Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nima

Jan Giveaway - Best Winter Shisha Mix - Tnx to HookahSet.cm

New year is here and it's cold (even here in Houston). and thanks to HookahSet.com we have our latest giveaway:

Submit Your Best Winter Shisha Mix

Rules:

• Post the mix in this thread along with a reason on why you think this is the best shisha mix to smoke in winter
  • Post a picture of your preparing the mix (with all the flavors and brands shown in the picture)
  • Post a picture of yourself smoking the flavor
Bonus: Mention Hookah.org in your pictures :)

We can only ship to winners in U.S. and Canada. Our Canadian members will only get the hookah (w/o the tobacco due to custom issues).

Contest ends on January 23rd at midnight (central time).

The prize is an awesome Khalil Mamoon Black Shareef Hookah generously donated to us by HookahSet.com.

N9XcDAT.jpg

I believe I'm entering tonight

Okay so today's winter mix consists of first fantasia brand one hundred which is a wintergreen mint and also Starbuzz' Tangerine Dream, It's more of the wintergreen. Since it's a winter mix I also seem to think of the cold and you associate the cold with ice and ice with mint I thought it was only appropriate I found that it was cooling and relaxing like a menthol but not as intense. With a tangerine mix into it it gives off something ice breakers would make. I found it enjoyable to smoke before bed I also had some other trials with starbuzz' blue surfer but the mint was a little over powering. All and all this winter mix is one to keep on the list on the weekly smoke session. (Sorry for all the selfies didn't have anyone to take picture because I'm smoking solo)

post-9785-1421815226271_thumb.jpg

post-9785-14218152374378_thumb.jpg

post-9785-14218152545031_thumb.jpg

Here's my mix, which can be customized to what you have on hand.

Inspired by the following:

- Peppermint flavors, such as candy canes, are popular around the holidays.

- Chocolate is abundant.

- Those orange chocolate balls are the bomb-diggity (I just lost this competition for saying that, didn't I?).

I considered a cinnamon apple mix, since there's a lot of dessert food (like apple pies) going around in the winter, particularly around Christmas.  But I decided that was a little vague.

The mix:

- A base of Tangiers Birquq Orange Soda.  A nice, sweet, light orange flavor that adds the orange touch with a bit of sparkle.  An alternative would be AF Orange, which might provide a bolder flavor.

- Social Smoke Chocolate Chill.  Adds a chocolate and mint flavor to the mix.  If I had Tangiers Chocolate Mint on hand, I would use that on top of the Orange, with a pinch of Tangiers Cane Mint.  Alas, I don't.

Each flavor can be adjusted per your taste.  I like Orange, so I used a pretty substantial base of it, about 50%.  I might would do a little less next time, particularly since the Social Smoke Chocolate Chill is really a blend of two flavors itself.

Setup:

- KM Dark Silver Shareef

- Acrylic Dream Hose

- Spyro Base, with blue ROI beads and a Heba diffuser

- Alien Mini.  You could use any bowl you like, but if you stick with the Tangiers flavors, you should use a phunnel of some sort.  The Harmony would be a great alternative, and I like it for using Tangiers/non-Tangiers mixes.

- Wind cover

- Two pieces of HD foil (you could use a Lotus as well, but probably pack the bowl a little less)

- Two Titanium coals

Preparation:

I packed the Tangiers Orange Soda in a typical Tangiers pack in the bottom of the Alien Mini:

post-9286-0-34076600-1421873511_thumb.jp

Then, added the Social Smoke Chocolate Chill on top, slightly dense:

post-9286-0-80710500-1421873509_thumb.jp

Hole pattern, using two layers of HD foil:

post-9286-0-14444500-1421873508_thumb.jp

The bowl and the setup:

post-9286-0-32983500-1421873506_thumb.jp

post-9286-0-37954000-1421873504_thumb.jp

Smoking it:

post-9286-0-36356200-1421873502_thumb.jp

Session notes:

As you can see from the attached photos, in typical Tangiers and Social Smoke fashion, the clouds are huge.  I'm barely in the picture of myself smoking, but I couldn't get a better picture because it's a selfie, and it's difficult to hold a huge iPhone 6+ far away without dropping it.  The first 10-15 minutes are very chocolately, but light, where the mint is a little bit more of an afterthought.  Added my wind cover at this point, and around the same time the orange kicked in a little more and the mint is more present.

I'm expecting, by the end of the bowl, to have basically Orange left.

Personal rating:

It's an interesting blend that is complex in the flavors, since there are really three flavors floating around.  However, after a while of smoking, you can definitely taste all of them and discern them individually.  In my opinion, it's a really nice blend, though it's maybe a little bit too bright, as the Orange Soda flavor is somewhat sparkle-y.  I'd rate it, personally, an 8.5/10, but trying other brands of similar flavors and messing with the amount of each flavor used would definitely up this to a 9 or a 9.5.

As far as buzz is concerned, if you are used to smoking Tangiers (or maybe even Nakhla), you won't notice one.  Newbies to Tangiers will definitely get a good buzz going.

Closing comments:

Considering I'm already using a different-colored version of the hookah that's being given away, I won't feel bad if I don't win.  That being said, I'd probably end up giving this to a buddy of mine, but, of course, testing it out a few times first :)

Hello everyone, as ive said last week, this is the first giveaway i have entered. With that stated this is what i think will be the best winter mix in my opinion. Its very simple but is oh so good =). Lets start off with the hookah its self. Winter mean cold so fill the base up with ice. Not just a couple cubes but the whole base need to be filled(up to the where the water line will be) also for a little more cold i went ahead a froze the steam. Now lets move on to the mix. Im a mint smoker till the day i died so of course i had to use AF mint. The next flavour is probably not expected but i put in a little pann. (90% mint 10% pann, went a little light on the pann) why did i just use these two flavours? Well to me pann complements mint so well and intensify the mint. And it also reminds me of summer. We shouldn't be smoking something in the winter to remind us of the cold(i know, what!, i just talked about everything being cold) because we should look foward to all the warm summer nights. Thats it i dont know how well i described everything but in the winter i smoke pann and mint all the time and it just such an amazing mix for the winter. As for the pictures here you all go. "I tried to right in hookah.org in the tin foil but that wasnt my final hole placement." Good luck to everyone =)

post-9402-14219539367846_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14219539483513_thumb.jpg

post-9402-1421953959532_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14219539720821_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14219539831626_thumb.jpg

On the eve of the contest deadline I will finally post my mix as I am done mixing and messing with it!

I'm not a formatting ace like eightyfour but I will try and make the pictures coincide with the descriptions, here it goes:

THE FLAVORS:

Nakhla strawberry (the 250 box)

Starbuzz pumpkin pie (the 100gram tin)

Fumari Mint chocolate chill (the 100gram bag)

Picture 1

THE PREP:

To your vase add a heaping amount of peppermint candies. I would say no less than 20; you can add more but that goes into this next part. The mint candies will act as a diffuser for about twenty minutes of your session depending on how many you are adding. Don't worry they will dissolve completely within 45 minutes.

Picture 2

To your mints add a half teaspoon of cinnamon sugar, I prefer this over regular cinnamon because it is a lot sweeter and won't turn this session into a "red hot" type of feel.

Lastly add some ice. this will also help will the diffusion. I used about 10 cubes. Something like 10 cubes won't drastically change your water level, if you are adding more use a bit less water of course.

PACKING:

Start your Egyptian bowl with a base layer of the strawberry. Not too much. You basically only need to cover the holes.

Next take a pinch of pumpkin pie and a pinch of strawberry and put them aside on a plate, or for extra points on a AF 250 mint bucket top.

Picture 3

Now mix them generously. You don't need to break them up prior to this as you will be doing that in the next step anyway.

Picture 4

Then you will pick up the lid and smell your mix. This is a key step. do not skip this. This is your reward for shelling mint candies for this mix. Nice ain't it?

Now that you are excited and wanting to smoke, add in the mixture you just created around the outer part of the bowl making sure it is very loose and broken up. Load it like a doughnut essentially. Make sure you leave a space between that base strawberry layer for our next part in the middle.

Picture 5

Lastly take your mint chocolate chill and sprinkle pack the center until it is full. Fill in ANY open spots on the top you may have missed with the spiced strawberry mixture. Maybe pack it down SLIGHTLY as we are using a lotus.

THE SMOKE/MIX DESCRIPTION:

During the winter months a drink is always present in my home. Hot chocolate. To me this IS winter. I long all year for hot chocolate but can never enjoy it, as you know I live in the blistering desert climate. I got all out for my hot chocolates. I heavily spice them, add mint, and even add fruit sometimes. This is what I'm going for with this mix.

A big ol' cup of hot chocolate with a peppermint stick that knocks you in the face when sipping but soothes your tastebuds with a kick of the winter baking aroma that is cinnamon and nutmeg. Your treat is at the very bottom of your cup soaking in the spice and chocolate; a big healthy and juicy strawberry.

Now to the smoke quality. Even when using an Egyptian you can expect thunderous clouds that won't disappoint even the most avid of cloud chasers. It will last quite some time and can take a pretty good amount of heat. With the base cocktail portion you get this sparkling red hue that gets darker as your session goes. Not from loss of molasses or glycerin but as a result of your cinnamon swirling with the mints.

Picture 6

I hope you all try this mix before it gets warm, you can see that I enjoy it! Thanks for such a fun contest, I had a BLAST this month making it!

Picture 7

attachments_2015_01_23.zip

post-9528-0-74155200-1421974884_thumb.jp

Today is the final day, I want to say to all the other contestants may the best mixer win and that I had fun and will continue having a great time on this site good luck to anyone entering still later today

I'm trying to get this type up and what not but my power has been off since 11am. A transformer blew near my apartment. Typing all this on a phone isn't fun or easy

Hello everyone, as ive said last week, this is the first giveaway i have entered. With that stated this is what i think will be the best winter mix in my opinion. Its very simple but is oh so good =). Lets start off with the hookah its self. Winter mean cold so fill the base up with ice. Not just a couple cubes but the whole base need to be filled(up to the where the water line will be) also for a little more cold i went ahead a froze the steam. Now lets move on to the mix. Im a mint smoker till the day i died so of course i had to use AF mint. The next flavour is probably not expected but i put in a little pann. (90% mint 10% pann, went a little light on the pann) why did i just use these two flavours? Well to me pann complements mint so well and intensify the mint. And it also reminds me of summer. We shouldn't be smoking something in the winter to remind us of the cold(i know, what!, i just talked about everything being cold) because we should look foward to all the warm summer nights. Thats it i dont know how well i described everything but in the winter i smoke pann and mint all the time and it just such an amazing mix for the winter. As for the pictures here you all go. "I tried to right in hookah.org in the tin foil but that wasnt my final hole placement." Good luck to everyone =)

The spelling of our site on the foil is total GENIOUS!!!!! Unless you object I'm borrowing that picture to post on our Facebook and instagram just because is awesome. Let me know if it's not cool and I won't use it. I need written permission to use it :) 

The spelling of our site on the foil is total GENIOUS!!!!! Unless you object I'm borrowing that picture to post on our Facebook and instagram just because is awesome. Let me know if it's not cool and I won't use it. I need written permission to use it :)

anything i post is free for anyone to use. Whats the instagram so i can follow you. Mine is alwayssaltyy

ok so here's my mix. Is not as intricate as the other entries on here because I like to keep things simple. 

Intro

I found that my favorite winter mix is what I call "Candy Cane". It was just one of those things that I came across mixing my shisha in stock. If you pay attention to my adventures, I love to mix all flavors that I can find whether it sounds good or not or even if they don't go well together. I rather experiment than try mixes that sound like they will smoke well together because every palate is different. You might hate a brand very much and I might love it to death. Point in case with the Jewels and Voodoo brand which don't have the best reputation out there, but I will smoke Jewels till the day I die. 

there's nothing to this mix

I don't like complicated mixes so I only mix two flavors at a time. One day before Christmas I wanted something very sweet but with a bite. After a few minutes looking at my shisha stash, I took down the sweet: Hydro Herbal Kali Drizzle, and then I took down the bite: Fantasia Ice mint. 

A bit of a background on those flavors

Hydro Herbal Kali Drizzle is a very, very sweet blueberry shisha but more sweet with only some blueberry/grape connotations. I enjoy it because it quenches my cravings for a sweet smoke. 

Fantasia Ice Mint was my mint of choice for the “bite” part of the mix. If you’ve smoked it then you know this mint has a very strong earthy mint tone unlike most mints, which I thought would counteract the sweetness of the kali drizzle. 

The Mix

Like I said, I like to keep it nice and easy and it was an experiment that I had fun trying. Now, I don’t usually mix my shisha together. I put one flavor in the bottom of the bowl, and a layer of flavor on top of that depending on the flavor I want to taste first. 

I’ve found that the best ratio is 60/40 with the bigger amount being the sweetness and the 40% the mint.
so I take the mint and put it on the bottom of the bowl and then take the kali drizzle and add it to the top and I pack it down just a tiny bit. 

The setup

I used my Social Smoke Izmir hookah with a funnel bowl and 3 starlight coals. No mint in the base (I usually drop a few altoids in there), and no ice hose tip. 

The Smoke

The smoke is super huge and puffy and very enjoyable. The sweetness hits you first but the mint is right behind it. after about 10 minutes or so, the mix tastes exactly just like a candy cane that you get during Christmas time. 

That my friends, is my Christmas Candy Cane shisha mix.

post-9346-0-06325000-1422084011_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-54311400-1422084020_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-03756500-1422084396_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-60191600-1422084044_thumb.jp

anything i post is free for anyone to use. Whats the instagram so i can follow you. Mine is alwayssaltyy

Mine is dd0723. I'll add you right now.

So now that this contest is over how will the voting work and how will the winner be contacted? Still new to the website =)

So now that this contest is over how will the voting work and how will the winner be contacted? Still new to the website =)

Voting will probably be with a poll or a thread, maybe both. Winner will be contacted on the site, probably through a PM

Voting will probably be with a poll or a thread, maybe both. Winner will be contacted on the site, probably through a PM

Yes , correct

The contest will end at the end of the month and voting will be open for a week. 

It says on the guidelines the 23rd is the last day. Let's rock the vote! :dancingbanana::monkeydance::evildancingbanana: hahaha

Can we ourselves vote?

I'm going to extend it until end of the month mainly becaus I just got back myself. 

Yes you can vote yourself too (i'm going to start a poll in a new thread at the end of the contest)

I'll put the voting thread up sometime late tonight (after superbowl)