Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musicrox414

help with bowls/grommits

Question

I bought a power bowl and a vortex bowl when I got my first hookah and I just can't seem to get the bowls to stay on the stem. I put the grommit on and pushed the bowl down as far down as it would go but you could see it slowly sliding up the tip. I tried putting 2 mod bowl grommits on and that didn't help, I tried putting a wet paper towel on the tip but that only helped a little and I don't feel like having to put a piece of paper towel on everytime I go to smoke. After the vortex bowl fell off and broke I called hookah-shisha.com customer support and  they told me I probably had the wrong grommits and they sent me 2 new ones but they were the same as I was using. Now my power bowl has fell off and broke and I'm just tired of trying to figure it out so can anybody here help me? All I have left is the egyptian bowl that came with it and even with that and 2 mod bowl grommits it still barely stays on. 

I've used that as well, it does wonders at creating an air tight seal. Used to use that when I couldn't find the air leak, just slapped electrical tape on all the parts.

How does the heat affect the glue on the electrical tape? Does it cause a gooey mess because of the heat? Man I'm learning so much on this forum. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does the heat affect the glue on the electrical tape? Does it cause a gooey mess because of the heat? Man I'm learning so much on this forum. Lol

Electrical tape is a fantastic thing.  I've got probably 20 rolls of the stuff that are all older than me - my dad used to be a pipefitter and an electrician, and when he passed away, I took all of it with me.  That stuff is gold.  If duct tape won't fix it, electrical tape will.

I probably wouldn't recommend putting it at the bowl, unless it's under a grommet, or on a grommet that you will keep the tape on.  Heat + electrical tape can cause a gooey mess, you're right.  But that's ideal for getting a better seal anywhere else, particularly if your stem is slightly loose into the vase.  If you already have a base grommet, just wrap some more tape around it and BAM, tighter than... okay, the only analogies I can think of are highly inappropriate.  But it's tight.

Yeah it does cause a mess like Doug said. To add on to what he said, if you add electrical tape to your base grommet and it still doesn't work then use the electrical tape on the outside of the stem and base. Using the tape to create a seal that way is not very pretty but I can tell you from first hand experience that it works perfectly. You can do the same with hoses that just don't want to stay in 

Yeah it does cause a mess like Doug said. To add on to what he said, if you add electrical tape to your base grommet and it still doesn't work then use the electrical tape on the outside of the stem and base. Using the tape to create a seal that way is not very pretty but I can tell you from first hand experience that it works perfectly. You can do the same with hoses that just don't want to stay in 

HUH! I'm not to that point yet, but I'm sure glad to know that there are quick fixes. I have this fear that sooner or later I'm going to break my base or one of my bowls. I know it's just a matter of time. :(

HUH! I'm not to that point yet, but I'm sure glad to know that there are quick fixes. I have this fear that sooner or later I'm going to break my base or one of my bowls. I know it's just a matter of time. :(

It happens to all of us =( But bowls and bases are pretty easy to replace so its not the most awful thing. I like having a few bases on hand so that I have back ups and I can switch it up from time to time.

Bases are dependent on the hookah. Because Stargate bases are not that common and take a bit of searching to replace. I don't keep bases on hand but I do keep a small collection of bowls. You really never know when you may need to whip out another bowl.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

Bases are dependent on the hookah. Because Stargate bases are not that common and take a bit of searching to replace. I don't keep bases on hand but I do keep a small collection of bowls. You really never know when you may need to whip out another bowl.

Ohh yea, I guess with special hookahs like that bases would be a problem if they broke. With egyptian style ones all you need to do is make sure the opening is the same size and that there is room for the downstem. Both are pretty easy to do.

I have a couple bowls, but I'm constantly getting new ones because I like to try new stuff. lol

Yeah i agree because nothing between my two hookahs are compatible, not even the grommet or tray. So if something happens to any of my hookahs, ill have to purchase new parts for it, and i still don't even know what stem will fit the base of my first hookah. At least i can count on social smoke if something happens to my Izmir.

Ohh yea, I guess with special hookahs like that bases would be a problem if they broke. With egyptian style ones all you need to do is make sure the opening is the same size and that there is room for the downstem. Both are pretty easy to do.

I have a couple bowls, but I'm constantly getting new ones because I like to try new stuff. lol

I have a bit, but sadly no Alien or Harmony bowl, which I really want. I'd order one but my phunnel bowls evenly heat my shisha and they still last hours. So I don't have much of a reason to get something new. 

I always want every new bowl that comes out, I don't know why. Obviously I'm not going to use them all, all the time but its nice having options I guess. Plus they look cool in my opinion. lol

I have a Harmony bowl, I really like it.  It is solid so it gets pretty hot after a session or two.  It holds lot of tobacco as well.

I always want every new bowl that comes out, I don't know why. Obviously I'm not going to use them all, all the time but its nice having options I guess. Plus they look cool in my opinion. lol

Trying to be a hookah bowl master? Trying to catch them all? haha. I agree though, they do look amazing. Whenever I show guests my 4 headed bowl they are surprised. 

I have a Harmony bowl, I really like it.  It is solid so it gets pretty hot after a session or two.  It holds lot of tobacco as well.

Don't they hold 30 grams? That is a lot of shisha. Mine holds about 20-25g

I got the metallic color from hookah-shisha, I cant wait to get it lol

Trying to be a hookah bowl master? Trying to catch them all? haha. I agree though, they do look amazing. Whenever I show guests my 4 headed bowl they are surprised. 

Don't they hold 30 grams? That is a lot of shisha. Mine holds about 20-25g

Yea basically, they are just cool to me. And I've seen those multi head ones, seems so pointless but its for fun anyway so who cares lol

And yea the harmony holds like 30-35g from everything I've read, I will have to test it out when I get it to know for sure though.

I got the metallic color from hookah-shisha, I cant wait to get it lol

Yea basically, they are just cool to me. And I've seen those multi head ones, seems so pointless but its for fun anyway so who cares lol

And yea the harmony holds like 30-35g from everything I've read, I will have to test it out when I get it to know for sure though.

I like those multi-head bowls or the ones that are split in two like this one http://5starhookah.com/Multi-Hookah-Bowl-MHBL.htm but I ended up not getting it because there's a method to my madness. Even though I do a lot of mixing, I don't want my flavors mixed, I want them in layers. So for example if I want something minty and something sweet; I add A LOT of shisha at the bottom and put the mint at the top. That way when the mint is about to die down, the sweet kicks in and it's nothing but sweetness till the session ends. See, I told you there was a method to my madness.

I like those multi-head bowls or the ones that are split in two like this one http://5starhookah.com/Multi-Hookah-Bowl-MHBL.htm but I ended up not getting it because there's a method to my madness. Even though I do a lot of mixing, I don't want my flavors mixed, I want them in layers. So for example if I want something minty and something sweet; I add A LOT of shisha at the bottom and put the mint at the top. That way when the mint is about to die down, the sweet kicks in and it's nothing but sweetness till the session ends. See, I told you there was a method to my madness.

Yea I mix stuff 2 different ways, I either layer it like you said so that the session changes as it goes, or I mix the flavors up in a bowl and then pack it so everything is blended nicely. It depends on what I'm in the mood for. Either way, I think those sectioned off bowls would be more difficult to get right because you're forced to use 50/50 rather than 80/20 or whatever you want to use. 

Yea I mix stuff 2 different ways, I either layer it like you said so that the session changes as it goes, or I mix the flavors up in a bowl and then pack it so everything is blended nicely. It depends on what I'm in the mood for. Either way, I think those sectioned off bowls would be more difficult to get right because you're forced to use 50/50 rather than 80/20 or whatever you want to use.

Yeah you are right about the mixing ratios....hum..... I wouldn't mind mixing it in a bowl, but i would be afraid that i mix the wrong flavors. What kind of flavors do you like to mix?

I like to mix mint with things. Mixing fruit flavors together is pretty nice.

When I pack mine to be a mix, I do one side in one flavor, and the other side with the second flavor.

I like to mix mint with things. Mixing fruit flavors together is pretty nice.

When I pack mine to be a mix, I do one side in one flavor, and the other side with the second flavor.

Maybe that 50/50 bowl would be good for you then lol

Yeah you are right about the mixing ratios....hum..... I wouldn't mind mixing it in a bowl, but i would be afraid that i mix the wrong flavors. What kind of flavors do you like to mix?

I've tried tons of combos, mixing in mint is obvious, then most fruits go together of course. I like to mix rose or jasmine with some fruit flavors like lemon or melon. I have a huge list on my website somewhere of all the mixes I've tried and tested I'll find it later and post some examples. 

If you're going to mix a few flavors, bring their containers close together and smell the tobacco.  If you like how they smell together before you even take any tobacco out, it'll probably be pretty good.  Obviously, a tobacco smell isn't 100% representative of the taste when you smoke it, but for the most part, it works.

One thing to note though - you should probably smoke each flavor individually first.  If a mint smells super strong but is rather mild when being smoked, you can use a little more and it won't overpower the mix as a whole.  If a flavor (like coffee) ghosts your pipe and is really bold, use a little less, or it'll overpower any other flavors.  More liquid-y tobaccos can also overpower dryer tobaccos just because of the amount of molasses.  For instance, AF Strawberry is not a super strong flavor (I'd probably say medium intensity) but is super wet.  Mixing it 50/50 with something drier like Nakhla Apple, you'll probably miss out on the apple flavor altogether.  That 50/50 really ends up being more like 70/30.

Really, if you just like two flavors, try it out a few times with some different ratios.  You won't create an unsmokeable bowl very easily (unless you mix something like Starbuzz Tropicool with Social Smoke Arabian Nights).  Just try to think what flavors, as food, would be delicious together.  And whatever you do, don't mix Tangiers with any other brand of shisha tobacco.  And remember, it's all subjective - what you may like in a mix, I may not.

I like to make a mix of Tangiers Chocolate Coconut.  I layer a little bit of Cocoa on the bottom, lots of Coconut and then some more Cocoa on top.  I think I might add just a touch of Romman Almond to the center next time.  It will be like an Almond Joy!

Jasmine and Kiwi is a nice blend

Blending multiple brands of the same flavor is nice too, it makes it more complex.  We had a bowl the other night of three different types of Chocolate Mint mixed together.  

If you're going to mix a few flavors, bring their containers close together and smell the tobacco.  If you like how they smell together before you even take any tobacco out, it'll probably be pretty good.  Obviously, a tobacco smell isn't 100% representative of the taste when you smoke it, but for the most part, it works.

One thing to note though - you should probably smoke each flavor individually first.  If a mint smells super strong but is rather mild when being smoked, you can use a little more and it won't overpower the mix as a whole.  If a flavor (like coffee) ghosts your pipe and is really bold, use a little less, or it'll overpower any other flavors.  More liquid-y tobaccos can also overpower dryer tobaccos just because of the amount of molasses.  For instance, AF Strawberry is not a super strong flavor (I'd probably say medium intensity) but is super wet.  Mixing it 50/50 with something drier like Nakhla Apple, you'll probably miss out on the apple flavor altogether.  That 50/50 really ends up being more like 70/30.

Really, if you just like two flavors, try it out a few times with some different ratios.  You won't create an unsmokeable bowl very easily (unless you mix something like Starbuzz Tropicool with Social Smoke Arabian Nights).  Just try to think what flavors, as food, would be delicious together.  And whatever you do, don't mix Tangiers with any other brand of shisha tobacco.  And remember, it's all subjective - what you may like in a mix, I may not.

wow Doug, thanks for that awesome tip. I always smoke the tobacco on it's own first, and I start to mix it once I get familiar with the flavor. One thing I don't try to do is go by smell first only because the smell can be very misleading. I've had some nice success in mixing some flavors together and others no so much. Like I don't take Nahklha and mix it with Social Smoke; so no brand-crossing for me. The only one I've had 50/50 success brand-crossing is Al Fahker. I'll keep on trying different mixes to see what I come up with. I do like the idea of a mix of everything like Chernobyl and WolfDen do.

I like to make a mix of Tangiers Chocolate Coconut.  I layer a little bit of Cocoa on the bottom, lots of Coconut and then some more Cocoa on top.  I think I might add just a touch of Romman Almond to the center next time.  It will be like an Almond Joy!

Jasmine and Kiwi is a nice blend

Blending multiple brands of the same flavor is nice too, it makes it more complex.  We had a bowl the other night of three different types of Chocolate Mint mixed together.  

Man, you guys are pros at this mixing thing. LOL. I think I'm going to actually take a bowl and really mix some of the flavors I enjoy. I'll see how that works out.

Thanks!  I forgot that I like adding a touch of Cardamom (AF) to Turkish Coffee (Romman) every know and then.  Makes it a little spicier and not so sweet.  But saying a little bit I mean maybe 10-20% Cardamom.

Thanks!  I forgot that I like adding a touch of Cardamom (AF) to Turkish Coffee (Romman) every know and then.  Makes it a little spicier and not so sweet.  But saying a little bit I mean maybe 10-20% Cardamom.