Nima

How to make shisha tobacco at home

Question

I know you baked it on low heat in the oven at first - now that you've added the flavorings, maybe you could try that again to see if it'll dull it down a bit?

otherwise, I'd leave it out and exposed to the air for a few days before trying it.

remember, you can always add more tobacco if the flavor is too strong.

by the way... I know vape liquid is made with propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. I wonder if a bottle of that could be used instead of flavorings...

I've been wondering that too, I'm sure straight VG e liquid would work fine but Im not sure if it would be strong enough after being mixed with the tobacco. 

I know you baked it on low heat in the oven at first - now that you've added the flavorings, maybe you could try that again to see if it'll dull it down a bit?

otherwise, I'd leave it out and exposed to the air for a few days before trying it.

remember, you can always add more tobacco if the flavor is too strong.

by the way... I know vape liquid is made with propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. I wonder if a bottle of that could be used instead of flavorings...

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can always add more tobacco if the flavor is too strong. Also I have plenty of tobacco to test the waters and just make small batches at a time.

I've left the canister open for quite a few hours now and the kitchen smells oh sooooo good. Just like cherry. The rest of the juices have been absorbed by the tobacco so now is not as wet as the voodoo shisha but still very wet and juicy and the smell has mellowed out.

I was also thinking what would be the repercussions of using vape liquid as well but doesn't it contain alcohol?

Anyway, I think I'm going to try a little bit of my creation in a little bit just to see how it tastes so far and what not. I'll definitely let you guys know.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can always add more tobacco if the flavor is too strong. Also I have plenty of tobacco to test the waters and just make small batches at a time.

I've left the canister open for quite a few hours now and the kitchen smells oh sooooo good. Just like cherry. The rest of the juices have been absorbed by the tobacco so now is not as wet as the voodoo shisha but still very wet and juicy and the smell has mellowed out.

I was also thinking what would be the repercussions of using vape liquid as well but doesn't it contain alcohol?

Anyway, I think I'm going to try a little bit of my creation in a little bit just to see how it tastes so far and what not. I'll definitely let you guys know.

Unless you buy off-brand ejuice, it shouldn't contain anything but VG, PG, and flavorings.

• Like 1

I think if it had PG it would get harsh too easily. If it were me I would stick to straight VG or a low amount of PG. I still need to find some good tobacco to try but I'm willing to try a batch with this method when I do. :)

• Like 1

So here's my take on my first batch:

It's VERY heat resilient; on the second round of coals I used 4 AND the wind cover and it didn't burn at all. No tickle in the back of the throat, no burn taste or burn smell, so very heat resilient. 

The clouds did get better as the session went on, but not as large as other people would have liked. The clouds are really not my thing, but I've gotten very used to them and now I want them really big.

The flavor lasted 1:43 minutes and all the way till the end of the second round of coals. I'm thinking of maybe try a 3rd round to see if it burns.

Smells pretty, the whole apartment smells of cherry right now when I got up to go get a drink.

The taste is a bit weak, but I can fix that by adding more cherry extract.

I will need to add more glycerin for bigger clouds but I'm afraid that it will mess with the flavor even more. Maybe by trying different brands of glycerin and extracts I can much different results.

That's it for now, I'll keep tweaking it and letting you know my results.

What about trying out measured amounts - an amount for an individual bowl, perhaps - and adding VG and flavoring on a per-bowl basis?  I would guess you'd probably want to let it soak for a while before going at it.  But, if you can measure the amount of the tobacco and how much additional you added to it, you could easily replicate those results on a larger scale.

• Like 1

What about trying out measured amounts - an amount for an individual bowl, perhaps - and adding VG and flavoring on a per-bowl basis?  I would guess you'd probably want to let it soak for a while before going at it.  But, if you can measure the amount of the tobacco and how much additional you added to it, you could easily replicate those results on a larger scale.

Yeah I'm definitely measuring my next batch instead of eye balling it. Im still pretty impressed with myself about this first batch. Not half as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I added more extract and VG at a ratio of 2:1 and im just going to let it sit for a few days before trying it again. I have everything I did written down so I can reference it when I do the second batch.

Not sure if I should start a sub-category or just keep going in here, but earlier today I started washing a new batch of pipe tobacco to make some hookah shisha. This time I'm doing honey and banana flavor. wish me luck.

Also I transferred the cherry batch to a small container and it looks about 100g which was a handful of tobacco. This time I took 2 handfuls which should amount to about 200g of tobacco. You loose a gram or two when you are washing it because its just tiny little scraps that go down the drain.

I'll keep you guys posted on this one as well.

Nah, keep it here dd.  It's nice to have all the knowledge in one place.  I'm going to do this to some old, dried out cigars sometime in my lifetime, so this will be a nice reference.

• Like 1

Nah, keep it here dd.  It's nice to have all the knowledge in one place.  I'm going to do this to some old, dried out cigars sometime in my lifetime, so this will be a nice reference.

Sounds good to me, I'll keep it here. It's definitely a lot of fun to play around with making my own hookah tobacco.

So this second batch I washed it a lot. I took it out of the oven a while ago and  is now ready to get the flavoring and glycerin. I hope it comes out tasting like good bananas. 

post-9346-0-50950600-1412879455_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-78003800-1412879464_thumb.jp

Working with honey is sooooo different than with molasses. The tobacco is not as sticky and the smell doesn't permeate like molasses does. After all the washing, this batch still smelled a bit of tobacco until I added the banana. 

I have a very strong feeling that the molasses had a lot to do with the weak cherry flavor in the first batch. 

Oh well, practice makes perfect, Right? 

post-9346-0-78290300-1412883160_thumb.jp

You should try a batch with both molasses and honey

YES!!!! my next batch will definitely have both honey and molasses just to see how it comes out. 

I do have to say that I like what honey does to the tobacco. You might not be able to tell in the pictures, but compared to the last batch, this one is definitely much lighter and easier to work with. The flavor is also super strong, so I hope I didn't over do it with the banana extract. I put a whole ounce in there. :) :) like I said before, I like it sweet. 

Ok, so my first ever batch of "my own brand bitch" root beer is done. Now the hardest part of all, waiting till sunday morning after work.to try ot out

• Like 1

I used 2 drams of flavoring, one didnt seem to give me any smell what so ever, its only honey, no molasses, and 2 teaspoons of glycerin. I wont be able to test it till sunday as I said before, but will let yall know how it goes, oh and I used a half a cap full of our homemade vanilla

• Like 1

Looking awesome! What kind of flavoring did you use for root beer?

I used some lorann root beer flavoring, I hope it smokes as good as it looks,

• Like 1

Hopefully something with sassafras

I was thinking that as well.

I used some lorann root beer flavoring, I hope it smokes as good as it looks,

I've heard good things about their flavorings. They are great for baking I know that much haha

• Like 1

Here are some pics I took during the process

Still one or two more yet

That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear how it all works out for you. 

I used 2 drams of flavoring, one didnt seem to give me any smell what so ever, its only honey, no molasses, and 2 teaspoons of glycerin. I wont be able to test it till sunday as I said before, but will let yall know how it goes, oh and I used a half a cap full of our homemade vanilla

wow that much? that's a small bottle of flavoring righ? 7.5ml? 

I used 1oz of the banana flavor and every time I open the container to mix the tobacco juices the whole kitchen smells of bananas. The taste will be another matter entirely. 

on 200g of tobacco I'm not sure if 2 teaspoons of glycerin will get the results that you want. I had to add much more after that on the 100g batch so on the banana one I added 3 tablespoons of it but I can add more as needed.