Nima

How to make shisha tobacco at home

Question

On January 21, 2016 at 9:36 PM, hookahmatt said:

It can be so tough. I have made a few batches. But only one was even kind of okay. I will stick to buying stuff I think lol.

LOL I hear ya man, but one never gets it right the first time. I've tried it numerous times with different measurements and to be honest only the first batch was meh. The rest of them have been very rewarding to me. Amazing taste and great clouds. 

Right now I have two batches almost ready to go, one is lemon and the other one is Strawberry, cherry and banana. 

Maybe you should do some kind of tutorial

Yeah I actually spoke to Nima about it and I'm working on that. I don't have the voice for videos but I'll keep practicing.

This is my first attempt at the video but I'm going to remake it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hookahmatt said:

This is awesome! I will keep up with your videos for sure, i really want to try to make my own again. Big thumbs up! Thanks

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe tomorrow after I shovel 3 feet of snow from my front door I'll attempt to make a new one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dd0723 said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe tomorrow after I shovel 3 feet of snow from my front door I'll attempt to make a new one.

whatever you do, just stay alive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dd0723 said: Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe tomorrow after I shovel 3 feet of snow from my front door I'll attempt to make a new one.

whatever you do, just stay alive.

Lol that was easier said than done. My body is killing me from all the shoveling I did yesterday and all I did was create a two foot wide path from the house to the driveway and clean out the long ass driveway. Lol. Hopefully tomorrow with 43 degree weather will help melt some of this mess so I can get to my garbage canister. Oy vey.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm trying to figure how much tombac I need. 250 grams? 300?

Welcome to our forums.

When I make mine I usually grab about 300 because you loose some as you drain the water to put in fresh water when washing it.

• Like 1

I loved reading all the post! I made my first batch of shisha last night i made a 8 ounce bag of the same pipe tobacco i use to roll my cigarettes with and diveded it into 8 small containers for different flavors. They smell so good i used Lorann oils for ecigs. Im trying to hold out for a couple of weeks....

• Like 3

I loved reading all the post! I made my first batch of shisha last night i made a 8 ounce bag of the same pipe tobacco i use to roll my cigarettes with and diveded it into 8 small containers for different flavors. They smell so good i used Lorann oils for ecigs. Im trying to hold out for a couple of weeks....

Oh nice. Loraine's oils are the best for flavors. Do keep us posted, I'm very intrigued about your results.

Welcome to our forums and glad to see you in here. Feel free to ask any questions, we don't judge here.

• Like 2

So i couldn't wait a week i tried the "wifey" that i made its delicious nice strong flavor big clouds great buzz. Very pleased with myself for it being my first time. If a friend loaded it up i wouldn't know the difference of homemade or store bought i don't think

• Like 3

Congrats! There's usually a lot of trial and error for a lot of people that try it. My first try wasn't bad at all but it's just getting better and better as I keep making it.

• Like 1

i tried this myself in multiple ways think I'm going to stick to the brands already out there ahaha not for me cool forum though!

Lol. Thanks bro. It's not for everybody and it takes a lot of trial and error but it's great when you find that one recipe that works wonders.

I have some lemon shisha that I made and it's amazing.

• Like 1

On 20 января 2016 г. at 0:25 AM, dd0723 said:

Hey Alex, I think the issue from what I'm finding out is the length of time you leave the flavor in the tobacco. I was having the same issue with the tobacco undertone, but I think I've solved it in this batch I'm making right now.

I've been letting the tobacco sit in water for a very long time and making sure I change the water every 30 minutes or as often as I can. Once the water is running pretty clear, then I add the flavor and honey or molasses and just let it sit there with the flavor for at least 48 hours. After I let the flavors soak into the leafs, THEN I cook it for about 2 hours at 150. I'm lucky that the stove we have now goes below 200.

Then I let it sit for another 2 days or so making sure that I mix the tobacco with my hand every now and then. So far so good and the smell of tobacco is completely gone. I just have to smoke out of the new batch to see if I was successful.

Thanks for your reply and tutorial, but the baking is still open question, I guess that smaller batch - the shorter time of baking, now i'm trying to bake 50g of tobacco and not more than 30 min 150 degrees. And have you thought about color of your tobacco? For example the tangiers has dark color and high nicotine and no any specific tobacco taste instead of my experience that i have to wash tobacco a few times to make less this tobacco taste... 

Concerning your video, what kind of tobacco did you use? How strong tobacco you got? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Thanks for your reply and tutorial, but the baking is still open question, I guess that smaller batch - the shorter time of baking, now i'm trying to bake 50g of tobacco and not more than 30 min 150 degrees. And have you thought about color of your tobacco? For example the tangiers has dark color and high nicotine and no any specific tobacco taste instead of my experience that i have to wash tobacco a few times to make less this tobacco taste... 

Concerning your video, what kind of tobacco did you use? How strong tobacco you got? 

I never thought about adding any color to it at all. I want to keep it as straight forward as I possibly can. I know that the more I wash it the lighter it gets until I cook it and add either molasses or honey. Of course if I add molasses it's going to get darker, but I rather stay away from any dyes.
The tobacco I'm using right now is "Hombre" premium tobacco I picked up when I was in North Carolina. I picked up medium and original to try both. So far I've only used the medium because I feel the original will have too much nicotine that I won't be able to wash off.
I like to wash it well so there's no tobacco undertone when I smoke it, but there always seem to be just a hint of it that I still haven't been able to wash away. However I'm getting better at it and my last batch of lemon flavor has come out really tasty.

On 20 января 2016 г. at 0:25 AM, dd0723 said:

Hey Alex, I think the issue from what I'm finding out is the length of time you leave the flavor in the tobacco. I was having the same issue with the tobacco undertone, but I think I've solved it in this batch I'm making right now.

I've been letting the tobacco sit in water for a very long time and making sure I change the water every 30 minutes or as often as I can. Once the water is running pretty clear, then I add the flavor and honey or molasses and just let it sit there with the flavor for at least 48 hours. After I let the flavors soak into the leafs, THEN I cook it for about 2 hours at 150. I'm lucky that the stove we have now goes below 200.

Then I let it sit for another 2 days or so making sure that I mix the tobacco with my hand every now and then. So far so good and the smell of tobacco is completely gone. I just have to smoke out of the new batch to see if I was successful.

Hello! 

Did you put flavor and molasses after baking? Usually i've making next steps: 1) Boiling 2) Honey + baking 3) Flavor + glycerin 

Concerning your suggestions, i've spent 2 time for cleaning batch of tobacco )) i've changed water every hour :) Will see 

• Like 1

I bake it with the flavor and molasses/honey in and the when it's done I add the glycerine. Then I just let it sit for about a week or so making sure I mix it every day.

Okay folks, after about 7 fails at this, I finally made great homemade shisha with awesome cloud production and good taste. I built an in home lab. Here are my results. First to the guy who said never use water on tobacco leaves, kudos to you because that is absolutely correct. You should use a flue cured leaf with low nicotine content and a light profile. I'm currently using 2 leafs in my blend, a Virginia lemon, and Canadian bright leaf. If you absolutely have to wash your leaves, let them dry COMPLETELY first. This makes them very fragile. So be very careful. Second I never use processed tobacco products. No pipe tobacco, cigar etc. Organic leaves is your best bet. I would NOT use tombac leaves without a quick wash. This tobacco is extremely strong and has not been cured. Next step is to work on casing. I use equal parts honey, molasses, sugar, veggie glycerin. Usually 10 grams of each. I have a heated mixing bowl which comes in handy in making the casing more liquidy. I mix my casing at about 175 degrees until the sugar dissolves in the mix. Very important, to remove the spine from the leaves. Please use gloves. Do a rough chop on the leaves, because the mixer with make the cut of the tobacco even smaller. Especially if you are using washed / dried leaves. You want this mix to be kind of dry. Casing ingredients absorb moisture from the air and change the look and feel of leaves. So add a little bit of leaves at a time until you mix looks a little pastie. I then take this mix and put it in a zip lock bag. Store in a warm moist environment. After about 4 weeks, your leaves will ferment,  and become a dark brown color. The mix will be quite dry, but you will notice that the leaves has infused with the casing. If you look at the pros products and how the leaves look, you will see they are somewhat transparent and gooey. Now you are ready for the next step, flavoring. Be careful with flavors because alcohol based flavors can ruin your mix, and propylene glycol flavors can give your shisha too much throat hit. Weigh your mix. What ever it weighs use about 10 percent of that to make flavor. Let alcohol flavors breath first to get rid of some of alcohol content. Here's a good tip, if you DO NOT want your shisha to taste like soap, flavor the veggie glycerin and let it steep for a few days before adding it your shisha. Add a base flavor to your glycerin. So let's say you like Butter cream rum flavor, the butter cream is your base and the rum is secondary. When flavoring always follow your nose. It usually smokes like what it smells like. Always flavor AFTER your tobacco has fermented, never before. You will loose significant flavor. This extra veggie glycerin based flavor will give you the cloud production you want without the soap taste and harsh throat hit. This flavoring process should give your shisha a wet look. Make sure its not too wet or it will turn into soup in your bowl and will be hell to clean out of the stem. I recommend using pipettes for flavoring. After you mixed a good flavor, at your cased tobacco and zip lock it. To preserve flavor pull out a mason jar and toss your zip lock bag in. Store in a dark dry place for a week or more. Give your shisha a whiff, make sure you smell the flavor. Finally you are ready to smoke. I've done this, 3 times now and each batch keeps getting better. No water no oven necessary. If you guys want pics or vids, i'd be happy to oblige. Happy smoking folks! 

hi all, ive had several attempts at this process and the outcome is usually decent smoke, lasts long, everything is good except for no flavor! i used spearmint flavor from the flavor apprentice (tfa), ive read those are the best for shisha purpose. are lorann oils that good? plus i need something available in bulk bc i plan to turn this into a company thank you