magushnik01

funnel vs vortex

So i always hear people say they love their vortex bowl or they love their funnel bowl.  I guess my question is why would someone use a vortex bowl over a funnel.  What advantages if any do they have.  I have 2 funnels and a few egy bowls, can't imagine anything else being better.  I'd like to hear some advantages to a vortex over a funnel if anyone has experience with both, thanks!!!

• Like 1

DD will be here in a bit. Those are his two favorites haha

personally I'm with you, the vortex, although helped me gain more knowledge coming out of my mod bowl years, just doesn't smoke the same as a phunnel.

It is a great bowl though, I feel you should go there before making the full leap to a phunnel anyways.

• Like 1

personally I'm with you, the vortex, although helped me gain more knowledge coming out of my mod bowl years, just doesn't smoke the same as a phunnel.

It is a great bowl though, I feel you should go there before making the full leap to a phunnel anyways.

Oh i have 2 phunnels already

• Like 1

I used to use vortexes all the time, but I find that I really like a phunnel much better.

Vortex bowls give you a closed spire, which means that if you don't pull your foil really tight, you'll never have the "collapsing" issue.  However, the holes in a vortex get clogged really easily, and don't facilitate as much airflow.  Cheap vortexes also make it so you have to pack your hookah too low, as the holes are down too low, generally due to poor QA practices and uneven punches.  Vortex bowls don't always work with the Kaloud Lotus either - if the spire is too high, it just doesn't work (without getting all hacky on your bowl, at least, with some aluminum foil, but that eliminates the purpose of the Lotus then, doesn't it?).

Phunnels have the open spire, which allows a tremendous amount of airflow.  The only downside to these is that they require the foil to be tight, or to have something preventing the foil from going onto the spire when inhaling.  After you've had a couple bad experiences, it's a non-issue though.  Works with the Lotus, easy to maintain, easier to clean, spire doesn't get clogged (and no holes to get clogged either).

My vote is for the phunnel.

• Like 1

I made the leap from Egyptians to phunnels. Didn't skip a beat at all. Other than the possible foil sag there are little to no learning curves for a phunnel.
  • Like 1

Another thing that differs between the two is materials. Vortex bowls are made from cheap ceramic like the Chinese phunnel bowls are. It works, but can make heat management a pain because it doesn't heat as evenly as clay does. I would choose a good clay phunnel over a vortex bowl any day.

• Like 2

so basically no advantages to a vortex...  except foil drag, which i believe the predator bowl addresses.  i just don't understand why people buy them when they know the phunnel is out there.  who are.  these people.   :D

• Like 1

so basically no advantages to a vortex... except foil drag, which i believe the predator bowl addresses. i just don't understand why people buy them when they know the phunnel is out there. who are. these people. :D

People new to this hobby are more likely to buy them. They want to experience everything they can get a hold of. Veteran smokers would buy them to expand a collection.
  • Like 1

Vortex bowls appeal much more to new smokers and often bridge the gap between mod bowls and phunnel bowls for the reasons mentioned above.

That, and people love to try new things and it does look like a cool concept.

• Like 1

a few years back you couldn't even find phunnels anyway. Sahara did a great job of supplying little shops with their votex. I remember vividly where I live that the copy cat funnels didn't even come in till the next year.

• Like 1

a few years back you couldn't even find phunnels anyway. Sahara did a great job of supplying little shops with their votex. I remember vividly where I live that the copy cat funnels didn't even come in till the next year.

Same here - the phunnels were kinda new around here, but you could buy 7 different kinds of knock-off vortexes anywhere.

• Like 1

Same here - the phunnels were kinda new around here, but you could buy 7 different kinds of knock-off vortexes anywhere.

I remember only being able to find the very large phunnels intended for steam stones for quite a while. Every store had vortexes though, they even out numbered mod bowls
  • Like 1

That is true too, they used to be a go to bowl. Now there's a million kinds of phunnel bowls and still only a handful of vortex style ones lok

• Like 1

Another thing that differs between the two is materials. Vortex bowls are made from cheap ceramic like the Chinese phunnel bowls are. It works, but can make heat management a pain because it doesn't heat as evenly as clay does. I would choose a good clay phunnel over a vortex bowl any day.

Intresting, any reason no one made a clay vortex?

• Like 1

Intresting, any reason no one made a clay vortex?

I have no idea lol hookah john makes a vortex style bowl that is clay but I don't like how the center part sticks up so high above the rest of the bowl. Its called the flying saucer bowl if you're interested in finding it.

• Like 1

LOL well sorry to be late to the party. I kept looking for the thread and always got sidetracked. 

Dude is right about me liking both bowls. A funnel makes the draw easier and it definitely holds more shisha than my vortex. The funnel is the perfect bowl for super wet shisha like Fumari or vapor stones. It's great for longer sessions as I love. 

However, I do enjoy my vortex quite a lot because I can use any other shisha not as wet like Al Faker or Jewels. It also holds less shisha so I don't have to have a 4-hour session like I can with the funnel. Because of the smaller size, I can also get away with only using 2 pieces of coals and a wind cover. To be perfectly honest, I've been able to use very wet shisha like social smoke or hookafina in the vortex by packing the bowl and then pushing the shisha away from the holes on the spire. I've found that it does a good job in keeping the juices from running down the stem. 

I honestly believe that no matter how many years I smoke hookah, I will always use a vortex to smoke out of from time to time. I don't always like using a funnel for my smoke sessions. 

• Like 1

LOL well sorry to be late to the party. I kept looking for the thread and always got sidetracked. 

Dude is right about me liking both bowls. A funnel makes the draw easier and it definitely holds more shisha than my vortex. The funnel is the perfect bowl for super wet shisha like Fumari or vapor stones. It's great for longer sessions as I love. 

However, I do enjoy my vortex quite a lot because I can use any other shisha not as wet like Al Faker or Jewels. It also holds less shisha so I don't have to have a 4-hour session like I can with the funnel. Because of the smaller size, I can also get away with only using 2 pieces of coals and a wind cover. To be perfectly honest, I've been able to use very wet shisha like social smoke or hookafina in the vortex by packing the bowl and then pushing the shisha away from the holes on the spire. I've found that it does a good job in keeping the juices from running down the stem. 

I honestly believe that no matter how many years I smoke hookah, I will always use a vortex to smoke out of from time to time. I don't always like using a funnel for my smoke sessions. 

can't you use a phunnel for tobaccos that arent as wet as well tho.  And aren't there smaller sized phunnel bowls.  (i'm totaly not anti-vortex btw lol, just curious)

• Like 1

can't you use a phunnel for tobaccos that arent as wet as well tho. And aren't there smaller sized phunnel bowls. (i'm totaly not anti-vortex btw lol, just curious)

Yes you can, and they will smoke perfectly fine. Drier tobaccos just won't get the benefits that wet ones do. There are varying sizes and styles, I've got one that holds 15g and another that holds 30g
  • Like 1

Yes you can, and they will smoke perfectly fine. Drier tobaccos just won't get the benefits that wet ones do. There are varying sizes and styles, I've got one that holds 15g and another that holds 30g

i rather smoke dry shisha out of a phunnel like nahkla i do enjoy them in regular bowls but load up a bowl of mizo mint in my phunnel and it hits for days
  • Like 1

i rather smoke dry shisha out of a phunnel like nahkla i do enjoy them in regular bowls but load up a bowl of mizo mint in my phunnel and it hits for days

I don't notice a difference in smoking something like Nakhla out of Egyptians or phunnels.  They're about the same.  There's maybe a touch more airflow with a phunnel, but you can accomplish the same thing in an Egyptian if you pack it properly.

• Like 1

can't you use a phunnel for tobaccos that arent as wet as well tho.  And aren't there smaller sized phunnel bowls.  (i'm totaly not anti-vortex btw lol, just curious)

Absolutely you can. The funnel bowls are good for any shisha that you want to smoke out of. Personally me using it solely for the wettest shisha I have is just really a matter of preference. After all these years smoking I have developed a patter and way of smoking that always works perfectly for me after many, many attempts at getting used to the bowls and many unsavory sessions with burnt or under-smoked shisha. 

• Like 1

I always thought the foil sag issue was kind of odd, I've never once ran into it on a phunnel, I have on an Egyptian before ever getting a phunnel but since that doesn't effect the bowl much it didn't ruin my sessions. It was just something I figured shouldn't happen and rectified pretty quickly before knowing what a phunnel was. When I did come to the point of venturing out to try new bowls I skipped on the vortex because it didn't sound very intuitive to me, I figured the small holes on the spire wouldn't work nearly as well as just a large hole going straight down so I never tried the vortex. I'm not a hater it was just something I didn't understand as to why it was so popular, I'm a phunnel user now and haven't really looked back besides using Egyptians on occasion

I always thought the foil sag issue was kind of odd, I've never once ran into it on a phunnel, I have on an Egyptian before ever getting a phunnel but since that doesn't effect the bowl much it didn't ruin my sessions. It was just something I figured shouldn't happen and rectified pretty quickly before knowing what a phunnel was. When I did come to the point of venturing out to try new bowls I skipped on the vortex because it didn't sound very intuitive to me, I figured the small holes on the spire wouldn't work nearly as well as just a large hole going straight down so I never tried the vortex. I'm not a hater it was just something I didn't understand as to why it was so popular, I'm a phunnel user now and haven't really looked back besides using Egyptians on occasion

The main reason they were so popular was due to phunnels being in short supply. Very few companies made them at the time of tangiers releasing them. Sahara (the brand that made them) got them into a large quantity of shops quickly because they aren't handmade. I did have one for maybe a month but I went to the phunnel as soon as they hit my shops.

As for quality I didn't like them. It was ceramic opposed to clay so the heat was hard to control. I will say they are better than a mod bowl by far. I had some really good sessions coming from a mod bowl into them. Nowadays will phunnels being made by damn near every pipe company and online retailer the vortex is severely outdated. Especially in terms of the lotus and foil alternatives that simply won't work with it.

The vortex is definitely the stepping stone from egy/mod to a phunnel buts it's not a necessary step. It's a great product to get beginners and that's about it in my mind.

Also the only bowl I've had foil sag on is the harmony. It sucked that session quite literally. Haha

• Like 1