Nima

How to make shisha tobacco at home

Question

I dunno, I haven't even had that thought cross my mind that I could happen. I will think about it whilst im am at work tonight.

Oh you are going back to work already? I thought you needed to rest for about a month or so. I'm just having all sorts of brain farts this morning. I'm not used to be up this early. LOL.. 

The only thing I can think of about the tobacco loosing its flavor is that we don't add any crap to it and without additives it might not last as long. After all the Banana batch was the one I made the most of and I don't smoke it every day which brings me back to my point of; since we are doing this naturally, isn't there a breaking point where the tobacco is going to start to grow mold because of the lack of additives and preservatives? Just wondering. 

Probably, and thats why we don't make as much, also I have had my knee worked on yet, so I have to keep grabbing the ot, cause it will be ending soon

• Like 1

Probably, and thats why we don't make as much, also I have had my knee worked on yet, so I have to keep grabbing the ot, cause it will be ending soon

Ah ok, I thought you had the surgery already. 

Mixing is done, I think it's doing well. Now it's baking time :) SO MUCH SHISHA

WHOA! that's definitely a big pack of Shisha. It actually looks bigger than the packs I make. 

• Like 1

WHOA! that's definitely a big pack of Shisha. It actually looks bigger than the packs I make.

thank you :) it's just sitting now, soaking up the flavors. I made Peppermint, Maple, and Some sort of vanilla coffee flavor.
  • Like 1

thank you :) it's just sitting now, soaking up the flavors. I made Peppermint, Maple, and Some sort of vanilla coffee flavor.

ummm maple. That sounds yummy. 

I'm patience so I wouldn't mind trying it, but I have an issue with putting it in the freezer. I always heard is not a good idea to even put it in the fridge. Doesn't that affect the consistency of the tobacco? 

well the point is to affect its consistency tho since its super wet it has to dry out a lil

• Like 1

i saw this and thought it would be interesting for yall: http://crayonbrains.hubpages.com/hub/Shishas-and-HookahsHomemade-recipes

or this which has inspired me a lot :http://white-horse-studio.com/pipe-makers-corner/shanakus-tried-and-true-5-star-reviewed-hookah-tobacco-recipe/ 

(and is almost the same as paul's technique but with a few changes...)

definitly read those articles , really helpful

Edited by alex in beijing
  • Like 1

well the point is to affect its consistency tho since its super wet it has to dry out a lil

Thanks, and I agree, sometimes it just comes out so wet that leaving it out and uncovered doesn't always make the tobacco absorb the juices or dry out. I'm definitely ope to trying that method. 

i saw this and thought it would be interesting for yall: http://crayonbrains.hubpages.com/hub/Shishas-and-HookahsHomemade-recipes

or this which has inspired me a lot :http://white-horse-studio.com/pipe-makers-corner/shanakus-tried-and-true-5-star-reviewed-hookah-tobacco-recipe/ 

(and is almost the same as paul's technique but with a few changes...)

definitly read those articles , really helpful

Thank you so much for sharing these links Alex, I bookmarked both of them because I'm sure I will be referring back to them in the future. Great articles. 

Anyone want to share their results?

I personally still haven't tried anything too intricate. Right now I'm up to using a vacuum sealer to seal the bags so that the tobacco really absorbs all the juices. So far that's working out great. 

I personally still haven't tried anything too intricate. Right now I'm up to using a vacuum sealer to seal the bags so that the tobacco really absorbs all the juices. So far that's working out great. 

yeah thats what companies do to package the tobacco right? i wish i could do it but i dont have the accessories for it  

• Like 1

yeah thats what companies do to package the tobacco right? i wish i could do it but i dont have the accessories for it  

yeah that's what most of them do. We have one because we buy our meats in bulk so I prepare them, section them, and vacuum bag it to put it in the freezer. It's only worth it when you buy food in bulk like we do. 

Hi guys,

I have been looking around and eager to get involved. I am going to look at making my own shisha flavour but I just have a few questions which I would like to work through.

now, in the video is say you can use either honey or molasses as your binder! I would like to know how you go about using the molasses which the molasses which I bought has such a strong taste that i feel that if I add this to my tobacco, it will totally over power any other flavours I put in there?? how can I go about using the molasses without the taste being ruined.

For my first test batch, I am looking to make an almond coffee flavour shisha. I have bought most of the things. I am just waiting for the virginia tobacco leaf to arrive.

I am using almond flavouring which already has Propylene Glycol in it to help with the smoke cloud. plus I will add in extra Glycerine.

• Like 1

You could make your own molasses. I usually just do that. Youtube has very simple recipes for that and you can get it almost unflavored, I don't like doing that because I'm a tangiers smoker. I like that heavy feel from dark molasses. Honey comes out A LOT smoother and sweeter, honey won't over power your leaves either as long as it's not a wildflower honey or something like that.

Given you are doing a darker flavor I think you can get away with just mixing in a bit of the molasses you have. acclimating it, add more flavor, and so forth.

Some of the best coffee flavors (I don't smoke them but I do read/watch reviews on them) come from modern molassal companies like othmani and social smoke as opposed to brands like starbuzz and haze that use honey as their binders.

• Like 1

There's a lot of talk on this thread about honey vs. molasses, and quantity of use and ratios, etc.  No one gets it right the first time, and there's no right or wrong method of making it perfect.  Start with small quantities and be patient.  And know you'll probably have to throw some away.

• Like 1

You could make your own molasses. I usually just do that. Youtube has very simple recipes for that and you can get it almost unflavored, I don't like doing that because I'm a tangiers smoker. I like that heavy feel from dark molasses. Honey comes out A LOT smoother and sweeter, honey won't over power your leaves either as long as it's not a wildflower honey or something like that.

Given you are doing a darker flavor I think you can get away with just mixing in a bit of the molasses you have. acclimating it, add more flavor, and so forth.

Some of the best coffee flavors (I don't smoke them but I do read/watch reviews on them) come from modern molassal companies like othmani and social smoke as opposed to brands like starbuzz and haze that use honey as their binders.

I'm with dude on this one. I've found that shisha I make with Honey holds the flavor better than when I use molases. Just make sure not to use too much or the shisha will be too wet to smoke well with even 4 cubes of coals. 

Othmani is a great brand that, in my opinion, makes the best coffee tasting shisha. I've had their Turkish Coffee and Baklava flavors and they are both spot on. 

There's a lot of talk on this thread about honey vs. molasses, and quantity of use and ratios, etc.  No one gets it right the first time, and there's no right or wrong method of making it perfect.  Start with small quantities and be patient.  And know you'll probably have to throw some away.

It definitely takes a few tries until you find the mix that you like. Also don't make a whole bunch because i've found that shisha I make myself loose the flavor after a few weeks if I don't smoke it all. 

yea i think i will probably stick with a honey binder as the molasses i have is just soo strong. My gut feeling is that im just going to waste the leaf by using it. honey will have a much a lighter flavour.

• Like 1