magushnik01

funnel vs vortex

6 hours ago, dd0723 said: Ok @iotterbeinbed I did this JUST FOR YOU tonight. Packed a second bowl and I'm using one of my vortex bowls to show you how I pack it with juicy shisha like haze. If you can see in the pic, the shisha is moved away from the spire for better air flow and no dripage (is that a word?). Hope that works for ya.

ImageUploadedByHookah.org1455610580.982833.thumb.jpg.41bae5e78624e25b7fad63f1c5d595e3.jpg

thank you, everyone has been so helpful!    So with a funnel bowl, do I need to move the shisha away from the spire, even though it has no holes in the side?  Also, I read that I'm not supposed to poke holes where the spire is open in the middle - is that correct?  I'm going to try again this evening, after class.

Moving the tobacco away from the spire on a phunnel isn't necessary, it only really helps on a vortex, when I use my 80ft bowl with al fakher I give it a slight overpack then I slide my thumb from the spire to the outer rim so I tuck the tobacco in kind of an arc, its right up to the outer rim all the way around but it still goes under the foil like a wave so its even with the spire as well, I find you can get away with a lot with AF but this works very well for me, granted I've never used a cheaper hollow ceramic phunnel before, I actually have problems with clouds on AF a lot but I don't mind since I get my flavor through, generally for me my smoke is on the weakish side the first round of coal and then I get full output the second round but that just tells me because it's taking the extra heat really well. As mentioned I'd invest in a better phunnel, I believe the Tangier's small is still on sale for $15 at 5starhookah.com, shika oblivion bowls are awesome for AF, I put 4 coals on each time and in that bowl I almost always get full clouds and flavor, that's another $15 bowl, the hookah john alien is $20 and you can find it anywhere which is a nice shisha saver and the 80ft is $23 generally, good for two rounds most of the time

PS: on the hole poking thing, it doesn't really matter, you can either poke enough holes (or big enough holes just depends on how you go about it) over the tobacco itself and not the middle spire so the draw is open enough to prevent foil sag, or you can poke holes over the spire if it sags too much, if it doesn't sag at all and you poke a bunch of holes in the middle then the draw is way too open and you're letting in a bunch of air, and most of it just going straight down the spire, it took me a lot of trial and error to get used to phunnels but yeah. You can always check the draw before you start smoking by sucking in air straight from under the bowl and see if its to your liking

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dd0723 said: Ok @iotterbeinbed I did this JUST FOR YOU tonight. Packed a second bowl and I'm using one of my vortex bowls to show you how I pack it with juicy shisha like haze. If you can see in the pic, the shisha is moved away from the spire for better air flow and no dripage (is that a word?). Hope that works for ya.

ImageUploadedByHookah.org1455610580.982833.thumb.jpg.41bae5e78624e25b7fad63f1c5d595e3.jpg

thank you, everyone has been so helpful!    So with a funnel bowl, do I need to move the shisha away from the spire, even though it has no holes in the side?  Also, I read that I'm not supposed to poke holes where the spire is open in the middle - is that correct?  I'm going to try again this evening, after class.

With the funnel you don't have to move the shisha away from the spire. That only works for vortex bowls. I usually don't poke a hole in the middle but I guess I can always try it to see what happens.