Nima

Smoking Right Now Thread

Question

If you're ever smoking a hookah and browsing the forum at the same time, stop by here and post what flavor/brand/mix you're smoking.

Edited by Nima
  • Like 1

Doug, I have a question, and I hope it doesnt.border on sacrilege. But do people ever mix tangiers with say a social smoke or other brands

GAH, yes.  The same local lounge that I was going to go to that I found out uses quick lights with Tangiers...

They mix it with Starbuzz.

I don't really understand how that's even possible.  Because of how you have to pack it... I feel like any other brand is going to be either snuffed out or burnt, or if you loosely pack Tangiers, the Tangiers is going to taste burned.

attachicon.gifafzal_panrasna.jpg

This is what I'm referring to, this was the original packaging for the pan raas everyone know's now 

I have still seen both packaging of Afzal in Durban. I just thought they were different lines.

I honestly can't say though. I only started smoking hookah this year and discovered Pan Raas a month ago.

Last night I tried something new. After watching some videos online I wondered why my clouds are nowhere near as thick as those in the videos. To an extent the hookah used makes a difference. But not all the difference. I have a decent quality egyptian, and not a cheap chinese piece of junk. 

So I increased the heat in my session. Went from 2 coals to 3. And from 2 layers of foil to 1. I put a coil made of foil in the bowl though to minimise the shisha being scorched by the coals. 

The smoke increased dramatically, however I found that the shisha burnt a lot quicker. Im not sure if there is just too much heat, or just the brand (it was Amaren, which I have found to burn faster than other brands before). Also, I couldnt take as long a draw as normal as the smoke was warmer. I had ice in the base. 

What can I do to cool the smoke further? My thought was to get a bigger base. This would allow me to fill more water as well as increase the holding space for smoke.

Thoughts?

Last night I tried something new. After watching some videos online I wondered why my clouds are nowhere near as thick as those in the videos. To an extent the hookah used makes a difference. But not all the difference. I have a decent quality egyptian, and not a cheap chinese piece of junk.

So I increased the heat in my session. Went from 2 coals to 3. And from 2 layers of foil to 1. I put a coil made of foil in the bowl though to minimise the shisha being scorched by the coals.

The smoke increased dramatically, however I found that the shisha burnt a lot quicker. Im not sure if there is just too much heat, or just the brand (it was Amaren, which I have found to burn faster than other brands before). Also, I couldnt take as long a draw as normal as the smoke was warmer. I had ice in the base.

What can I do to cool the smoke further? My thought was to get a bigger base. This would allow me to fill more water as well as increase the holding space for smoke.

Thoughts?

a bigger base is only going to cool down burnt shisha. that's no good because you're masking the burnt tobacco by cooling it down. it's a matter of heat management.

try splitting a coal in half and using 2 1/2. I'd recommend still staying with double layers of foil unless you're using heavy duty. you might could try packing your bowl just ever-so-slightly less.

you can also have your coals sitting off the edge just a bit. you don't need direct heat - you want the bowl to be hot and "baking" the tobacco, not burning it.

other improvements would include actual upgrades, like a wider diameter hose (less restriction) or a new bowl, like a phunnel-style bowl (holds the juice in longer = more vapor).

• Like 1

)

Thoughts?

thats why heat management techniqques exists ,what i do is adding the third coal after 30 mins into the sesh, that way u get two medium sized coals and a big one and it should give u good clouds all the way if  it does get harsh, two reasons, two much heat, get ur coals on the edge of the bowl,or get one of em off the bowl, or maybe ur shish is burning,(if ur outside and ur coals arent protected by a windcover, it will burn unless its not windy, wind blowing on coals, will not let them cool off) flavor savor or doubling the foil layer will work for that too, ive had big bases that smoke as good as small ones.

Edited by alex in beijing
  • Like 1

GAH, yes. The same local lounge that I was going to go to that I found out uses quick lights with Tangiers...

They mix it with Starbuzz.

I don't really understand how that's even possible. Because of how you have to pack it... I feel like any other brand is going to be either snuffed out or burnt, or if you loosely pack Tangiers, the Tangiers is going to taste burned.

I was reading about this on the hookah enthusiasts fb group. A lot of them mix tangiers with other brands and have good success. It seems like it just needs to be paired with a brand that Also likes a semi dense pack like haze or something similar.

I wouldn't want to waste the tobacco trying it but I'm sure its possible with enough experimenting.

• Like 1

according to eric of tangiers you are only adulterating the flavor by mixing it with other tobacco. hahaha his words exactly.

He says a lot of strange things though lol

Im giving this Hookafina root beer float another try, this time mixing it with pure vanilla to try and tone down how heat sensitive it is. Hopefully it works. 

• Like 1

I'm smoking a mix of Nakhla mint and raspberry. Only have a few coals left so no more smoking until I make a run tomorrow

• Like 1

Im giving this Hookafina root beer float another try, this time mixing it with pure vanilla to try and tone down how heat sensitive it is. Hopefully it works.

That he does. Lol

Good luck! I remember the day I threw it out

• Like 1

That he does. Lol

Good luck! I remember the day I threw it out

It helped a little, but its still really touchy. I won't ever throw tobacco out, I always find a way to make it smokable or use it up in the process lol

• Like 1

Maybe so... but the guy's brilliant.  He's got a college degree in chemistry or something crazy like that (I dunno what it was exactly), so he knows what he's talking about.  And I'd have to agree that mixing something like Tangiers with... well... really any other brand probably isn't going to yield good results.  I haven't tried it personally, but it makes sense that it wouldn't.  Hmm... challenge accepted!  Maybe.

I'm smoking a mix of Nakhla mint and raspberry. Only have a few coals left so no more smoking until I make a run tomorrow

The dreaded "out of coals" dance.  I hate that one.  I've gotten in the habit of ordering a bulk amount of coals (3 kilos or so), then when I hit my last bag, ordering another bulk amount.

---

Smoking Tangiers Orange Soda with a touch of Tangiers Kashmir.

• Like 1

Maybe so... but the guy's brilliant. He's got a college degree in chemistry or something crazy like that (I dunno what it was exactly), so he knows what he's talking about. And I'd have to agree that mixing something like Tangiers with... well... really any other brand probably isn't going to yield good results. I haven't tried it personally, but it makes sense that it wouldn't. Hmm... challenge accepted! Maybe.

The dreaded "out of coals" dance. I hate that one. I've gotten in the habit of ordering a bulk amount of coals (3 kilos or so), then when I hit my last bag, ordering another bulk amount.

---

Smoking Tangiers Orange Soda with a touch of Tangiers Kashmir.

I don't doubt you there. He's created an amazing line of tobacco. But his way isn't the only way.

• Like 1

I just did some quick research (Google).  I found this post over on the black hole of the internet (a.k.a. Reddit): http://www.reddit.com/r/hookah/comments/2oku80/mixing_tangiers/

There's a few people that have success "mixing" Tangiers with other brands.  It looks like the common denominator is to pack them side-by-side, and not make a direct mix of them, which is actually pretty smart.  I just wonder if, using this method, the flavor of the other brand would die out too fast.

I found another post over on hookahpro where some guy packs Tangiers at the bottom of the bowl, and Nak on top.  The first round of coals is very Nakhla, and the second round hits the Tangiers.  Seems interesting in that your flavor would actually change over the course of a bowl.

• Like 1

Well let me explain the reason I asked in the first place. I do love tje flavor of the lemon blossom. But I think it would really be a home run with just a hint, a very tiny hint of mint. I dont have any tangiers noir mint, so I was just gonna use what I had on hand

• Like 1

Sorry that I've been a bit absent, I'm still smoking but been busy taking care of some things and the gf got out of invasive surgery today, so I'm making sure that she's not exerting herself doing something crazy. She's supposed to be resting in bed but she keeps getting out of bed every 15 minutes and likes to walk around. We are not tiny people, if she falls and I'm asleep she's on her own LOL. Needless to say I'm tired. So I'm grabbing these next 15 minutes and I'm smoking a mix of Voodoo sinful strawberry and Jewels mimosa. Can't wait for things to get back to some sort of normalcy so that I can get on here every night again :) 

My heat management techniques are on point I believe. I usually start a session with 2 coals and add the 3rd when the others get smaller. my mistake last time was removing the 2nd foil. 

Unfortunately I cannot find a funnel bowl anywhere, or any other bowl besides the type that comes with the hookahs here (plain bowl with a few holes in the bottom). I have tried everywhere in Durban. My usual smoke shop is owned by Egyptian guys. I will have to try get them to bring in different bowls for me.

• Like 1

Sorry that I've been a bit absent, I'm still smoking but been busy taking care of some things and the gf got out of invasive surgery today, so I'm making sure that she's not exerting herself doing something crazy. She's supposed to be resting in bed but she keeps getting out of bed every 15 minutes and likes to walk around. We are not tiny people, if she falls and I'm asleep she's on her own LOL. Needless to say I'm tired. So I'm grabbing these next 15 minutes and I'm smoking a mix of Voodoo sinful strawberry and Jewels mimosa. Can't wait for things to get back to some sort of normalcy so that I can get on here every night again :)

Yeech.  Hope she gets better soon.  Either way, hookah.org is awesome and all, but it's just an online forum.  We'll miss you, but friends and family are more important than a bunch of slubs smoking molasses.  :)

My heat management techniques are on point I believe. I usually start a session with 2 coals and add the 3rd when the others get smaller. my mistake last time was removing the 2nd foil. 

Unfortunately I cannot find a funnel bowl anywhere, or any other bowl besides the type that comes with the hookahs here (plain bowl with a few holes in the bottom). I have tried everywhere in Durban. My usual smoke shop is owned by Egyptian guys. I will have to try get them to bring in different bowls for me.

I might would recommend checking out some online vendors.  Since you're in SA, I know shipping costs won't be ideal for most sellers, but maybe there's a site out there that is actually based out of SA.  I know hookah-shisha.com ships there, but I'm guessing rates, duties, taxes... probably wouldn't be worth it.  The other big problem is most of the really good phunnel bowls (such as the Tangiers bowls, the Alien Mini, and the Harmony) are all made in the US.

---

Smoking out of the Harmony tonight.  It's gonna be a long night.  Tangiers Apple + Tangiers Kashmir.

• Like 1

Yeah,shipping to SA is a problem. Cost wise it oftens works out really expensive. And our postal service is useless. 

Anyways, I'll make do with what i have. Looking forward to smoking a bowl tonight. It's my turn to cook, so I will be smoking a bowl while I cook. Then off to gym.

• Like 1

Going to load up a bowl of AF citrus with mint in a minute. I haven't smoked AF out of my egyptian clay bowl in a while so I think i will do that.

Then I'm off to play some Defiance, like always.

• Like 1

Going to load up a bowl of AF citrus with mint in a minute. I haven't smoked AF out of my egyptian clay bowl in a while so I think i will do that.

Then I'm off to play some Defiance, like always.

I smoked the same last night. It's finished now though.