Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SmokeKagu

The best coals

Question

Guest SmokeKagu

I've tried many different types of coals. Generally speaking the only ones that I am truly happy with are the japanese style coal. They seem to have the least flavor penalty. I tried natural coals but they took so damn long to light it became a hassle with how much i smoke. Also if I wanted to stay lit it seemed like i had to overcook them.

That being said when I visited hookah company about 6 months ago I wanted to try new coals. Yet there are so many different types of coals out there that trying every single type would be way to costly. Also I had no idea where to begin.

So I'd like to start this thread with what in your opinion are the best coals and why. What are the drawbacks of each and pros as well?

For example: Lighting time, flavor penalty, cost, and how long they last when on the hookah.

:D

10 answers to this question

Although I understand the convenience of self-lighting coals, I'm still a big proponent of the natural ones. Here's why...

Cost - way cheaper

Health - we all know smoking isn't exactly healthy, but relatively, these are way better

Taste - Smoking lighter fluid vs. natural flavor. This is my main reason.

Convenience - yeah, the self-lighting ones are faster, but just throw a lot of natural ones on the stove, and you're good to go. it's not hard.

But that's just me. :D

I like the natural ones better too, but I use the fast burning ones when i rush

I'm thinking about switching over to nothing but natruals. I like the convience, but just the smell of the quick lighing coals is starting to make me sick to my stomach. They can't be good for you...

Edit:

One thing I will say about the natruals as well: They don't last near as long as the quick lights. But, I just bought a little portable coleman stove to help with that problem!

Guest jwjoe

But, I just bought a little portable coleman stove to help with that problem!

That’s exactly what I use to light my coals and It works great.

Guest Shishaling

Is the portable stove like one of those propane ones? Or do they make electric portable stoves?

Which brings me to another discussion point, what kind of stoves do you guys use to light your coals? We use an electric stove because we believe the gas stove has a negative impact on the taste, have you guys noticed that?

http://www.hookahcompany.com/easy_lite_hookah_coal_1723_prd1.htm

these are the coals we've been using for a while now and they're pretty solid, they don't smell bad and they don't seem to leave a taste.

I haven't really noticed a flavor, but going from quick lights, it is a world of a difference lol. So, that may be the problem. I don't know if coleman makes an electric stove or not. I kind of doubt it since it is a camping brand.

Were you looking for an electric that ran off of batteries, or just a single element electric stove?

I have heard a lot of good things about japanese coals, and I plan on buying some with my next online order. I could use some good quicklights for when I have to get the hookah ready quickly.

Guest SmokeKagu

right now i use japanese coals. i cant stand quick lights. so far theyre my favorite overall. when u try them post how u feel about them plz

There are such things as portable electrics. I don't know where you can find them, but my friend got one from a thrift store for like 3 dollars, and it's amazing.

Never tried Japanese coals.

Guest jayson
There are such things as portable electrics. I don't know where you can find them, but my friend got one from a thrift store for like 3 dollars, and it's amazing.

$9 hotplates from wal-mart work wonders. Not exactly "portable" because you do need a 110v outlet, but for $9 you really can't complain. That's what I use. Works great! But I do usually have to fashion some containment device for the coals, or else they become a mess.

Guest trapman

i just use quick lites, just get all the stuff offa it and it is fine