes! I hope the Exoticas can get me through this batch of shisha until I get some CN/CH coals next time. ACK!:mad:

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU! Anybody got any secrets for the MYA QT? Recommendations for my next hookah? Shisha?

yeah if I use QLs, I always stick to golden coals. I've never had a better experience with QLs than when using goldens...however nowadays I just stay away from QLs and go with CCNs.

As for your next hookah, what are you looking for in particular? A lot of personal preferences go into selecting a new hookah.

Guest MrMister

I've got one roll of Golden Coals left, a box of untouched Exoticas, and a box of Pharaoh QLs that are practically worthless so far. So I guess I'm going to use the Golden until they run out, go buy the coil hotplate and trash the Pharaohs. As far as the hookah goes, I want something sturdy, sexy, and somewhat affordable...I feel like I'm missing out with the QT.

Guest MrMister

Transitional perhaps. I know from reading that KM seem to be the hookah to beat, but nobody talks up MZ that much. Why is that?

Guest MrMister

UPDATE: I bought my GE hotplate this weekend at Wal-Mart for 19.99 for usage with my Exotica Square finger charcoals. I must say that the hype was real with naturals...I will NEVER go back to using quick lights. I can't wait to finish the Exoticas so I can try these Coconara's everyone seems to be raving about.

heh yep yep.

And yes typically KMs are the traditional hookahs to beat, but since I've never used or owned an MZ, I can't really say much negative about it. Realistically speaking, an Egyptian is an Egyptian, and if there is a brand attached to it, generally speaking, the quality will be decent. After all, those companies with a brand name have more to lose if they mess something up big time.

Also naturals are absolutely the way to go. I've been using CCNs for a while now and I've never looked back.

Guest MrMister

I think I'm going to go with the KM Anubis at H-S.com, I wish Nima had it here so I could spread the love around, alas he does not. :(