Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nima

Updates coming in the next few months

It looks good, I agree with doug on the font. There is also something weird going on when you hover over the 'product guides' button in the navigation bar. Other than that it looks great, I like the layout a lot, maybe a little long but as long as it loads fast enough I don't see a problem with it. 

It looks good.  The fonts look a little... aliased and sharp.  But maybe that's just the demo.

Yes, the font will be fixed so will the navigation. That's just the preliminary design. Its not coded yet. 

Yeah I definitely like the layout a lot, the font is a little iffy though.   :thumbsup:

I decided to wait until I have new updated designs for "Trusted Stores" page and the "Advertise" page and the "About" page and the "Shisha Flavor Review" page before releasing the new design. I'm hoping those designs will be completed by end of next week and the programming to be completed by mid June. 

The next step will be upgrading our forum to the new 4.0 version (after a few bug fixes are released) and then designing the graphics for it to match the blog. 

Side note my notifications wont show up on the app anymore. Ill get the drop down menu when out of the app but once i go to the tab it doesnt show up

post-9402-14320805827595_thumb.jpg

Side note my notifications wont show up on the app anymore. Ill get the drop down menu when out of the app but once i go to the tab it doesnt show up

I dont think my notifications ever worked. Did they ever work for others?

Here is the new design of "Trusted Stores" page. We'll talk about the content of it in another thread but what do you think of the design?

https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/R930P0NJG#/screens/78839100/comments

I think the biggest glaring omission is the actual vendor's website.  I'm sure it's clickable on the header, but it would be great, especially having promos for them, to have a reader be able to see what the link is to that particular store.

I think the biggest glaring omission is the actual vendor's website.  I'm sure it's clickable on the header, but it would be great, especially having promos for them, to have a reader be able to see what the link is to that particular store.

Do you mean the URL itself spelled out?

I dont think my notifications ever worked. Did they ever work for others?

I don't think the notifications ever worked for me at all, but I might have them off. 

I"m pretty sure the logos will be clickable to their website at least. right?

I"m pretty sure the logos will be clickable to their website at least. right?

Yes, the logos will be clickable so will be the title of each Trusted Store. I can also put a "Go to" link beside them

Do you mean the URL itself spelled out?

Yes, the logos will be clickable so will be the title of each Trusted Store. I can also put a "Go to" link beside them

Yes.  But the problem is, because they are coupons, people are just going to say "oh, this is a coupon for X.  lemme look them up."  A "Go to site" or the actual web page written out would help a lot with that; otherwise, they just kind of look like images or ads.

What do you guys think of the layout for the "About" page and the "Advertise" page for the new design? Don't worry about background colors and detail graphic design. This is just a sketch I'll send to our graphic designer to come up with a good design. 

The About page will have information about all the people that make this place possible (that includes all our great moderators and Doug too). 

eDTsx3S.png

BqYvIkV.png

I like it; however, I would prefer to not have my full name posted on this page.  I can provide an alias if need be.

However, a few notes on the design:

- Analytics is spelled incorrectly

- Stats from Google Analytics would be very useful as well - a YouTube users chart, as well as hit counts on associated sites, is AWESOME.  But you've omitted the details regarding Hookah.org.

I've gone ahead and hired a programmer to bring our new blog design live. It should be done within 3 to 4 weeks :)

Its exciting times :)

We should be done with the new theme for the articles section within another two weeks or so. 

Also, IPB (the software running on our forum) has finally released their new 4.0 version of the software (out of the beta mode). Once I'm done with the theme for the article section I'm going to upgrade the forum to the latest version and then work with our graphic designer and coder to make the forum match the same graphic style too.

By end of the year we will be done with a complete overhaul of Hookah.org which was started in early 2014 :)

Its exciting times :)

We should be done with the new theme for the articles section within another two weeks or so. 

Also, IPB (the software running on our forum) has finally released their new 4.0 version of the software (out of the beta mode). Once I'm done with the theme for the article section I'm going to upgrade the forum to the latest version and then work with our graphic designer and coder to make the forum match the same graphic style too.

By end of the year we will be done with a complete overhaul of Hookah.org which was started in early 2014 :)

That's fantastic Nima.  I know I owe you a couple articles too - I'll get them done this week.  I'm pumped to see new layout goodness though!  Especially since I'm working on doing a site's complete UI redesign... a quarter million lines of code to be rewritten.  My life is a text editor for the next 6 months.

That's fantastic Nima.  I know I owe you a couple articles too - I'll get them done this week.  I'm pumped to see new layout goodness though!  Especially since I'm working on doing a site's complete UI redesign... a quarter million lines of code to be rewritten.  My life is a text editor for the next 6 months.

Holy Crap!!! are you really going to write that much code? Why don't you use an environment like Flux or Coda? your life would be that much easier.

Holy Crap!!! are you really going to write that much code? Why don't you use an environment like Flux or Coda? your life would be that much easier.

I use Sublime Text 3.  Coda's helpful features are too much in the way for what I do, and doesn't support Ruby or HAML very well.

Keep us in the loop about your site design too (happy to test features out whenever you want us too). 

The new design is almost done. I'm in the final testing phase of it. Put a /Test/ in front of our URL and check it out :)

Keep us in the loop about your site design too (happy to test features out whenever you want us too). 

The new design is almost done. I'm in the final testing phase of it. Put a /Test/ in front of our URL and check it out :)

I like the idea behind it but it needs some further tweaking.  The "top articles" font is too large - there are a lot of font sizes on this page, and that's bigger than some header fonts.  And why not use bold anywhere for accenting copy/titles?

Im done with all the front end design. Can you guys take another look and let me know if there is anything you see that I missed?

Sure.  A few points:

1. The "sign in" at the top is large and obnoxious.  It would be nice if that bar matched the style of the forum bar (black background with a light gradient), and kill off the ALL CAPS and the orange-colored background behind "Create Account."

2. Line spacing of text under "Top Articles" is too high.  This is very noticeable when it goes to more than one line of text.

3. "Latest Article" should be "Latest Articles" (plural).

4. "Latest Article" "View All" takes you to a page with a category of "latest-article."  This should be a custom page that displays all posts chronologically.

4. "Top Articles" "View All" is a href to '#', meaning it just scrolls to the top of the page.

5. Mousing over any of the coupon codes just shows the text "hookahorg."  Probably doesn't need to change text here.

6. "Brands" "View All" also links to '#'

7. "Al Fakher" under "Brands" is spelled incorrectly

8. I would omit the timestamp/date from "Latest Interviews," especially since there hasn't been one in over a year.

9. Same thing with "Hookah Culture" - remove the date.

10. When resizing for a mobile view, the iOS and Android icons (at least using Chrome for Mac) are aligned too high - they need some top padding to center them.

These are all pretty minor things, all stuff that can probably be knocked out in an hour.

Sure.  A few points:

1. The "sign in" at the top is large and obnoxious.  It would be nice if that bar matched the style of the forum bar (black background with a light gradient), and kill off the ALL CAPS and the orange-colored background behind "Create Account."

2. Line spacing of text under "Top Articles" is too high.  This is very noticeable when it goes to more than one line of text.

3. "Latest Article" should be "Latest Articles" (plural).

4. "Latest Article" "View All" takes you to a page with a category of "latest-article."  This should be a custom page that displays all posts chronologically.

4. "Top Articles" "View All" is a href to '#', meaning it just scrolls to the top of the page.

5. Mousing over any of the coupon codes just shows the text "hookahorg."  Probably doesn't need to change text here.

6. "Brands" "View All" also links to '#'

7. "Al Fakher" under "Brands" is spelled incorrectly

8. I would omit the timestamp/date from "Latest Interviews," especially since there hasn't been one in over a year.

9. Same thing with "Hookah Culture" - remove the date.

10. When resizing for a mobile view, the iOS and Android icons (at least using Chrome for Mac) are aligned too high - they need some top padding to center them.

These are all pretty minor things, all stuff that can probably be knocked out in an hour.

Thanks Doug. All good points.