magushnik01

funnel vs vortex

The main reason they were so popular was due to phunnels being in short supply. Very few companies made them at the time of tangiers releasing them. Sahara (the brand that made them) got them into a large quantity of shops quickly because they aren't handmade. I did have one for maybe a month but I went to the phunnel as soon as they hit my shops.

As for quality I didn't like them. It was ceramic opposed to clay so the heat was hard to control. I will say they are better than a mod bowl by far. I had some really good sessions coming from a mod bowl into them. Nowadays will phunnels being made by damn near every pipe company and online retailer the vortex is severely outdated. Especially in terms of the lotus and foil alternatives that simply won't work with it.

The vortex is definitely the stepping stone from egy/mod to a phunnel buts it's not a necessary step. It's a great product to get beginners and that's about it in my mind.

Also the only bowl I've had foil sag on is the harmony. It sucked that session quite literally. Haha

That makes a lot of sense, even now I think its hard to get your hands on a Tangier's bowl, and they are always at $30 which is a little pricey in my book. I'm sure its a good option even now for people just getting into hookah since a vortex is only around $14 or so? And I've seen mod bowls sold at around $10-$12 which I think is ridiculous when a perfectly good Egyptian can run you about $3. It sounds like an easier transition from a mod bowl in terms of just getting a hookah to smoke well. Some people even still vouch that the vortex is a better option for tobacco like starbuzz than a phunnel. I don't know what Hookahrev thinks about it now a few years later but it was interesting to hear him say this as being a person with a lot of experience overall.

• Like 2

Honestly it's all in the packer if you ask me.....and I say this as a very savvy smoker that got told by someone I consider more of an expert that I was packing certain bowls wrong.

I personally stick with phunnels now because I use a lotus. But if I am at a friends or lounge you can't really tell the difference if your packer is skilled.

Easiest path to go is phunnel. Not tricky to pack and the variety in phunnels is unparalleled. But if you are looking for the best all world's, samsaris/lotus combo is divine. Never understood the craze about kaloud products until I had both. Now I rarely ever stray from them.

• Like 3

That makes a lot of sense, even now I think its hard to get your hands on a Tangier's bowl, and they are always at $30 which is a little pricey in my book. I'm sure its a good option even now for people just getting into hookah since a vortex is only around $14 or so? And I've seen mod bowls sold at around $10-$12 which I think is ridiculous when a perfectly good Egyptian can run you about $3. It sounds like an easier transition from a mod bowl in terms of just getting a hookah to smoke well. Some people even still vouch that the vortex is a better option for tobacco like starbuzz than a phunnel. I don't know what Hookahrev thinks about it now a few years later but it was interesting to hear him say this as being a person with a lot of experience overall.

I haven't had a conversation with him for awhile now but next time he's at the lounge I'll bring it up. At starbuzz you will get an option of an egy or harmony bowl, they don't sell vortex so I think that shows what he likes given he's the ceo but I'm just assuming right now. Wish he'd make videos but he does have a fairly active instagram.

• Like 1

I haven't had a conversation with him for awhile now but next time he's at the lounge I'll bring it up. At starbuzz you will get an option of an egy or harmony bowl, they don't sell vortex so I think that shows what he likes given he's the ceo but I'm just assuming right now. Wish he'd make videos but he does have a fairly active instagram.

Personally I would assume the main reason these two bowls are the only options is just because the harmony is widely available and a bigger bowl so I would assume it can go a few rounds of coal, can't say much since the only one I've owned I've dropped and broke the day after getting it. I think the Egyptian is a given since its dirt cheap, works well, and are usually pretty big too

• Like 2

Honestly it's all in the packer if you ask me.....and I say this as a very savvy smoker that got told by someone I consider more of an expert that I was packing certain bowls wrong.

I personally stick with phunnels now because I use a lotus. But if I am at a friends or lounge you can't really tell the difference if your packer is skilled.

Easiest path to go is phunnel. Not tricky to pack and the variety in phunnels is unparalleled. But if you are looking for the best all world's, samsaris/lotus combo is divine. Never understood the craze about kaloud products until I had both. Now I rarely ever stray from them.

I agree it's all in the packer. I get good results from vortex and phunnel. Just a different bubble sound due to the vortex's spire lol.

Although I can't seem to pack an Egyptian bowl very well. Usually doesn't end well, with either a short session or me just tasting burnt tobacco. I mean I can get them to smoke but yeah.. So I just stay clear of them unless I feel the need to challenge myself.

• Like 1

I typically use my vortex for dry/semi-wet shishas, and my phunnel for the really wet/dense ones.

• Like 3

I agree it's all in the packer. I get good results from vortex and phunnel. Just a different bubble sound due to the vortex's spire lol.

Although I can't seem to pack an Egyptian bowl very well. Usually doesn't end well, with either a short session or me just tasting burnt tobacco. I mean I can get them to smoke but yeah.. So I just stay clear of them unless I feel the need to challenge myself.

I love using my 3 Egyptian bowls. What I do when I pack them is leave the middle hole open and free of tobacco and it has worked great for me.

• Like 2

Honestly it's all in the packer if you ask me.....and I say this as a very savvy smoker that got told by someone I consider more of an expert that I was packing certain bowls wrong. I personally stick with phunnels now because I use a lotus. But if I am at a friends or lounge you can't really tell the difference if your packer is skilled.

I agree it's all in the packer. I get good results from vortex and phunnel. Just a different bubble sound due to the vortex's spire lol. Although I can't seem to pack an Egyptian bowl very well. Usually doesn't end well, with either a short session or me just tasting burnt tobacco. I mean I can get them to smoke but yeah.. So I just stay clear of them unless I feel the need to challenge myself.

I love using my 3 Egyptian bowls. What I do when I pack them is leave the middle hole open and free of tobacco and it has worked great for me.

It's the best way!

• Like 1

I typically use my vortex for dry/semi-wet shishas, and my phunnel for the really wet/dense ones.

I used to love my vortex bowls until I graduated to everything else. I still use it every now and then along with my hemi but I reserve them for very short sessions.

• Like 2

I love the donut method in Egyptian clay bowls, in some cases I prefer doing that over using a phunnel bowl at all, I do it with nakhla all the time and recently tried it with al fakher and it was great

• Like 2

I've never moved on from a vortex bowl, but reading this thread has intrigued me.  I've smoked for a few years, but I haven't hung around many people who possessed extensive hookah knowledge, so I never became too adventurous when it came to trying new setups.  I bought a phunnel bowl last year, and my significant other at the time tried it out while I was absent, and informed me that the clouds were pretty weak.  I guess I should have tried it myself!  I'll add it to my to-do list this week.  :)

• Like 3

I've never moved on from a vortex bowl, but reading this thread has intrigued me.  I've smoked for a few years, but I haven't hung around many people who possessed extensive hookah knowledge, so I never became too adventurous when it came to trying new setups.  I bought a phunnel bowl last year, and my significant other at the time tried it out while I was absent, and informed me that the clouds were pretty weak.  I guess I should have tried it myself!  I'll add it to my to-do list this week.  

Weak clouds? I chalk that up to user error, bad packing or mediocre shisha. Funnels are great in making for an easier draw and for keeping the juices on the bowl instead of leaking down the stem. With the vortex bowls and shisha like fumari, you still get leakage though. I usually pack it and move the shisha away from the spire. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dd0723 said:

Weak clouds? I chalk that up to user error, bad packing or mediocre shisha. Funnels are great in making for an easier draw and for keeping the juices on the bowl instead of leaking down the stem. With the vortex bowls and shisha like fumari, you still get leakage though. I usually pack it and move the shisha away from the spire. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

My curiosity has reached extreme levels, so just adding it onto my "to-do list this week" is NOT sufficient anymore.  Pulled it out of the box that it was in, and I'm about to pack it.  :P

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dd0723 said: Weak clouds? I chalk that up to user error, bad packing or mediocre shisha. Funnels are great in making for an easier draw and for keeping the juices on the bowl instead of leaking down the stem. With the vortex bowls and shisha like fumari, you still get leakage though. I usually pack it and move the shisha away from the spire. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

My curiosity has reached extreme levels, so just adding it onto my "to-do list this week" is NOT sufficient anymore.  Pulled it out of the box that it was in, and I'm about to pack it.  

Lol now that's the spirit of a go-getter. Let us know your results. I'm sure it's going to be better than what your significant other did at the time.

That's why we are here, to help each other out in this awesome lifestyle. I too don't have as many friends that partake in the hookah lifestyle so when I smoke I like to come on here and chat with everybody. 🏻

• Like 1

... failure.  :huh:  I'm not sure what I did wrong, or maybe it's due to the bowl being cheap (under $10, I think).  I had three Titanium coals on it, but it didn't seem like it was heating up adequately.

• Like 1

... failure.  :huh:  I'm not sure what I did wrong, or maybe it's due to the bowl being cheap (under $10, I think).  I had three Titanium coals on it, but it didn't seem like it was heating up adequately.

Yeah ceramic bowls like vortex and generic phunnels were not designed to hold heat throughout the bowl. You can get a phunnel on sale online for 15. Shika, hookah john bowls, the goodfella v3 and bambino, or a crown glass bowl are far more superior to ceramic bowls. Or you can go with the original phunnel by tangiers, the small is the best bet.

• Like 2

Seriously? Ok. Check the grommet to make sure it's a tight fit. Make sure the coals are in a triangle form on the outer-most of the rim. for a funnel the foil has to be drum-tight so it doesn't clog the spire. If all else fail, then take a pin and put it across the spire to improve airflow.

For the life of me I can't think of anything else why you would not have a successful smoke session with it. My only bowl is a cheap one as well. I think it was around $5.99 about 3 years ago and still smokes great.

• Like 1

Seriously? Ok. Check the grommet to make sure it's a tight fit. Make sure the coals are in a triangle form on the outer-most of the rim. for a funnel the foil has to be drum-tight so it doesn't clog the spire. If all else fail, then take a pin and put it across the spire to improve airflow.

For the life of me I can't think of anything else why you would not have a successful smoke session with it. My only bowl is a cheap one as well. I think it was around $5.99 about 3 years ago and still smokes great.

Could be packing method honestly.

More heat and overpack your tobacco slightly

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dd0723 said:

I'll try again in a couple days - I'm determined to not let this beat me, haha.  Grommet/tight fit - check (VERY tight).  Triangle on outer edge - check.  Tight foil - check.  Overpacked - check.  I'm perplexed, it should have been better.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dd0723 said: Seriously? Ok. Check the grommet to make sure it's a tight fit. Make sure the coals are in a triangle form on the outer-most of the rim. for a funnel the foil has to be drum-tight so it doesn't clog the spire. If all else fail, then take a pin and put it across the spire to improve airflow.

I'll try again in a couple days - I'm determined to not let this beat me, haha.  Grommet/tight fit - check (VERY tight).  Triangle on outer edge - check.  Tight foil - check.  Overpacked - check.  I'm perplexed, it should have been better.

That's the spirit! Do let us how it turns out. We are very intrigued that this is happening and nothing is working......... Oh wait! What brand shisha are you smoking? It could be that you don't have enough heat and you need four coals, but that's really pushing it with the heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dd0723 said:

That's the spirit! Do let us how it turns out. We are very intrigued that this is happening and nothing is working......... Oh wait! What brand shisha are you smoking? It could be that you don't have enough heat and you need four coals, but that's really pushing it with the heat.

Maybe I was too conservative when I thought I was overpacking it?  I was smoking AF mint and AF gum with mint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dd0723 said: That's the spirit! Do let us how it turns out. We are very intrigued that this is happening and nothing is working......... Oh wait! What brand shisha are you smoking? It could be that you don't have enough heat and you need four coals, but that's really pushing it with the heat.

Maybe I was too conservative when I thought I was overpacking it?  I was smoking AF mint and AF gum with mint.

I pound my af with heat and give it a good overpack with phunnels. Pop 4 coals on and drop it to three if needed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DudeWhere'sMyHookah said:

I pound my af with heat and give it a good overpack with phunnels. Pop 4 coals on and drop it to three if needed

Awesome, thanks!  I'll report back with my results.  :D

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DudeWhere'sMyHookah said: I pound my af with heat and give it a good overpack with phunnels. Pop 4 coals on and drop it to three if needed

Awesome, thanks!  I'll report back with my results.  

Ok @iotterbeinbed I did this JUST FOR YOU tonight. Packed a second bowl and I'm using one of my vortex bowls to show you how I pack it with juicy shisha like haze. If you can see in the pic, the shisha is moved away from the spire for better air flow and no dripage (is that a word?). Hope that works for ya.

ImageUploadedByHookah.org1455610580.9828

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dd0723 said:

Ok @iotterbeinbed I did this JUST FOR YOU tonight. Packed a second bowl and I'm using one of my vortex bowls to show you how I pack it with juicy shisha like haze. If you can see in the pic, the shisha is moved away from the spire for better air flow and no dripage (is that a word?). Hope that works for ya.

ImageUploadedByHookah.org1455610580.9828

thank you, everyone has been so helpful!  :)  So with a funnel bowl, do I need to move the shisha away from the spire, even though it has no holes in the side?  Also, I read that I'm not supposed to poke holes where the spire is open in the middle - is that correct?  I'm going to try again this evening, after class.

• Like 2