Nima

How to make shisha tobacco at home

Question

I added a small bit of maraschino cherry juice for flavor after I cooked the tobacco that was soaked in tart cherry juice. It smells more like cherry pipe tobacco than cherry hookah tobacco.

So far I have tried the boiled. I flavored it with coffee and caramel. The flavor was light, but nice. The smoke was super thin, but this was right after it was baked.

We also tried the washed which was flavored with orange and chocolate. The tobacco flavor was stronger (since it was only washed off). The smoke is still thin.

I need to work on the ratio of tobacco to honey to glycerin.

There is more than enough tobacco left over to play with so I will keep experimenting. As it stands right now, nothing that I have made will replace commercial shisha. I have hope that that will change.

I didnt think about the thin smoke issue. I think if we made our own the smoke and flavor would be the biggest things for us

Sent from my C5155 using Hookah.org mobile app

We added a lot of glycerin. We played with one bowl. We add more glycerin, got better smoke, but the flavor suffered, added more flavoring, and it tasted better, but the smoke suffered. I don’t think my Bakto Flavors are the best. Maybe I added to much honey?

Personally I’m not happy with shisha unless it has great flavor and great smoke. It’s just my personal preference.

I smoke just for the taste and the smoke clouds. The high is just secondary. Its a nice perk.

Sent from my C5155 using Hookah.org mobile app

We added a lot of glycerin. We played with one bowl. We add more glycerin, got better smoke, but the flavor suffered, added more flavoring, and it tasted better, but the smoke suffered. I don’t think my Bakto Flavors are the best. Maybe I added to much honey?

Personally I’m not happy with shisha unless it has great flavor and great smoke. It’s just my personal preference.

Maybe you didn't wait long enough for the tobacco to absorb them both

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

Maybe you didn't wait long enough for the tobacco to absorb them both

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

That’s what I’m hoping. It was pretty juicy. So it is just hanging out right now. I may try it tonight, or I may let it wait for a few more days. See how I’m feeling when I get home. I’ll post some pictures the next time I smoke it.

That’s what I’m hoping. It was pretty juicy. So it is just hanging out right now. I may try it tonight, or I may let it wait for a few more days. See how I’m feeling when I get home. I’ll post some pictures the next time I smoke it.

Yeah I thought Paul said in the video that the ideal wait time was a week to let the flavors mix with the leaves. Also did you use molasses or just honey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

try the cherry tobacco tonight the smoke was good but I don't like a flavor to me it tasted more like almost cherry pipe tobacco instead of good shisha tobacco. It almost reminds me of smoking a cigarette more than anything actually.

Sent from my N9810 using Hookah.org mobile app

I saw something that I'm curious about so I'm posing it here to see what you guys think. The people over at Fumo make steam stones in addition to the glass hookahs, I've had 2 of the flavors and they are pretty good. They use vegetable glycerine and flavorings to make them. Now they have released bottles of just the glycerine/flavoring juice, meant to be used to refill your steam stones when you run out. But I'm wondering if this could be used to make your own shisha.

I'm thinking it would be the same process except you would use this instead of glycerine and flavorings. I think you would still need to add honey though. But it would help by taking out the guess work of the glycerine to flavoring ratio. What do you guys think? It comes in a few flavors so far but they will probably add more.

Here is where you can see them, not much info though - http://www.fumodesign.com/shishaflavors.php?opt=77

Edited by HookahHooligan

So im ready! Today I got the rest of the stuff I needed to start making my own shisha. I picked up some glycerine and some flavoring. I got 3 flavors to start with; banana, cherry, and star anise. Sorry about that last one but I do love some anise, I grew up eating anise candy and love anise alcoholic drinks.

I want to start tonight but I think I should write down a game plan first. I should also watch Paul's video one more time just to be safe, and im even thinking of recording the whole process to make a video out of it.

Im not going to measure it, im just going to grab a small handful of tobacco and go from there. Any last tips or suggestions before I get started?

post-9346-0-56700900-1412043076_thumb.jp

Is that glycerin food safe? I forget if it needs to be the vegetable kind or not.

yeah I made sure to ask them if it was Vegetable glycerin and they said yes, but they also said that's the only one they had. If I get poisoned then we will not is not safe to use that one. HAHAHAHA.

Have you started yet? If so, how does it look?

That bottle of glycerin looks just like the kind I get but it looks like it has a different cap. My cap just comes off so it pours out. So I cut a hole in the cap and slide in a dropper. 

I haven't started yet, I had a filming gig for a small business today and just got home a bit ago, but I'm ready to start. I wanted to wait a bit to see if anybody had any tips or recommendations before I got started. I figured I would work with the mild so I don't have to wash it and just jump right on it.

The bottle of glycerine I have it has a popup dropper on the cap to make it easier to just use a few drops.

Ok. Without further ado, im going to go get started. Wish me luck.

So I decided to use the "mellow" tobacco because I thought I was going to have wash it less, but I'm going to wash it good because the water is really, really brown. 

Also I've come to the conclusion that since It was ready to smoke pipe tobacco, the shisha is going to come out very choppy almost like Othmani which I don't mind. The thing is that I have 2 pounds of the stuff. HAHAHAHA. I think I'm going to make cherry first :)

post-9346-0-40722900-1412138655_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-88522600-1412138666_thumb.jp

Edited by dd0723

So I take that back about the choppy tobacco. It seems that pipe tobacco is just perfect for shisha making. I washed the tobacco only 3 times because I didn't want all of the tobacco flavor or nicotine strength completely gone. 

I used Molasses instead of honey because I want it really sweet. I used 3:1 ratio of teaspoons of molasses to water and it now has the consistency of a very wet and sticky tobacco. Almost the same wet consistency of the Voodoo shisha that I love so much, and it smells AMAZING!!!!!!. Not only that but it not is really starting to look like modern shisha and I'm excited about that. 

So now the pack is in foil and in the oven cooking with only 30 more minutes left before I add flavors and glycerin. Unfortunately I don't have a kitchen scale but it looks like about 150 grams of tobacco. 

What do you think so far? 

post-9346-0-39716200-1412145218_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-15301000-1412145236_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-71985800-1412145263_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-19903000-1412145279_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-60023000-1412145301_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-71560600-1412145313_thumb.jp

lookin great! the fact it's pipe tobacco will mean it won't end up looking like nakhla (with tree trunks in the tobacco and such). I'm excited to hear how it turns out.

• Like 1

lookin great! the fact it's pipe tobacco will mean it won't end up looking like nakhla (with tree trunks in the tobacco and such). I'm excited to hear how it turns out.

Yeah I didn't want tree trunks in the tobacco and only found one or two while I was washing it. I also didn't want it to look exactly like Othmani, so I'm excited about the way it's looking.

Yea I can't wait to hear how this turns out, that cut will make packing bowls super easy too. 

Definitely! and it will only be used with a funnel because it's so wet. I just checked it now and most of the liquid that was lingering around in the container has been absorbed by the tobacco.

Not sure if I should try it tonight or just let it sit for a few more days.

Yeah I didn't want tree trunks in the tobacco and only found one or two while I was washing it. I also didn't want it to look exactly like Othmani, so I'm excited about the way it's looking.

Definitely! and it will only be used with a funnel because it's so wet. I just checked it now and most of the liquid that was lingering around in the container has been absorbed by the tobacco.

Not sure if I should try it tonight or just let it sit for a few more days.

Do you have a small phunnel? If so I say give it a shot. Then depending on how it smokes let it sit or not
  • Like 1

so in continuation with the play-by-play; I added six teaspoons of cherry flavoring to the tobacco last night. It smells good, but I'm concerned that it will come out tasting too artificial when I smoke it because that's how it smells right now, very candied and very artificial which is to be expected from an imitation cherry flavoring. Adding two teaspoons of glycerine made that artificial smell even stronger, and I'm thinking that maybe two teaspoons of glycerin might have been too much. The glycerin really changed the smell of the tobacco.

I also decided to get creative and added two teaspoons of vanilla extract to the mix just to see what happens. The smell so far is not too bad, but I really wish I would added less glycerin if it was going to change the smell.

I guess the real test is when I smoke it and see how it comes out.

Do you have a small phunnel? If so I say give it a shot. Then depending on how it smokes let it sit or not

My funnel is not small per se, but it does hold much less tobacco than say my vortex. I'm thinking that I can put enough tobacco in the bowl for only one round of coals just to try it out and see if it needs to sit longer or I need to modify the recipe. I'm really excited about this. 

I know you baked it on low heat in the oven at first - now that you've added the flavorings, maybe you could try that again to see if it'll dull it down a bit?

otherwise, I'd leave it out and exposed to the air for a few days before trying it.

remember, you can always add more tobacco if the flavor is too strong.

by the way... I know vape liquid is made with propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. I wonder if a bottle of that could be used instead of flavorings...

• Like 1