dd0723

Latest Shisha Order Thread

Question

Well I figured that I would start my own thread on this for two reason. 1. to get everybody talking about what they ordered recently, and 2. Because I changed my order from hookahset.com to medwakh.com.

I needed to order coals so I I figured I would try new stuff. I placed an order at Medwakh.com for a kilo of coco Jamra's, a tin each of Othmani baklava, Turkish coffee and double apple because I'm still searching for that great double apple that tastes strongly like star anise, but not like black licorice. I know it's out there because that was my first shisha, but they don't sell it here in the states. Anyway I digress.

The Good:

Placing the order with medwakh.com was awesome and when you click on their link to facebook, a 10% discount gets automatically added to your cart.

They also carry Nirvana brand Shisha which is good to know for when I'm ready to try that very strong tobacco.

Their shipping is very reasonable, like with social smoke, it's only $6.95 for everything that I added to my cart. Which brings me to:

The Bad:

I tried placing an order with hookahset.com yesterday and the shipping said $6.95. GREAT!!! I placed my order for the coco mazaya, a tin of platinum Bahrain apple Tangiers cane mint and about 5 other Al Fakher flavors to try.

Well, they don't have the Tangiers cane mint, so I changed it to Maraschino Cherry but they also wanted to charge me $23.50 for shipping and the order was only $35.

The kicker is that they are in Jersey and so am I. So I canceled the order, told them to go F&^% themselves an placed the order with Medwakh.com

The Ugly:

I was really looking forward to trying the coco mazaya, but it seems I'm not going to be able to try them right now until I find a reputable company to order from that does NOT charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

I guess this is what happens to me when I try to deviate from Social Smoke. They are a great company to order from, no hassles, shipping is always $5.95 and it's free with an order of $75 or more. They have great flavors and their personal hand holding is great, specially for somebody like me that still considers himself a newbie.

So where can I order the coco mazaya from? Where do you guys order from? Everybody else charges about $12 for shipping but I don't need to place a large order right now, so it's not worth it for me to pay that much for shipping.

I finally got my order today. And I really don't understand how customs calculates the customs taxes for this crap. Last time I had around 400g of shisha, 2 hookahs, and a ton of other stuff, and they charged me like $30. This time, I have 250g of shisha, a bowl, and some other odds n ends and they charge me effing 72 bucks! Thats more than the total of my order was, everything together only cost about $50. 

I guess I'll just go back to ordering the herbal stuff, it's so dumb how much they tax this stuff because they don't even know what it is. Anyway, at least I have my stuff, I can pick it up at the post office tomorrow. Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated. lol

• Like 1

That really really sucks hooligan. That is way too steep of a tax.

I commend you for sticking with this hobby after dealing with things like this.

72 ******* dollars. :o

Yeah, it really sucks because I got into this hobby when I lived in the US, so it was no problem. Now I live here and its almost impossible to enjoy it because it can cost so much. And we all know that herbal and steam stones just are not as good, no matter what anyone says. lol

• Like 1

I finally got my order today. And I really don't understand how customs calculates the customs taxes for this crap. Last time I had around 400g of shisha, 2 hookahs, and a ton of other stuff, and they charged me like $30. This time, I have 250g of shisha, a bowl, and some other odds n ends and they charge me effing 72 bucks! Thats more than the total of my order was, everything together only cost about $50. 

I guess I'll just go back to ordering the herbal stuff, it's so dumb how much they tax this stuff because they don't even know what it is. Anyway, at least I have my stuff, I can pick it up at the post office tomorrow. Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated. lol

oh damn!!!! I'm so sorry to hear that Hooligan. That must put a damper on your day after hearing how much it's going to cost in taxes.

Yeah, it really sucks because I got into this hobby when I lived in the US, so it was no problem. Now I live here and its almost impossible to enjoy it because it can cost so much. And we all know that herbal and steam stones just are not as good, no matter what anyone says. lol

I just thought of something but I don't remember if I asked you this or not. What about if somebody sends you the shisha as a present, would you still have to pay taxes on it?

I just thought of something but I don't remember if I asked you this or not. What about if somebody sends you the shisha as a present, would you still have to pay taxes on it?

I asked before and did quite a bit of research on it. Yes they can still be taxed, and if you are caught selling them tobacco but claims it as gifts you will get fined and the items confiscated(if I remember that correctly). I posted about it, I can find the link again
  • Like 1

I asked before and did quite a bit of research on it. Yes they can still be taxed, and if you are caught selling them tobacco but claims it as gifts you will get fined and the items confiscated(if I remember that correctly). I posted about it, I can find the link again

Well Canada sucks then. Like wtf man?

Yea if a company were to claim it as a gift when its actually merchandise sold, they can get in a buttload of trouble. Any one person can send it to me as a gift though, the only thing is that it's not exempt from taxes that way =( 

Well Canada sucks then. Like wtf man?

Oh you have no idea lol One of these days I'm going to make a huge list of all the things that are awesome and aren't sold here just to see how much it really sucks haha 

I think the south park song "Blame Canada" is in order here.

I'm excited for you to get it nonetheless, I want to know from a forum member how root beer float is

Lol you are right it is in order

and I'm still excited to get the stuff too, thats why I'm going to pay the money instead of sending it back. root beer is the first flavor im going to review so you'll see it soon enough =) Plus of course I'll post my initial thoughts here like I always do.

Okay, just ordered my first Tangiers! Burley line Cane mint and OG line Horchata, along with some titanium's. Any opinions on those two flavors would be greatly appreciated

Hahaha I don't need burley, I don't enjoy the bowl over a certain nicotine content.

NOIR cane mint was amazing and is my favorite mint and I had Birquq Horchata from the san diego lounge and brought it back to vegas and never got it smoking right. I know now that it wasn't acclimated correctly so don't forget that step once you open your packages.

I hear good things about horchata but there are other flavors I'd buy first based on my experiences with it (Haze carnival nights is tastier I feel)

Cane Mint's great, but the burley line is supposedly a kick in the ass.  I have a package of Burley King of Gray that I would LOVE to open but... honestly, I'm kind of a little afraid.  If you like the flavor but it has too much buzz, then you can try the noir line Cane Mint.  It's delicious.

I've had the Horchata as well.  I have mixed feelings about it.  It definitely tastes like a Horchata, but it isn't something I want to smoke that often.  That being said, I'm getting a rare craving for it so I might load up the bowl with some of that tonight.

You'll like the Titaniums.  They're good coals.

In case even NOIR is too much nicotine a brand named cloud9 has a horchata flavor that is very good but it is a short lived smoke like fantasia is. Cloud9 is a washed tobacco from what I gather, no buzz at all for me compared to NOIR. I think they may have a rep for the company as a member on here but again that's just from what I gather seeing usernames around here.

Doug's article is really good, you should definitely check it out before your order comes in. I feel it's more helpful than the masses of youtube videos I found on the subject.

Just placed a new order from hookah-shisha.  Thanks to HookahHooligan for the coupon code.  Got this comin' later this week:

- 2 boxes Nak Mizo Mint

- 1 box Nak Strawberry

- 1 108 ct box Titanium coals

- 1 24 ct box Coco Mazaya coals.  Never tried these, interested in testing them out.

- A crap ton of replacement grommets

- Some plastic bb's.  Also something I've never used before.  The metal ones have always worked fine for me, but I'm curious to try them.

- ROI hookah beads.  I've not heard anyone talk about these, but I'm curious how well they do and how they look.  When Spyro Design releases their bases, I'll have a completely clear base, and I thought they'd be cool to try out with it.  If not, they'll still look cool in my current base.

Edited by TheEightyFour

Just placed a new order from hookah-shisha.  Thanks to HookahHooligan for the coupon code.  Got this comin' later this week:

- 2 boxes Nak Mizo Mint

- 1 box Nak Strawberry

- 1 108 ct box Titanium coals

- 1 24 ct box Coco Mazaya coals.  Never tried these, interested in testing them out.

- A crap ton of replacement grommets

- Some plastic bb's.  Also something I've never used before.  The metal ones have always worked fine for me, but I'm curious to try them.

- ROI hookah beads.  I've not heard anyone talk about these, but I'm curious how well they do and how they look.  When Spyro Design releases their bases, I'll have a completely clear base, and I thought they'd be cool to try out with it.  If not, they'll still look cool in my current base.

Nice order! And no problem use it whenever you want =)

Mazayas are good coals, they're just square shaped coco naras but I think they last slightly longer. Those plastic bbs are great too, I use one with my KM because the metal ones always rust on me. Purging is also so much easier because the ball is lighter. I'm also curious about the ROI beads, I have some in my cart for my next order, I can't see them through my base anyway but I also can't fit a diffuser on my stem because its too long so I'm hoping this will help with that.

Nice order! And no problem use it whenever you want =)

Mazayas are good coals, they're just square shaped coco naras but I think they last slightly longer. Those plastic bbs are great too, I use one with my KM because the metal ones always rust on me. Purging is also so much easier because the ball is lighter. I'm also curious about the ROI beads, I have some in my cart for my next order, I can't see them through my base anyway but I also can't fit a diffuser on my stem because its too long so I'm hoping this will help with that.

Yeah, the diffusion isn't as much an issue for me anymore now that my Sahara Smoke vase broke - the base that came with it, while ugly as hell, and actually smaller, works better for diffusion.  But... I'm still mad curious about those beads.

Yeah, the diffusion isn't as much an issue for me anymore now that my Sahara Smoke vase broke - the base that came with it, while ugly as hell, and actually smaller, works better for diffusion.  But... I'm still mad curious about those beads.

Yea my base is too short so I can only fit half of the diffuser on, I just use the rubber part and leave the plastic part off, it helps some but I think maybe these beads might help more. Do you know how many times you can reuse them? I would imagine after a while they would get gross.

Yea my base is too short so I can only fit half of the diffuser on, I just use the rubber part and leave the plastic part off, it helps some but I think maybe these beads might help more. Do you know how many times you can reuse them? I would imagine after a while they would get gross.

that's what I'm most interested in. if they can only be reused a time or two, it's probably not worth it to me, especially at $13.

that's what I'm most interested in. if they can only be reused a time or two, it's probably not worth it to me, especially at $13.

Yea, if you can only use them twice then thats a total deal breaker. I also have no idea how you would store them in between uses. I guess they can just stay in the base?

I watched a couple video reviews on youtube about them tonight.  Apparently the container they come in is akin to a steam stones container, but maybe a little smaller.  The beads are only a couple mm wide, and once they're soaked in water for a few hours, they grow to be probably a half-inch wide or so.  It's a pretty dramatic increase in size.  You only need a teaspoon's worth for an entire base apparently.

Additionally, they are kind of like a gel.  They don't break unless you put force on them, and they are slippery, so putting a stem into a base full of them isn't going to break them.

One of the videos I saw - the guy took and just stored them in those large black with clear lid takeout containers when not in use.  It seemed like they were fairly reusable, but probably won't last forever.  I've got some cheap Ikea plastic tupperware around here that we never use - I can probably put them in one of those.