Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokerings07

My Lounge (Social Smoke Edition)

J have a keurig and the conversion cup works great. Itvis much cheaper and works much better than the cups with no real extra effort.

I'm all about using a French press for normal coffee or an ibrik for Turkish coffee. But, coffee is all about the flavor to me and I drink it relatively rarely so I don't mind the bit of extra effort.

Lol, I agree... I also enjoy a good Turkish coffee with my hookah :) But I am steering clear of any Middle Eastern influence in my lounge, and am helping integrate hookah into an American market.

I would love to do coffee right, but there are a couple reason why the Keurig. The coffee is not the highlight of the lounge... it's there as a very very extra option for people who want something hot to drink, and the cost per cup to me is $0.40 (same profit margin as most things sold). If I wanted to open a coffee shop I would do that instead, but that's not my passion. My passion is great hookah and that's what people will see when they come in to my hookah lounge. For people who like Keurig K-cups, it's there for them to have... for those that don't, I have tons of other drink options.

In addition to this, the state of Kentucky is looking to regulate smoking bans, and if food and beverage fall under this (which I am confident it will) Keurig must be exempt because there is virtually no preparation on the part of my company. Therefore, everything in my establishment will remain the same.

I don't know if you guys have been able to check up on the page, but a little update:

We've been open 3 weeks today and it has been crazy successful. Our seating cap is 50, and every week is better than the last. This past Friday and Saturday, every seat in the house was taken and Tuesday we had to start a wait list. It's been a lot of work though... 5x 12hr days a week. The good news is if sales continue the way they have, we can step back to working 4 days each and throw our 2 employees an extra shift. Next on the list of things to do is get an OTP permit for ordering Tangiers straight from the source, and pay off the little debt we have and we will be solid. The plan is to be ready to expand to Nashville in 2 years.

Just curious what was your total start up costs? If you don't mind my asking. A buddy of mine mentioned an interest in opening a small one here in central PA.

Thanks Kalutika! And I've seen the start-up range anywhere from 6k to 55k... It just depends on what you want to do with the space you find, and what products you want to carry.

Staus update:

Summer has had its ups and downs. We brought in a live DJ about 3 weeks ago and had extensive talks about the volume and what not. Well, he didnt listen and he wont be playing again but we did get a packed house several repeat customers out of him. We had a lockin about a month ago where people hung out from 2-7am smoking... Also a great success. Last week, we had our first live music, and it was an Irish band that did an amazing job. Everybody really enjoyed that. But thank goodness we are reaching the end of summer. Sales are picking up as people move back in to town for school. We also finally got approved by the state to buy Tangiers so we will be placing a sizeable order, and will also have the option to wholesale it in KY if we like. We recently started packing Tangiers flavors in alien phunnel bowls for the best smoke. Check out the facebook to see the latest pics.